Name Questions? Please read [merged]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

It seems you do want to change your log-in name, that is, the email address associated with the account. Go ahead and contact Support by filing a ticket through the “Ask a Question” tab on that linked page. They will be able to assist you. For tips on what information to provide in a ticket — mostly intended for security reasons to establish that you own the account — please read this post and provide as much as possible to expedite the ticket.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Calmwinds.4753

Calmwinds.4753

Dreamstrom, if you purchased your account fairly recently and don’t mind losing it, I think you can apply for a refund. Once you obtain it, you recreate a new account. This way you can type the display name correctly. This is the only way I see you fixing the name. I think it’s fair since the help desk can’t help you, so help yourself. Cheers

Oh, also, if you can prove to them that your first name is Dream and your last name is Strom, they can change it for you. I believe the feature is already in place they just don’t allow us to change it ourselves but they will change it for you in that circumstance.

(edited by Calmwinds.4753)

Posted by: Paid Thee Hippo.6340

Paid Thee Hippo.6340

Hey all,

I’ve bought Guildwars 2 yesterday, installed it and created an account. Apparently my email is hacked for some weird reason, and I cannot sign in to verify my account and start playing. I’ve tried to contact or reset my password, but nothing happened, so I’m wondering if there is any other way I can transfer my account to another email?! The hacked email is Hotmail or Outlook and I want to transfer it to Gmail.
I need your help because this is really frustrating.

Thanks all…

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

You should probably contact support:

support.guildwars2.com
‘Ask a Question’

Also, I’m not sure if your user name here will fly since it appears to reference drug use. The rules on names are pretty strict. Of course it could have something to do with flowers pots I suppose.

Also have you tried to recover the password for your email account?

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Berserker.9372

Berserker.9372

Bob, at this point, there’s no way to change display names unless it’s a security issue like mentioned above. You have some options however:
1. Prove to them that there really is an a securty issue.
2. Go to Suggestions and suggest that this feature be implemented as was mentioned in the Q&A page around GW2 release time (unfortunately was taken down).
3. Finally, if it’s a fairly new account, within 6 months, and you don’t mind losing whatever progress you’ve made on the account, you can get a refund. When you get the refund, you can repurchase the game and recreate a new account/Display Name.

GL!

Posted by: Axe Sushi.1924

Axe Sushi.1924

i feel the need to post it here since CS ticket doesn’t really help me out i stopped playing way way back november i never get to change my email ever since i lost all the information needed.

– Your Guild Wars 2 purchase Order ID provided in the receipt of the purchase(s). (if available)
– The e-mail address you used when making the purchase. (if available)
or
—If the payment was attempted by credit/debit card, please provide the last 4 digits of the credit/debit card used ONLY.
– If the payment was attempted using PayPal®, the invoice ID or transaction ID from your PayPal® payment history for the transaction.

i can provide anything else besides those what time i created the account date year and such but those that are needed are gone. any other way or my account is just gonna stay like that forever btw i can still login without any problems i just wanna prevent future problems from happening. like when i forgot my password well if nothing can be done i will just forget about all this then. and wait till change email option will be available once again. have a great day.

i don’t have my serial code anymore it is lost in the cybernetic space that is why i WILL never ever purchase ask someone to purchase online for me anymore.

besides my serial code what should i do im running out of options i stopped playing more than 6 months ago and i think it’s a good time to see if things have changed ingame.

Stand Tall and Shake The Heavens!
[Beastgate]
[Urge]Chicken Poo

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Dreamstrom, if you purchased your account fairly recently and don’t mind losing it, I think you can apply for a refund. Once you obtain it, you recreate a new account. This way you can type the display name correctly. This is the only way I see you fixing the name. I think it’s fair since the help desk can’t help you, so help yourself. Cheers

Oh, also, if you can prove to them that your first name is Dream and your last name is Strom, they can change it for you. I believe the feature is already in place they just don’t allow us to change it ourselves but they will change it for you in that circumstance.

Be aware that if one gets a refund, the account is permanently closed AND the credit card associated with it is disabled and may not be used in the future in any purchases related to Guild Wars or Guild Wars 2 (or any other NCsoft game). This means that it may not be possible to simply get a refund and start a new account.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

We have no idea why, but this post — created 24 May — somehow became dated 11 May. Our forum administrator is aware and will investigate that issue. In the meantime, I’m posting to get this back to the top, because it contains info that I think players will want to know!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Due to forum issues, I must bump this again to get it up to the first page.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Enoradlac Nayr.6809

Enoradlac Nayr.6809

Yeah, shame it isn’t easy to change it. I also made mine in haste, but I’m not particularly opposed to it. I understand ANET’s hesitation to allow free and easy changes (although one freebie might not be bad) in regard to the forum community. I’m brand new to GW2, and MMO’s in general. I hope to enjoy playing the game and interacting in these forums— I love the UI and the design here.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Welcome to Tyria, and the forums, Enoradlac Nayr!

Posted by: MarcoCardoso.1054

MarcoCardoso.1054

Evening

When I was signing up to GW2 I didn’t knew what was the Display name, so I unfortunatly used my real name.
In games I don’t like to use my name and is a bit uncomfortable. I would like to know if i can change it.
Also, and I don’t know if this is possible at all, i need to change my email (account name), because i think someone is hacking it.

Thank you

Posted by: GuildWarsPlayer.5608

GuildWarsPlayer.5608

Can I change my email address on my account for security purposes ? I know the password can be changed but I didn’t see a way to change an email address.

Posted by: sirfire.6325

sirfire.6325

I have recently made a new email and would like to change it to that one.

Posted by: snugels.8432

snugels.8432

Is it possible to change emails? I want to change my current one (it’s girlfriend’s) with mine. If so, how? I google it, looked thrue forum and didn’t found where to submit ticket…

The reason I have girlfriend’s email is because, she gave me guild wars 2 as a present for birthday and she was with me when I wanted to register. I do have free trial account from april but there was an error when I tried to upgrade the account so she insisted to use hers.

EDIT: Problem solved, I told my girlfriend to submit ticket and after 4 hours I got my email changed which was really a surprise how fast it was. Supporters are there for us in need which I really appreciate!

(edited by snugels.8432)

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

sharing an account is against the user agreement so what you are doing is technically against the rules.

Basically you shouldn’t have listened to your girlfriend when she insisted to use hers (and believe me, normally im on the woman’s side in a discussion, they just hit too hard :P ).

Having said that, the best way to solve it is to come open to Arenanet. Basicly your girlfriend is the account owner, so she has to open a supportticket explaining that she never used the account herself and that it was mend as a gift but she made a mistake. She can request to rectify this mistake by changing the emailadres to yours.

Keep in mind that account ownership issues are very difficult for support to solve cause they don’t want the wrong person to get access. In the end you (likely due to un-awareness) have broken the rules of this game and it might be problamatic for support to sort it out.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: snugels.8432

snugels.8432

thank you mercury ranique, i was not awere of that. It is also the reason I want to change email so I am the owner of the account and not her.

And as you said, she used her ‘’innocent and cute side’’ which all guys can’t resist

Posted by: MarcoCardoso.1054

MarcoCardoso.1054

Is funny, the suport that they give me is send me 4 times an email like this…

Your recent incident update was from an email address not associated
with the incident. In an effort to maintain the security of
information, we cannot update the incident using this email address.
If you are the incident owner and your email address has changed, or
you want to be able to update the incident using this email account,
please update your contact information using the following link, then
resubmit your update.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Is funny, the suport that they give me is send me 4 times an email like this…

Your recent incident update was from an email address not associated
with the incident. In an effort to maintain the security of
information, we cannot update the incident using this email address.
If you are the incident owner and your email address has changed, or
you want to be able to update the incident using this email account,
please update your contact information using the following link, then
resubmit your update.

As you can imagine, unscrupulous people will write Support saying, “Hey my account is XYZ and I need you to give me access,” or “I want you to change Account Name A to Account Name B.” These are both ways that your account could be stolen, if we were to do that without verifying ownership.

That is why you’re being asked the questions, and that is why we really need to have the answers. Thanks for understanding.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: SiegHawk.7981

SiegHawk.7981

What if we own 2 guildwars 2 account? Because i bought 2 guild wars 2 copy with 2 seperate keys one was for me and one was for my friend so i was wonder since my friend quit the game does the account still count as minds sincei bought them both? i have both the game copy with me and the keys as well to prove it. also i used a yahoo.email on my account so is it possible to change that email later on, if yahoo doesnt work cuzi read the first post from this thread abut yahoo email not working after augst.

Dragonbrand [EAT]
All I want is pure destruction!

Inculpatus cedo.9234

What if we own 2 guildwars 2 account? Because i bought 2 guild wars 2 copy with 2 seperate keys one was for me and one was for my friend so i was wonder since my friend quit the game does the account still count as minds sincei bought them both? i have both the game copy with me and the keys as well to prove it. also i used a yahoo.email on my account so is it possible to change that email later on, if yahoo doesnt work cuzi read the first post from this thread abut yahoo email not working after augst.

Just to put your mind at rest about Yahoo mail service, it isn’t shutting down, merely changing to another version that some people may be uncomfortable with. You can keep your Yahoo mail account, if you agree to the new terms.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

The person who registers the account usually is considered the account owner. You are welcome to discuss your specific case with Support and they can give you the info you need about the accounts you’re concerned about.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Ike Witt.8425

Ike Witt.8425

I am curious about one of my character names. It is a name that I use in Guild Wars and I have used it in Guild Wars 2. I remade the character a few times and the last time I tried to remake the character, the name was in use. How is that possible?

Michael Minkler is a jerkwad
Northern Shiverpeaks
Zealots Of Shiverpeak [ZoS]

Posted by: CptTrips.6512

CptTrips.6512

Maybe the name of the char is seen as “in use” if you are too fast in recreating after deleting.
just a guess.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I am curious about one of my character names. It is a name that I use in Guild Wars and I have used it in Guild Wars 2. I remade the character a few times and the last time I tried to remake the character, the name was in use. How is that possible?

Did you remake the new character within 24 hours? Names are reserved for 24 hours after deletion.

Posted by: Ike Witt.8425

Ike Witt.8425

Maybe the name of the char is seen as “in use” if you are too fast in recreating after deleting.
just a guess.

Did you remake the new character within 24 hours? Names are reserved for 24 hours after deletion.

No, it was not within 24 hours. Actually, it has been about 2-3 weeks between when I last used the name and then tried to use it again.

Michael Minkler is a jerkwad
Northern Shiverpeaks
Zealots Of Shiverpeak [ZoS]

Inculpatus cedo.9234

just a guess.

No, it was not within 24 hours. Actually, it has been about 2-3 weeks between when I last used the name and then tried to use it again.

As stated, names are only reserved for 24 hours. If it’s been two or three weeks, the name was probably used by someone else in that time. Sorry about that. =)

Posted by: BRAVO.1576

BRAVO.1576

How do I delete my account name?

mercury ranique.2170

You mean BRAVO.1576??
Answer is you can’t. It is unique to your account and it can’t be changed or deleted.

You can stop playing and create a whole new account starting all your characters and wealth from nothing. you need to buy a new copy of the game then.

But may I ask what you hope to accomplish with your question??. It might make it clearer for me or others here to help you.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

How do I delete my account name?

Are you asking how to change the email address associated with your account? Or asking how to change your display name?

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

If you have questions about names, please read the initial post in this thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Log-in-Account-Name-Questions-Please-read-merged/first#post2087181

Thank you.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

mercury ranique.2170

Bump up (this was on page 3)

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I would like folks to see this thread, but I’m hesitant to make another sticky. So here’s a post to move it back to Page 1.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

mercury ranique.2170

I would like folks to see this thread, but I’m hesitant to make another sticky. So here’s a post to move it back to Page 1.

Hey Gaile,

I’m also a bit afraid of the amount of sticky’s. Especially cause its proven that the more you get the less people tend to read them. So I took the liberty to go through them and give some cleaning up advice. Trash this in your mind if you disagree with me and use it for free if you like this

Missing posts? probly moved or merged Everyone who got a moved or merged post gets a pm on the forum. Besides that I don’t see this happening very often in the account section and it applies to the entire forum. Maybe ask Mark Katzbach to put a sticky into the forum bugs section. This is where people should be going if they miss a post. I don’t see the issue in here more then e.g. the Players helping players part of the forum that doesn’t have this as a sticky.

Multiple Tickets: Don’t do it! Though this is an important thing, I’m not seeing the sticky doing a lot of good. Maybe put it in the how to submit a ticket. People who are new to the proces and are actually reading sticky’s will see it there. It is also already in the do’s and dont’s

The Change Your Password Message Most active people have allready seen this.

Account Restoration Information and Mike O’Brien’s Article on Account Security should in my opinion be merged in something called
‘Afraid of hackers or got your account hacked? Read this!’ Everyone should read Mike’s article, but specially those who are in need of an account restoration. First of all cause they only get one restoration and second of all they have an issue with a hacker right now. Besides that seeing what happens when you get hacked and what things you have to go through are a good warning. So perhaps make one sticky for this. First explain what a hacked account is and what the consequences are (the image of getting to your character select screen and seeing them all naked works so perfectly, so maybe use that as an example??). Then continue with a link to Mike’s article to explain what people can do against it. after that start with a chapter bout what people have to do when they got hacked. Last chapter then can be bout account restoration.

Hope this helps a bit, but this is your account issues forum. So totally up to you

Posted by: MilgoEU.9561

MilgoEU.9561

I made my GW2 account last April, shortly before the 1st BWE. Somehow I missed on the registration site that the display name will be shown ingame, and people will recognize me by that. So I messed up badly, and I want to drop the ‘EU’ since then.

Furthermore I dont really play my ‘Milgo * insert surname *’ chars anymore, confusing my guildmates also. You can imagine how frustrating it can be.

I will praise the day when Anet allow us to change display name, even if it’s a one-time allowance.

Posted by: Taylor.2096

Taylor.2096

how do i do it? i recently had my old email hacked into and i’m afraid that they might have personal information and i cannot log onto it anymore.

mercury ranique.2170

Posted by: Kimitsu.9356

Kimitsu.9356

This is not an issue but rather a question, and since i couldnt find any releveant place to post this i decided to post it here. Forgive me if this is not where it is suppose to be, but i wanted to know is it possible to change your account name. I ask this because my account name is not relevant to my character that i own in game, hacked issues, and therefore would like to change it to a character that i do own.

An example would be in guild roster there is a name in grey next to the currently online player. I would like to change that grey name to a character that i do own.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

This is not an issue but rather a question, and since i couldnt find any releveant place to post this i decided to post it here. Forgive me if this is not where it is suppose to be, but i wanted to know is it possible to change your account name. I ask this because my account name is not relevant to my character that i own in game, hacked issues, and therefore would like to change it to a character that i do own.

An example would be in guild roster there is a name in grey next to the currently online player. I would like to change that grey name to a character that i do own.

Unfortunately, account name-changes are not available except in cases of security issues. There may come a time such an option will be offered (in the Gem Store), but not anytime in the foreseeable future.

Posted by: wcmdd.2783

wcmdd.2783

I want to change my login email.Can I?

mercury ranique.2170

Posted by: Hefers.6814

Hefers.6814

Why can’t arena net be like the other companies out there and yet us change our EMAIL ADDRESS. /end rant. Total kittenness.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Why can’t arena net be like the other companies out there and yet us change our EMAIL ADDRESS. /end rant. Total kittenness.

You can change the email address associated with your game account at any time by contacting Customer Support:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Log-in-Account-Name-Questions-Please-read-merged/first

Good luck. =)

mercury ranique.2170

First off all I dislike your tone. Second off all, a bit of searching can help you

Arenanet let you changer your email. But to garantee your security and protect you from hackers (email plays an important part in verfication when yu log-in, not only casue it is your login name but also cause the verification mail for strange IP-adresses is sent there) they want to do it manually through support so they can check you are you.

Goodluck!

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Do you mean your display name or your account (log-in) name?

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Quite a few posts sprang up on this topic, so I merged them into this thread. You’ll likely find your answer in the first post.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

We’ve seen a few threads about display name changes, so I will add some information in the first post on this thread and in addition, want to post it here:

To those asking for changes to the Display Name: There are very good reasons why we do not offer the changes as a service at this time. It’s important in any game — and especially in an MMO with the high number and visibility of player interactions — to create a “personal history” for an account. I don’t mean your in-game “personal story” but a history of your account as viewed in the game.

If we allow changes of display names, a person who has been harassing another player will be hidden from that victim’s sight. A person who has built up a reputation for cheating, or botting, or doing other breaches of the UA, becomes invisible to those players who were aware of the issue and were awaiting action on the matter. Several other factors of “individual accountability” can be negated by simply hiding behind a new display name.

I take on board things like typos in making a name. But assessing the difference between a change and a correction can be difficult, and at this time, we’re holding firm on the “no changes” policy. There are two reasonable exceptions:

• An offensive name will be changed — once — and it will be changed by a GM using an anagram system, so the user does not get the privilege of choosing the second name.
  • A display name will be changed to prevent the disclosure of personal information. For instance, the display name is the player’s real name or even email address. We have improved the account creation process to make it clear how display names function, and we even have expanded the User Agreement to accomplish the same objective. If players know that your display name is actually displayed in the game and on the forums, they’ll be less likely to use a name that poses a security risk. If they know that using an offensive name results in a randomly chosen name, they’ll be less likely — one hopes — to choose an unacceptable name.

Some of the same arguments about display name changes also applied to character names, but as you know, we made that option available when the feature could be properly developed. At some point we may make a feature available that allows a player to change his/her display name, but if we do, I am confident it will take into consideration all the risks of those changes, and address them effectively.

In the meantime, and with all due respect, we will decline to change display names unless they involve one of the two exceptions cited above.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Kevinanderson.1835

Kevinanderson.1835

Why can we not change our email addresses ?

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Posted by: Michael Fejervary.8576

Michael Fejervary.8576

Gaile, understanding and not suggesting as an immediate consideration (as this is something I myself have no need for), but as far as display name requests there is a way to do it while following all the “Very Good” reasons you stated above.

First: It should always be a “Paid Service” set more toward a premium price (not just an easy “Meh, 800 gems is nothing to me” so as to discourage its frequent use.

Second: If a person has had any complaints of harassment or anything for that matter that has flagged their account for investigation it will not allow a change at all until fully resolved.

Third: If they had been found at fault for breaking the various rules that being able to change a name would restart their reputation, etc then this can not be done for at least 6 months from the last occurrence (if ever).

Fourth (and onward): Whatever else of importance to prevent issues that I may have forgotten.

Now provided an account passes all of those then a player can do one once every 3 months and when they do they will have something like “Formally Known As” in a popup box when their display name is hovered over.

If a player has not been found to break any rules then past names could start to fall off over a period of time as if they have not broke any rules then they really are not a threat to be in need of starting over with a new name, and maybe this can start at 6 months to 1 year depending on their reputation and track record on their account.

Of course if they become an issue then they just don’t get the fall off or another name change later.

I only suggest the fall off phase based on an issue I had when I was setting up my “Steam” account where I was following what it said to do and due to an error it goofed up my display name to at first only display half my name which I corrected right away, but now thanks that error (which I fixed within seconds) it forever shows me as having a name that was not even my first display name.

Bottom line though had that not happened it would not even have a former display name to be looked up as I have never changed it, nor do I want to.

I was considering suggesting the above, but I have not as of yet as it seems you were trying to condense all of this to one thread.

(edited by Michael Fejervary.8576)