Name Questions? Please read [merged]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

Why can’t arena net be like the other companies out there and yet us change our EMAIL ADDRESS. /end rant. Total kittenness.

Because of the fact that the email associated with the account is the log-in name, Anet makes you contact support to change it.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I don’t believe you can. I believe part of the reason is for tracking players in the event something needs to be done with the account. Also so people can’t cause problems for other players then change their name so they are not recognized by the people they caused problems with.

Edit: Here you go more info on the topic.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Log-in-Account-Name-Questions-Please-read-merged/page/2#post2258307

The Burninator

Posted by: cal.4718

cal.4718

Thank you kindly

Posted by: marekB.9267

marekB.9267

Hi i need change my adress email and i dont find a options please help me i change my aderss and email

Posted by: gassy.8975

gassy.8975

Rajani Isa.6294

cal, if it’s a new account and you don’t mind losing it, you should be able to get a refund (within 6 months of purchase). Then just repurchase a new account after.

If you decide to do this, I’d delete everything off the account first, to make sure the names are freed up.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Refunding deactivates that credit card also tho. And if you attempt to link your old account to the new one it causes problems and you will have to contact support.

From Gaile Gray, another thread:
“Be aware that if one gets a refund, the account is permanently closed AND the credit card associated with it is disabled and may not be used in the future in any purchases related to Guild Wars or Guild Wars 2 (or any other NCsoft game). This means that it may not be possible to simply get a refund and start a new account”.

Refunding is a somewhat extreme solution, just because you dislike your account name.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Axe Sushi.1924

Axe Sushi.1924

i have been waiting MONTHS and MONTHS for me to change my email without asking lots of stuff I AM the one and only owner of the account and it was a gift to me on my birthday i can provide even the exact TIME and DATE when it was created and registered but sadly ANET doesn’t want that he wants receipt paypal invoice and other things WHAT ELSE ( i don’t have those anymore )

Stand Tall and Shake The Heavens!
[Beastgate]
[Urge]Chicken Poo

Posted by: Calmwinds.4753

Calmwinds.4753

Just contact support and explain to them that you made a mistake on your Display Name and would like to repurchase the game after a refund so you can make a new one(since you can’t change it yourself). They might not flag your CC if you explain. If they do, don’t you have more than 1 CC?

Calmwinds.4753

Gaile, understanding and not suggesting as an immediate consideration (as this is something I myself have no need for), but as far as display name requests there is a way to do it while following all the “Very Good” reasons you stated above.

First: It should always be a “Paid Service” set more toward a premium price (not just an easy “Meh, 800 gems is nothing to me” so as to discourage its frequent use.

Second: If a person has had any complaints of harassment or anything for that matter that has flagged their account for investigation it will not allow a change at all until fully resolved.

Third: If they had been found at fault for breaking the various rules that being able to change a name would restart their reputation, etc then this can not be done for at least 6 months from the last occurrence (if ever).

Fourth (and onward): Whatever else of importance to prevent issues that I may have forgotten.

Now provided an account passes all of those then a player can do one once every 3 months and when they do they will have something like “Formally Known As” in a popup box when their display name is hovered over.

If a player has not been found to break any rules then past names could start to fall off over a period of time as if they have not broke any rules then they really are not a threat to be in need of starting over with a new name, and maybe this can start at 6 months to 1 year depending on their reputation and track record on their account.

Of course if they become an issue then they just don’t get the fall off or another name change later.

I only suggest the fall off phase based on an issue I had when I was setting up my “Steam” account where I was following what it said to do and due to an error it goofed up my display name to at first only display half my name which I corrected right away, but now thanks that error (which I fixed within seconds) it forever shows me as having a name that was not even my first display name.

Bottom line though had that not happened it would not even have a former display name to be looked up as I have never changed it, nor do I want to.

I was considering suggesting the above, but I have not as of yet as it seems you were trying to condense all of this to one thread.

^This solves it.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

Just contact support and explain to them that you made a mistake on your Display Name and would like to repurchase the game after a refund so you can make a new one(since you can’t change it yourself). They might not flag your CC if you explain. If they do, don’t you have more than 1 CC?

I would strongly suggest against this method. It is misuse of a system for something it ins’t intended for. You are basicly saying that the game is bad and you made a mistake buying it and then directly buying it again.

The displayname is often more a big thing for the person then for the people around them. Besides that, they are looking in ways of offering you and others a good and solid way to do this in the future.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Calmwinds.4753

I would strongly suggest against this method. It is misuse of a system for something it ins’t intended for. You are basicly saying that the game is bad and you made a mistake buying it and then directly buying it again.

The displayname is often more a big thing for the person then for the people around them. Besides that, they are looking in ways of offering you and others a good and solid way to do this in the future.

A feature which btw may never come.

I always thought the refund was there for satisfaction guarantee or something. If the OP is not satisfied because he’s bothered by the Display Name, I think it’s a valid reason.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

A feature which btw may never come.

I always thought the refund was there for satisfaction guarantee or something. If the OP is not satisfied because he’s bothered by the Display Name, I think it’s a valid reason.

No it absolutely is not a valid reason, and the account will be irrevocably closed. Any achievements or acquisitions will be lost, names will be lost, and if a GW account is linked, that HoM will be lost forever as well. Please do not suggest this again.

- snip suggestions -

Thank you, but I thought I should mention that every one of your suggestions has been discussed over the last year or so. In my ideal world, display name changes would be a Gem Store purchase, would be infrequent or one-per-customer, and would not be allowed for accounts that had sustained significant infractions. So yes, we’ve already thought through these and many other elements and if the feature comes to be, the team responsible for its design is well aware of the various permutations of what we should offer.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: Kitkat.9860

Kitkat.9860

Hi everyone!

I would like to know if it is possible i change my user name. So my user name is Kitkat but i wanna change it. Is that possible? If yes how do i do it? Without buying a new game

Posted by: Zondoros.7460

Zondoros.7460

Hello, I reacently changed my e-mail address, but I can’t find the option in the account page to change it… My old address doesn’t work anymore so I’m not shure that i will be able to get any e-mails from Arena Net or the game..
Pleace help!

mercury ranique.2170

from a post by Gaile (the support liason):

I want to change my display name
This is not a service that is available, either through a purchase or through Support. Unless there is a specific privacy issues — that is, you used your real name or your email address for you in-game and forum display name — the name is permanent. If you fall into the small number of people who did use your real name or email address, contact Support for assistance. Please do not write Support asking for exceptions, for they will not be made.

mercury ranique.2170

You can’t change it yourself. Due to it being an important part of your account you need to file a supportticket. Support will verify you are the rightfull owner of the account and change it for you. Check here how to contact support:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/How-to-Submit-a-Ticket-Account-Issues-2

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I’ve merged name questions again. Please read my posts in this thread for your answers. (And if you search “Name” in the future, you should find this thread, to avoid us hosting and answering a mass of posts on the same topic.)

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: SusanDeath.2469

SusanDeath.2469

I want to change my accounts email and where it will authentications to when I log in from a weird place, but I can’t figure out how to do it.

mercury ranique.2170

Posted by: Ayleid.9416

Ayleid.9416

hello everyone and sorry for my english…

i’m going to explain my problem: i have wrong display name and i wont to change it but i don’t know how.
i still have the original email that arenanet has inviated me and in that email. my display name is the display name i chose, but my name in game and in the forum is wrong…
is the same of my brother’s account display name! we have registered our account during beta testing. i have linked my gw2 account and my brother try to do the same with my gw account and after that my display name become the same as my brother’s display name…
please, i wont change it because i usually use an other name and people didn’t recognize me!

Astral Projections.7320

I’m afraid it’s permanent. Their policy is they don’t change display names unless they are the person’s actual name or if they violate TOS.

From a previous thread:
“This is not a service that is available, either through a purchase or through Support. Unless there is a specific privacy issues — that is, you used your real name or your email address for you in-game and forum display name — the name is permanent. If you fall into the small number of people who did use your real name or email address, contact Support for assistance. Please do not write Support asking for exceptions, for they will not be made”.
Gaile Gray
Support Liaison
ArenaNet

They separate identical display names by using the numbers at the end. In your case the .9416, and I assume your brother has a different set of numbers at the end. Only if the 2 are exactly the same with identical numbers will you have a case for getting it changed.

mercury ranique.2170

Hi Ayleid, if I understand you right your issue is that you choose displayname A, but ended up with display name B??

If have heard bout this before ( only one time). You should file a support ticket and ask them to investigate. If it is indeed a bug at your site they can fix it, if you did something wrong they can’t.

@Astral, please read his post and my interpretation. I do believe you understood him wrong.

Astral Projections.7320

Hi Ayleid, if I understand you right your issue is that you choose displayname A, but ended up with display name B??

If have heard bout this before ( only one time). You should file a support ticket and ask them to investigate. If it is indeed a bug at your site they can fix it, if you did something wrong they can’t.

@Astral, please read his post and my interpretation. I do believe you understood him wrong.

The problem seems to be his brother tried to link his account to OPs GW account and then the names changed, from what I understand him to be saying. That may not be a bug, but a consequence of what his brother did.

Even if its a bug, he has been using this display name since beta and is only now trying to change it. Since Gaile has already said they only change for real names, email names or names that break TOS, they may change it but it probably unlikely.

Posted by: Aiza Lunae.3162

Aiza Lunae.3162

I haven’t seen any options in my account settings to change my email address? is this allowed?

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

I haven’t seen any options in my account settings to change my email address? is this allowed?

You’ll need to open a support ticket, and they’ll help you with that.

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: JasperBooh.2607

JasperBooh.2607

Hi!
I would like to change my email address to a new one. Since i started using a new email adress and added my old Hotmail to it, i do not get email verification, thus I can not log in to game from a different email hotspot, except those that are already verificated.
(im not sure if i should write the adresses here, or you will contact me)

Please help, I will move to an other town next month, and I do not want to stop playing gw2

Posted by: SandraSolace.7682

SandraSolace.7682

You will have to submit a ticket with support. The forum can’t fix this for you.

Posted by: Semichiu.3902

Semichiu.3902

So, my e-mail got hacked recently, and my e-mail provider deleted my entire e-mail account with them. Normally I wouldn’t mind, because I didn’t use it for much; however, I did use it for Guild Wars 2, and now I need to change my e-mail address for GW2 so that I may authenticate the account if I play the game somewhere other than my house. I would use the support forum, but I’m not sure whether that account has been disabled, or if I have simply forgotten it. If I could get some help with this, I’d greatly appreciate it.

Posted by: gassy.8975

gassy.8975

Posted by: Docfontu.7601

Docfontu.7601

I’m trying to change my account name/email address. Do I need to submit a support ticket for that or can I perform that action myself on the website?

I tried submitting a support ticket, but when I fill in all of the information and click continue, it just sits there thinking and never moves on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can ask support to help you change the email associated with your account. If the support page isn’t working, you can always contact support by sending an email to: support@guildwars2.com

Good luck. =)

Posted by: Cara.8749

Cara.8749

I have created an account under a certain email address that will no longer be available in the near future. Is there a way to keep the account name as is but have all correspondence sent to my new email address?

Also, I have a 2 other accounts (for my kids…mostly). Is there a way to link them all to a single email address? I see that there is a Link to Account but I think that is for GW1 people to link to their GW2 accounts.

Thanks.

Posted by: SandraSolace.7682

SandraSolace.7682

All accounts need to have their own email address, so linking is not an option.

As for changing your linked email, you will have to go through support.
https://en.support.guildwars2.com/

Rajani Isa.6294

Cara – check your PMs.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I have created an account under a certain email address that will no longer be available in the near future. Is there a way to keep the account name as is but have all correspondence sent to my new email address?

Also, I have a 2 other accounts (for my kids…mostly). Is there a way to link them all to a single email address? I see that there is a Link to Account but I think that is for GW1 people to link to their GW2 accounts.

Thanks.

Each Guild Wars 2 account must have a unique email address. The only thing it could share, in the Guild Wars spectrum, is a single Guild Wars email address. It would not be possible for us to link three GW2 accounts to a single address.

If you wish to change your email address, and if you find you are not able to do so yourself, please contact Support by filing a ticket through the “Ask a Question” tab on that linked page. They will be able to assist you. For tips on what information to provide in a ticket — mostly intended for security reasons to establish that you own the account — please read this post and provide as many suggested details as possible to expedite the ticket.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: XarOneZeroNine.2374

XarOneZeroNine.2374

Also, I have a 2 other accounts (for my kids…mostly). Is there a way to link them all to a single email address?

Each Guild Wars 2 account must have a unique email address.

There is a pretty safe way to get around this requirement if you have a gmail account.

If your gmail address is mymail@gmail.com all you have to do is add a ‘+’ followed by a modifier.

For example mymail+parent@gmail.com is consiedered unique by Anet but will be forwarded by gmail. All of the mail sent to this address will be sent to mymail@gmail.com.

So you could use mymail+parent@gmail.com, mymail+child1@gmail.com and mymail+child2@gmail.com in order to use one email for three accounts. This is also a good way to add a bit of security to your account as well.

(edited by XarOneZeroNine.2374)

Posted by: jRobillard.8653

jRobillard.8653

Hi, I was wondering how in the world do I change my email as well as my “Name” on here? .. I pre ordered this game I don’t think I ever received a serial number code for this game to actually write a support ticket or whatever it’s called! Well if you can please help !!!

Posted by: StugLyfe.2134

StugLyfe.2134

you can’t without the original Email/Serial code

Astral Projections.7320

Whether or not you can change your account name depends on a couple of reasons, either it breaks TOS or it has personal information such as your real name. If the account name you chose is your real name then you will be able to change it.

As for the second, have you contacted support? If not, go to the top of this page and select support then select ‘Ask a Question’. Make a ticket and fill out all the information you can. If you don’t know it, leave it blank. Then work with them about what you need.

Rajani Isa.6294

Email IS the account name! Which is why you have to go through support.

But as for the Display name (aka Rajani Isa.6294 in my case, for example) – if it is your real name they will change it no problem.

If you pre-ordered the game, search for an email from ArenaNet <noreply@guildwars2.com> with the subject line “Thank you for pre-purchasing Guild Wars 2!”

You don’t need the serial code (that’s what they call it in the purchase email) to submit the ticket – it helps, but it’s not needed. Just submit one and go from there,

Posted by: Guldlock.8926

Guldlock.8926

Hello! I have tried to change my character name to another name, but the name that i want is unavablie because someone else is using this name. I have tried to contact this person and ask if he/she would be fine with changing the name, but he/she has not been online since I decided to change my name and that was about 5 months ago. I have checked every day if he/she was online. Im suspecting that he/she don’t play the game any more. Is it possible to get the name and if possible, what should I do?

A wise king never seeks out war, but he must always be ready for it.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Doubtful. What if the person has not been able to play for 5 months due to certain reasons? I don’t think they would like to come back and see their name gone.

The Burninator

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I am afraid the name will not be released, ever. Not even if the account has been or will be permanently banned. The only time names would ever be released would be for something like Guild Wars 3 (as they eventually did for Guild Wars 1 names for Guild Wars 2).

Your only option is to use another creative name not already in use. I’ll bet you can think of something really fantastic! =)

Posted by: Goreville.8021

Goreville.8021

Hello My name is Joel. I have a question about changing my players name. I am aware that you need a name change contract but the name I like “Goreville” appears to me taken. I have tried to contact the person who has this name and I was wondering if the account is dormant is there any chance i could acquire the name. Thank you for your time.

Astral Projections.7320

At this time, no. They have no mechanism to do this and have never even hinted they might. You will just have to pick another name.

You can add a second name to it. Like Goreville The Fierce (just as an example). Or a lore name like for a Charr, Goreville Ashclaw, for example.

Posted by: Ashlar.2519

Ashlar.2519

Character names are not server-specific, they are game-wide. What this means is that if there is a character named “Goreville” on any server within the game, you will not be able to use that name, even if they are on a different server than yours. As Astral suggested, try adding something else to the name.

You have tried contacting the player about the name, though if they have not yet seen the email or chose to ignore it, there is nothing you can do about that. If the other player did decide to let you have the name, they would need to change their characters name first. You would need to wait 24 hours and then it should be available – on a first-come-first-served basis. So, if someone else grabs it before you can get to it, it is gone for you.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Hello! I have tried to change my character name to another name, but the name that i want is unavablie because someone else is using this name. I have tried to contact this person and ask if he/she would be fine with changing the name, but he/she has not been online since I decided to change my name and that was about 5 months ago. I have checked every day if he/she was online. Im suspecting that he/she don’t play the game any more. Is it possible to get the name and if possible, what should I do?

Hello My name is Joel. I have a question about changing my players name. I am aware that you need a name change contract but the name I like “Goreville” appears to me taken. I have tried to contact the person who has this name and I was wondering if the account is dormant is there any chance i could acquire the name. Thank you for your time.

I like the ideas that other players have presented you in this thread. I suggest you choose an alternative name, a variant, for we cannot give away someone’s name, even if the account is somehow dormant. Nor can we assure that a name swap will work because even if two parties are willing, the name reservation system, and the fact that names go back into “the pool,” makes such arrangements a player-to-player agreement, and we will not be able to intercede or assist in any way.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Gaile, this may seem a silly question, but would asking for my account name to be modified from VOLKON.1290 to Volkon.1290 fall under the “we can’t do that” category? I’m not sure how I wound up with all caps, but I feel like I’m yelling at myself and everyone else. :P

Thanks!

#TeamJadeQuarry

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Gaile, this may seem a silly question, but would asking for my account name to be modified from VOLKON.1290 to Volkon.1290 fall under the “we can’t do that” category? I’m not sure how I wound up with all caps, but I feel like I’m yelling at myself and everyone else. :P

Thanks!

That is not a service that we can offer. There are many people with all-cap names, so please don’t worry about it.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet