NCSOFT support... ?

NCSOFT support... ?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Dradiin.8935

Dradiin.8935

Other than GW2 i do not play any current NCSOFT associated games. Today i got a email from NCSOFT support stating the following….

A support account was created for you at the time you e-mailed NCSOFT support.
This account is required to correspond with support. NOTE: This is not your NCSOFT or game account login! It is only for support purposes.

Your support account user name is: (my email)
Your registered email address is: (my email)

Finish Creating My Account (hyper text link)

Please note that this link will expire 24 hours from the time it was sent.

So since i never did anything in over 2 years with an NCSOFT product (GW2 is an exception) I deleted the email and did nothing with it other than read it, my question is, should i be worried that the same scammers who tried to scam tons of GW2 players around the first 2 months, are they trying to do an end run using NCSOFT now ?

If i could get some sort of official reply that would be tremendous.

NCSOFT support... ?

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Double check who sent you the email and through which pop server. Everything should have a link to either arena.net or ncsoft.com. Double check for fishy links such as (examples) cnsoft, soft-NC, arena.net.tk, ….
If you find a weird host address, TYPE it over without anything behind the .com to check whether the website is legit.

To log into your real account, just go to the official NC-soft website and log in from there. Anything you’d need to do because of the email can be done over the official website.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

NCSOFT support... ?

Dradiin.8935

Double check who sent you the email and through which pop server. Everything should have a link to either arena.net or ncsoft.com. Double check for fishy links such as (examples) cnsoft, soft-NC, arena.net.tk, ….
If you find a weird host address, TYPE it over without anything behind the .com to check whether the website is legit.

To log into your real account, just go to the official NC-soft website and log in from there. Anything you’d need to do because of the email can be done over the official website.

As far as i know i do not have an NCSOFT account anymore. Last game i played made by them was City of Heroes and that was well over 2 years ago. Does NCSOFT get an automatic account creation when we make a GW2 account ?

NCSOFT support... ?

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

It says an account was (automatically) created for you because you sent them an email. Did you send them an email / support.guildwars2.com?

NCSOFT support... ?

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

As far as i know i do not have an NCSOFT account anymore. Last game i played made by them was City of Heroes and that was well over 2 years ago. Does NCSOFT get an automatic account creation when we make a GW2 account ?

Your NCsoft account will not be deleted under any circumstances, not even after 2+ years of inactivity.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

NCSOFT support... ?

Dradiin.8935

It says an account was (automatically) created for you because you sent them an email. Did you send them an email / support.guildwars2.com?

No thats why i found it rather odd, i have not done anything with NCSOFT in over 2 years and that was with City of Heroes. The only connection to NCSOFT i have currently is with GW2.

NCSOFT support... ?

Healix.5819

The email originates from https://help.ncsoft.com. It’s like support.guildwars2.com but for NC accounts. If you send an email to support@ncsoft.com, they should automatically reply with that email.

The only other case I found mentioning the email is https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Support-Account-insists-I-don-t-exist/

Someone could have sent them an email with your return address, but the email you received would have had a legit link in it, like the one in the above thread. Maybe you accidently forwarded, replied or sent an email to them, or they found a ticket you made years ago.

NCSOFT support... ?

Posted by: Manoa.5897

Manoa.5897

Considering you didn’t send NCSoft support an e-mail and all GW2 support is through ArenaNet (unlike COH, where the support was via NCSoft), it looks phishy to me.

As mentioned above, your NCSoft Master Account never goes away (mine still exists, even though COH is no more). But the support account is a separate account and IIRC, an NCSoft support account is only created if you actively create one (I don’t think NCSoft automatically creates these support accounts, it has to be user created).

So two possibilities…1) someone is trying to use your account credentials to create a fake NCSoft support account or 2) it’s a phishing scam to try to steal your credentials by looking like a legitimate e-mail.

If you want to look into it, you most certainly can. But be sure you go directly to the NCSoft account site and NCSoft support site to investigate (do not use the link in the e-mail, it may be spoofed).

Chaos Spatulai [Chef] | Paragon City Elite [PCE]
Henge of Denravi

NCSOFT support... ?

Dradiin.8935

The email originates from https://help.ncsoft.com. It’s like support.guildwars2.com but for NC accounts. If you send an email to support@ncsoft.com, they should automatically reply with that email.

The only other case I found mentioning the email is https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Support-Account-insists-I-don-t-exist/

Someone could have sent them an email with your return address, but the email you received would have had a legit link in it, like the one in the above thread. Maybe you accidently forwarded, replied or sent an email to them, or they found a ticket you made years ago.

Nope none of that, i have never had an issue with any of my NCSOFT accounts (even Auto Assault{miss you AA}). I have never interacted with NCSOFT support other than creation of accounts.

This did not come from me, or an error from me, this was unsolicited and random.

NCSOFT support... ?

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

Sounds dodgy. I wouldn’t use that link.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

NCSOFT support... ?

Healix.5819

The NC support account and GW2 support account actually use the same account and send the same email with just minor differences.

If the link was http://en.support.guildwars2.com/app/account/setup_password/…, it was from GW2 support.
If the link was https://help.ncsoft.com/app/account/setup_password/… it was from NC support.

The email is only sent if they’re trying to contact you, for whatever reason. If you manually make an account, you can put in whatever email you want and they don’t even bother confirming it. They don’t even bother sending you an email confirming that an account was made, so if someone was trying to make an account in your name, they would have already done so. Phishing a support account is pointless anyways, since proof of ownership and identity is required to do any harm.

NCSOFT support... ?

Dradiin.8935

The NC support account and GW2 support account actually use the same account and send the same email with just minor differences.

If the link was http://en.support.guildwars2.com/app/account/setup_password/…, it was from GW2 support.
If the link was https://help.ncsoft.com/app/account/setup_password/… it was from NC support.

The email is only sent if they’re trying to contact you, for whatever reason. If you manually make an account, you can put in whatever email you want and they don’t even bother confirming it. They don’t even bother sending you an email confirming that an account was made, so if someone was trying to make an account in your name, they would have already done so. Phishing a support account is pointless anyways, since proof of ownership and identity is required to do any harm.

Ummm i am not sure what you are getting at ?

I know this, if you had read what i stated above then you would know i read the email from NCSOFT support and proceeded to delete it. I came here to let others know about its creation, and possible way of scammers attempting to scam players from a new source.

NCSOFT support... ?

Posted by: nethykins.7986

nethykins.7986

I got a “survey” from Ncsoft after i got an infraction overturned.

Didn’t fill it in though, so perhaps its safe not to?

NCSOFT support... ?

Posted by: ragingpuma.4618

ragingpuma.4618

It sounds like one of those stupid emails i always get too. I got one for wow and runescape even though i do not play either of those games.

NCSOFT support... ?

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Hey there. I think I can put your mind at ease. NCSOFT is our parent company and many of our GMs work at NCSOFT offices. So getting an email saying that you have an NCSOFT support account is perfectly fine, as long as it truly came from us. Please note that we recommend reviewing all links in all emails, so that you know that if it says “Click here” and it leads to shadywebsite.com, you won’t go there, but if it leads to Arena.Net, or GuildWars2, or NCSOFT, you’re ok.

If you are certain that you did not reach out to us in any way — the support.guildwars2.com site, and email to support@guildwars2.com, a contact to forums@arena.net, a phone call, whatever — then I want to see the email. Please update me on whether you did any of those things.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

NCSOFT support... ?

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I got a “survey” from Ncsoft after i got an infraction overturned.

Didn’t fill it in though, so perhaps its safe not to?

We do send surveys. I got one for making a “test” ticket, in fact. No worries, but naturally check the link before clicking through. It should go to an NCsoft.com address.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

NCSOFT support... ?

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

Ummm i am not sure what you are getting at ?

I know this, if you had read what i stated above then you would know i read the email from NCSOFT support and proceeded to delete it. I came here to let others know about its creation, and possible way of scammers attempting to scam players from a new source.

What they are asking is, have you tried to contact GW2 support? If you have, then that account is the support’s way to communicate with you. GW2 uses the parent company for support access.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

NCSOFT support... ?

Previous

Gaile Gray

What they are asking is, have you tried to contact GW2 support? If you have, then that account is the support’s way to communicate with you. GW2 uses the parent company for support access.

Correct. We have some CS Agents in Bellevue, at the ArenaNet studio. I work at the studio, as well. Many agents work at the NCsoft offices in Austin, Texas. So getting an email from our parent company — NCSOFT — is not in and of itself any cause for alarm.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

NCSOFT support... ?

Dradiin.8935

I think this all coincided with an infraction I received from a post where I was accused of “calling out” an Anet response. When I received this infraction I sent a pm contesting the infraction stating there was no grounds of a callout.

I got a reply, and I got the above email from NCSOFT.

Maybe I am reaching here but after some thought, they kind of go hand in hand.

If I could get a confirmation that my surmation is indeed correct or incorrect I would be very pleased with the information.

NCSOFT support... ?

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

I think this all coincided with an infraction I received from a post where I was accused of “calling out” an Anet response. When I received this infraction I sent a pm contesting the infraction stating there was no grounds of a callout.

I got a reply, and I got the above email from NCSOFT.

Maybe I am reaching here but after some thought, they kind of go hand in hand.

If I could get a confirmation that my surmation is indeed correct or incorrect I would be very pleased with the information.

Then it sounds like they set up a support account for you as that is how they handle 99% of their support issues. If you go to the NCSOFT support website (I’m certain an Anet employee has posted it on the forums) and attempt to log in, you’ll see that they created you and account for any further issues.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

NCSOFT support... ?

Posted by: Goshu.9658

Goshu.9658

Just got this one. Sounds like a scam but the addresses seem fine.

Please Verify Your Email Address

Click the button below to verify your email address and apply it to your account.

Verify Now

For security reasons, you must verify your email address within the next 24 hours.

If you do not verify your email address within the next 24 hours, you will be required to re-enter your email address and display name information the next time you log in to your account.
If you are unable to verify your email address by clicking on the button above, click the link below or copy and paste it into your address bar.

https://secure.ncsoft.com/cgi-bin/playncCreate.pl?action=verify_create&auth=[xxxx]

The NCSOFT Team
If you have any questions about the registration process or your NC Account, please visit NCSOFT Support: http://us.ncsoft.com/uk/support/

NCSOFT support... ?

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I’m always very suspicious of emails that tell me I need to verify something within a set time period.

Anyway, that one looks like a scam. The ncsoft accounts remain active even if they haven’t been touched for years. And there is certainly no rush to verify within 24 hours. They’ve also said repeatedly that they don’t contact you first. You contact them and if they do send you information first it doesn’t have a reply link.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)