Name banned?

Name banned?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Phaenon.8270

Phaenon.8270

Hi, everyone. Just got home and tried to log in, but got a message telling me that my account is banned for 66 hours due to name violation. I scratched my head trying to think how my charater’s name violates the code of conduct. Is the name Hayfa offensive in any way? It’s just something I googled for baby names and thought it sounds nice. If it’s offensive, I wouldn’t mind changing it. But I think at least I should receive a notification or an opportunity to change it instead of immediate ban. Thanks for the help.

Name banned?

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

If it’s your first violation, you shouldn’t be suspended at all, you’d just have to change the name to log in. Possibly it’s another character that is the issue?

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

Name banned?

Phaenon.8270

I have never received a warning before so I guess this is the first violation. As for the the other toons, they were some random Japanese sounds that wouldn’t even make any sense in English. I just wish I know which one before they drop the ban hammar. Like I said, I wouldn’t mind changing whatever they think that is not appropriate. But they really should give out a warning first.

Name banned?

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

You should be able to tell which character is the issue by trying to log in. One of them should say “you must rename this character in order to continue”. If you’re still having difficulty, you can contact Support.

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

Name banned?

Phaenon.8270

Actually, I can’t even log into the character screen. I guess the “offense” must be very serious. Anyway, thank you for trying to help. Very much appreciated. I will try to contact support, even though in my heart I feel this is extremely uncalled for.

Name banned?

Posted by: hoegarden.4287

hoegarden.4287

isn’t the first warning the 72 hour suspension ?
I thought it was, and after that time, you must change the name.

Name banned?

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

Open a ticket with customer support and appeal. This is your option if you want your name back.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Name banned?

Phaenon.8270

So I googled the name and Haifa Wehbe came up. Is this not allowed? Anyway, a ticket is already sent in. Thank you guys for replying to the post.

Name banned?

Posted by: Ellis.8562

Ellis.8562

Hi Phaenon, i’m really sorry to hear your name got banned

Sadly the name violation thing is bit of an issue at the moment in GW2 with a thread like this opening a pretty consistent basis each week. Sadly after a very lengthy process involving much discussion it will likely remain as a blocked name – It seems Gaile is doing her best to swoop in and put many of these wrongs to right though, so there is hope!

Yes, open a support ticket, try and list as much evidence to back you up as possible. Try checking out some of the other name change threads, and googling GW2 name violation, so you have an idea what you are up against.

Some things to help you out:

If your appeal is not accepted you must rename your character, be very careful as they shall be extra critical. In other posts the community manager has admitted they use Urban Dictionary as factor in their decision making process, so be sure to check there. (Yes I know it’s a disgusting site, rather funnily try searching “Urban Dictionary” in Urban Dictionary and “Phronesis” – It’s great to know the site’s creators have a sense of humour about that site, it seems life is not without irony)

Sadly they almost never reinstate names, I think many would agree their name violation reaction is very knee jerk. But remember they are trying to protect the community. Best of luck mate.

Name banned?

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

Apparently according to Gaile Gray, Urban Dictionary is a credible source of definitions. If that’s true, any name out there is fair game to attack by people who for lols make up definitions for the sake of entertainment. What happened to Dictionaries we could really count on? If you want to know what I mean about Urban Dictionary, look up “urban dictionary” on Urban Dictionary website. Pretty much!

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Name banned?

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Apparently according to Gaile Gray, Urban Dictionary is a credible source of definitions. If that’s true, any name out there is fair game to attack by people who for lols make up definitions for the sake of entertainment. What happened to Dictionaries we could really count on? If you want to know what I mean about Urban Dictionary, look up “urban dictionary” on Urban Dictionary website. Pretty much!

Please be sensible and engage in less alarmist hyperbole! No one is going to play our system by inserting a fake “definition” and then reporting someone for a name violation. We use Urban Dictionary at times and advisedly. 99.9% of the name violations don’t require any research at all and are clearly offensive, either overtly or through the use of “creative spelling” in a lame attempt to bypass the filters. So UD is no more definitive than any other resource, and is only one of many resources that may be reviewed in the rare cases when research is necessary at all.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Name banned?

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Hi, everyone. Just got home and tried to log in, but got a message telling me that my account is banned for 66 hours due to name violation. I scratched my head trying to think how my charater’s name violates the code of conduct. Is the name Hayfa offensive in any way? It’s just something I googled for baby names and thought it sounds nice. If it’s offensive, I wouldn’t mind changing it. But I think at least I should receive a notification or an opportunity to change it instead of immediate ban. Thanks for the help.

Phaenon — Looks like someone messed up. Possibly more than once.

First, the name is not offensive.
The agents appears to have realized that and to have uncensored the character. However, it looks like he/she did not lift the (undeserved) suspension.

I am so sorry about this. I have reinstated the account. Due to the excessive off-topics, the mods will be locking this one. But if you find you have an issue, you’re welcome to make a new thread and I’ll look at the account again.

The team asked me to request that you please submit a ticket so that an agent can help you with the name (to complete the uncensor process). Thank you!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)