New Gaming Laptop Advice Needed

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: RyEKT.8612

RyEKT.8612

Hey, I’m looking to buy a new laptop. I’m willing to spend up to $3000. I want a computer that can handle the most cpu intensive situations in Guild Wars 2 on max details without any lag, or any other new game like Shogun 2 Total war for example.
I was looking at an Alienware M18x but I’m not tech smart enough to know If it’s a good choice.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Posted by: Gibbel.5734

Gibbel.5734

http://www.bestgaminglaptop.net/articles-guides/top-10-gaming-laptops/

Imo the Razer R2 is the most awesome .. obviously it’s insanely overpriced.. but it’s freaking cool though ;p

(edited by Gibbel.5734)

Posted by: Swordbreaker.2581

Swordbreaker.2581

www.originpc.com/Laptops/Gaming/EON17-SLX/?TAB=FEATURES&ACTIVE=TRUE&SYSTEMID=18

Asrock X79 Extreme4 mobo / I7 3930k @ 4.7ghz / 16gb Kingston HyperX 1600mhz
/ 2x XFX R9 290x in Crossfire

Posted by: Swedemon.4670

Swedemon.4670

WvW zergfests, not sure the best laptop can do it… folks typically overclock the top new i5/i7’s on desktops to maintain smooth fps.

Posted by: Slark.1263

Slark.1263

Laptop:

For about $3000 you can get a I7 CPU + 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680M video card which will pull you about 32 FPS.

Desktops:

I5-3570K Desktop with a Nvidia GTX 570 HD will still leave it in the dust for less then 1/3 of the price for the whole system.

Swordbreaker.2581

It doesnt matter if you think he should buy a desktop. He clearly stated he wants a laptop so gtfo.

Swordbreaker.2581

Oh and the originpc laptop will be about 3080 dollars with a maxed out overclocked cpu and two gtx670s which will play this game at max settings. And it will cost 1000 dollars less than the m18x and be more powerful. I would definately go with the origin pc.

Posted by: Slark.1263

Slark.1263

It doesnt matter if you think he should buy a desktop. He clearly stated he wants a laptop so gtfo.

I think my post had too many big words for you to understand Swordbreaker.2581

My post did answer his original post on what type of laptop he can get for the $3000 he wants to spend. It also mentioned about desktops to give him a comparison. I never said he should get one over the other. The extra information about desktops can help him make a better informed decision about his purchase.

Here is a review of different laptops cpu + vid cards:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Guild-Wars-2-Benchmarked.81604.0.html

(edited by Slark.1263)

Swordbreaker.2581

“will still leave it in the dust for less then 1/3 of the price for the whole system.”
Right. You are completely innocent of being a kitten.

Posted by: Gibbel.5734

Gibbel.5734

I agree with Swordbreaker after checking out that site you can get a really sick Gaming laptop for about 2000.. With 3000 it’s gonna be epic.

Posted by: orlen.7810

orlen.7810

get a desktop…considering some of the best desktop computers are having issues with the game you’d need to get something that would cost considerably more than 3000

or just have realistic expectations of what a laptop can do.

oh there are laptops that would do it…..but the battery is essentially a ups to power it down. and they cost upwards of 5k

3000..sadly won’t get you much in a laptop, sure it will come with over sold sales pitch and you forget they are all mobile components cut down versions of their desktop counterparts, less shaders less rops less of everything.

spending that much money, really look closely at what you are getting at the very least, shop around and make kitten sure your getting something that has decent cooling.

Swordbreaker.2581

get a desktop…considering some of the best desktop computers are having issues with the game you’d need to get something that would cost considerably more than 3000

or just have realistic expectations of what a laptop can do.

oh there are laptops that would do it…..but the battery is essentially a ups to power it down. and they cost upwards of 5k

3000..sadly won’t get you much in a laptop, sure it will come with over sold sales pitch and you forget they are all mobile components cut down versions of their desktop counterparts, less shaders less rops less of everything.

spending that much money, really look closely at what you are getting at the very least, shop around and make kitten sure your getting something that has decent cooling.

The desktops that are having issues are not high end :/ Desktops dont automatically equal better than laptops. Some laptops are far more powerful than desktops.

Posted by: Cosmer.4126

Cosmer.4126

I’m playing on Asus G53SX. So far no lag even at WvW. Played other games like WoW, didn’t lag in their 25m instance. But I am only using medium settings on all my games. Which is good enough for me.

P.S FPS on GW2 for me is around 100+