New Nvidia Drivers out

New Nvidia Drivers out

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Zelta.6829

Zelta.6829

I think the issue here is that not everyone can afford a top end system, but at the same time people expect to be able run the game at medium low settings with decent fps. I do believe that is somewhat reasonable, provided they are not running pentium 4s.

Most players were looking at the system requirements provided the Anet, and since the game is DX9 based, I imagine many of them believed the game will run decently on a 2-3 year old system.

It is unfair for the people who have high end system (me included) to simply criticise those who are unfortunate to upgrade. We should also be helping them in finding ways to optimise the system, the game and so on.

New Nvidia Drivers out

Posted by: Jeric.4980

Jeric.4980

This driver does NOT address the periodic black screen/CTD driver error, for those wondering.

New Nvidia Drivers out

Posted by: Rolo.9248

Rolo.9248

This is my rig; Win7, 64-bit
i7 processor 3770
NVIDIA GeForce 660ts
12gb DDR3 mem
2tb hd

Tell me. WHY should I not be able to run games on full settings? WHY should I not be able to play THIS game on full settings?I even grabbed 2 external hd’s just now.

Generally, no game can be run at full settings since software capabilites outpace hardware—what do you think drives hardware capabilities (and sales)? Oblivion took, what, 6 years before you could max it at 60FPS?

I don’t know what two external HDDs are supposed to do for GW2 performance, heh.

You didn’t specify speeds in your hardware and you didn’t specify the points I mentioned above, so can’t help you beyond:

- Your stock CPU isn’t any better than my OC one unless hyperthreading helps, which I’m inclined to think it doesn’t but folks posting some numbers (or Anet chiming in..eh? eeeehhhHH?) would help to figure that out. I opted for the i5 over the i7 (at the time) to get better OC and put the $100 where I know it would boost performance rather than hope

- I’ve yet to use 8GB and I know GW2 doesn’t come close. You’d be hard-pressed to find faster RAM than mine and triple-channel doesn’t do anything dual already doesn’t

- The 660Ti is a skosh better in performance than the stock 580, so my 580 is about on par with your 660 but without the headaches that the 600s seem to have

- You don’t have an SSD; I honestly don’t think that matters (beyond initially loading the game)

To answer your question, “Why?”, is that your “rig” might be as good as this one I built a year ago and I can’t max everything and get a constant 60FPS.

Don’t even think about maxing settings until you plan to spend $1-2K on video cards alone. (been there, done that once and I still couldn’t max Oblivion)

i5-2500K 4.2GHz | 8GB Mushkin DDR3-2133 | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, GTX580-882/2033
Crucial m4 128GB SSD (64GB SRT cache) | WD 2TB 2002FAEX | Antec Twelve Hundred
When I was your age, I could outrun a centaur…until I took an arrow to the knee

New Nvidia Drivers out

Posted by: killimandros.5087

killimandros.5087

Can anyone enlighetn me then. What is the so called top end system? Is my system not good enough? (repeat, repeat; w7 64 bit, i7 3770, GeForce 660ts, 12 gb ram) because I crash constantly, and quite frankly i am annoyed about the hints that its not good enough. For christs sake, who were the targets of this game, if THAT isnt good enough?

btw, I got an ssd. Didnt help.

(edited by killimandros.5087)

New Nvidia Drivers out

Posted by: ZaxanRazor.6235

ZaxanRazor.6235

That is good enough but it’s not top end because of the GPU.

If you’re getting crashes that’s a system problem rather than the game, otherwise no one with that card would be able to play without crashes.

New Nvidia Drivers out

Posted by: Varna.5162

Varna.5162

Real shame. As far as GW2 is concerned, these are exactly the same as the beta drivers. I’m still getting texture flickering on certain 2D elements (like Guild page logo). I figured that would at least have been an easy fix.

Of course the bigger issues are…

Fairly bad performance on high end systems.
Bad SLI usage even with highly overclocked CPU.
Ultra Shadows causing ridiculous stuttering when panning the camera.

I said as much in a previous thread. Nvidia is not going to be able to fix this until Arena Net is also willing to spend some time on the issue.

New Nvidia Drivers out

killimandros.5087

That is good enough but it’s not top end because of the GPU.

If you’re getting crashes that’s a system problem rather than the game, otherwise no one with that card would be able to play without crashes.

Im confused here. Another user said these speccs were totally good enough to run the game. I have now taken the pc to 2 experts. They build computers professionally. We tested some of the most expensive cards they have. Crash. Is there some sort of codex (gamers) I need to buy, to play? Cant you just agree that I SHOULD be able to play this thing?

New Nvidia Drivers out

ZaxanRazor.6235

Oh it’s easily enough, it’s just not “top end” – but you need to be more specific with the crashing issues – I know plenty of people with the same CPU and GPU as you that play the game without issue – so it’s not the problem.

How long did they look at the machine for? What sort of research did they do? Something like this can take a fair few hours to track down and fix.

New Nvidia Drivers out

Rolo.9248

It is unfair for the people who have high end system (me included) to simply criticise those who are unfortunate to upgrade. We should also be helping them in finding ways to optimise the system, the game and so on.

I’m not seeing that; I’m only Anet being criticised for releasing supposedly un-optimised code.

Besides, optimising isn’t just for non-high-end systems because any high-end system can be made to perform like a slug.

New Nvidia Drivers out

Zelta.6829

I don’t think the constant crashing is driver related, it’s most likely to be Windows related since your hardware is professionally tested.

Run gamebooster to disable some useless services and make sure your overclock if you have one is stable, run stress tests for 10-12 hours and see how many threads fail or if at all.

@ Rolo

I am not directing this at you personally, there was another big thread a week ago and a lot of people just said “your system is trash, upgrade”, even though they were running on decent hardware.

(edited by Zelta.6829)

New Nvidia Drivers out

killimandros.5087

We spent 2 hours on testing different graphic cards. We tried changing ram. I have tried all the fixes, recomended by Anet and various users for 2 days now. Only thing left is buying a new cpu, or upgrading to windows 8. Whats even better, the guys at Nvidia blames Anet.

New Nvidia Drivers out

ZaxanRazor.6235

So all the testing they did was hardware related rather than trying to troubleshoot specific issues – no wonder the problem wasn’t solved.

Trying to fix crashes by randomly swapping hardware without first looking for software solutions is just the store trying to make quick money from you. You rule out everything before hardware changes, always.

New Nvidia Drivers out

Zelta.6829

Is it just GW2 crashing, try running other intensive games like crysis to narrow down the problem.

If you don’t crash during 2D programs, and only crash during highly demanding games, it might be your PSU.

New Nvidia Drivers out

killimandros.5087

All software possible hickups were already checked beforehand. There were no need to do these tests anymore on the pc as it was originally. Same tests were done with the new graphic cards. They suggested I leave the Nvidia 6 series, and go up or down a number. Maybe to sell me some stuff, but I doubt it as Ive known them and shopped from them for 12 years now. They built the pc I had up to now, which has been great.

New Nvidia Drivers out

Posted by: majestic.8129

majestic.8129

killimandros, what crash do you experience exactly? i.e. CTD, BSOD, Black screen&reboot?

New Nvidia Drivers out

killimandros.5087

At first game freezes. It doesnt matter where I am, or what I do (in game of course). It drops quick out to my desktop, and recovers again (its not the power, neither overheating). This will continue for some time, until it freees completely, and I have to tab out and close it from task manager.

New Nvidia Drivers out

majestic.8129

I assume you have tried the following?

- Several runs of memtest
- Eliminate software interference (clean image w/minimal drivers)
- PSU Multimeter/rail stability testing

Incidentally, what model is your psu?

New Nvidia Drivers out

killimandros.5087

-yes. No errors
-I reinstalled win7. Only thing on the computer is gw2. Clean image, last drivers.
-Check.

New Nvidia Drivers out

majestic.8129

So if you tested via multi what’s the model?

New Nvidia Drivers out

Rolo.9248

I don’t think the constant crashing is driver related, it’s most likely to be Windows related since your hardware is professionally tested.

I wouldn’t assume said professionals 1) did all tests, 2) are competent. “Trust but verify”. Unless diagnostics prove otherwise, all hardware is suspect.

Also, I didn’t take any of your comments as directed towards me; I was just speaking my observations.

We spent 2 hours on testing different graphic cards. We tried changing ram.

Sounds like the kind of “troubleshooting” that’s more likely to inject more problems than fix.

- Does memtest86+ pass overnight? (Why was RAM swapped? Are these professional guessers we’re dealing with here?)
- Does Prime95 pass overnight?
- Does Intel Burn Test pass on max after a few hours?
- Does VMT pass?
- Does Unigine Heaven run flawlessly?
- Sandra?
- DXdiag? (can you post it and a precise listing of all your hardware?)
- Was DirectX installed from Microsoft’s installer?

New Nvidia Drivers out

Posted by: VirtualBS.3165

VirtualBS.3165

This is my rig; Win7, 64-bit
i7 processor 3770
NVIDIA GeForce 660ts
12gb DDR3 mem
2tb hd

- Your stock CPU isn’t any better than my OC one unless hyperthreading helps, which I’m inclined to think it doesn’t but folks posting some numbers (or Anet chiming in..eh? eeeehhhHH?) would help to figure that out. I opted for the i5 over the i7 (at the time) to get better OC and put the $100 where I know it would boost performance rather than hope

Tested hyperthreading right now on my i7-2600K@4.5GHz, and yes, the game uses all 8 virtual cores, meaning the game engine does benefit from it.

Why wouldn’t it? Most game engines nowadays are heavily threaded.

New Nvidia Drivers out

Posted by: Rootz.6270

Rootz.6270

Eventually Bethesda released a patch that fixed the CPU code in the game and increased performance by a crap ton lol.

Which is easy to do when 1) Bethesda started with crap code and 2) they incorporated changes made by the player-base.

-+-

I’m only seeing Kepler users complaining; Fermi and prior users seem to be happy with GW2 performance. Perhaps there are issues with the 600-series cards and this game, especially since nVidia has stated it hasn’t looked at GW2 yet.

Tips for PC noobs:
- Don’t assume. Find facts. Go where they point and if you want help, present the facts. i.e.:
— Look at your CPU utilisation and clock speeds
— Look at your GPU utilisation and clock speeds (how embarrassing if Flash were dropping your GPU speed to 400MHz)
— Look at your pagefile usage if < 4GB RAM
— Look at your resource usage by other processes (I didn’t think a background torrent client would be a problem!)
— Post real FPS and its context; “lags” isn’t specific or measurable (or even the right term)

nvida stated that there is only so much they can do since gw2 is more cpu based.

There is not for nothing zillion of post made by now that state how crap the engine deals with cpu utilization.

It’s people like you that are to ignorant to see the truth behind these posts and Arenanet need to get there act together and look into it or at least answer all those that have problems.

Not everyone is a computer naab and those do actual understand there systems have the same freaking problems. Everything is and has been tried by now and for a game that used DX9, yeah DX9…. You should not have frame drops to 20-30 fps when you pan your camera or in wvw.

I have a gtx 690 and run a 2600k, i am sure it’s more than enough to run a DX9 game don’t you think…

Stop being smartass and try to save the world. There is something wrong within the gw2 engine and that needs a fix. (point)

New Nvidia Drivers out

Posted by: thighwalker.9731

thighwalker.9731

gtx480 ,newest driver
keeps AUTO ALT-TAB out its really frustrating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Nvidia Drivers out

Posted by: prjkthack.4529

prjkthack.4529

Been using the beta drivers for a while now, and with those beta drivers I’ve noticed great improvement in framerate and overall performance. Considering that these final drivers don’t appear to change much, performance is largely the same, but its still much better than with the previous stable drivers.

Running a GeForce 560 Ti. Also note that I’m running on Windows 8 of course, and I’ve been getting better performance ever since switching to Windows 8, so that may help as well.

New Nvidia Drivers out

Posted by: Winterchill.7156

Winterchill.7156

@killimandros
I’m using Palit Gtx 660Ti and have the issue of crashing in game then recovers from desktop with really low fps getting in the game again unless i alt-tab to windows-gw2.
Specs: i5-2500k @4.5Ghz, 8GM 1866 Ram. No problem in other games and yeah i also have the issue when panning the camera fps drops like crazy when using latest drivers – 306.02 but I tried the drivers that came with the GPU (version 304.x something beta i forgot xD) and the camera panning fps drop doesn’t happen often anymore …lol can anyone else try and confirm this?

IGN: Demons Edge
Class: Mesmer
Server: IoJ

(edited by Winterchill.7156)

New Nvidia Drivers out

Rolo.9248

There is not for nothing zillion of post made by now that state how crap the engine deals with cpu utilization.

And all of them are running 600-series cards and none of them have any actual facts illustrating CPU overloading is crippling their frame rates and they don’t take into account all the other folks who aren’t having issues.

New Nvidia Drivers out

Posted by: Winterchill.7156

Winterchill.7156

@Rolo
I agree with you. Most, if not all, the issues more specifically, Camera panning on Nvidia Geforce 600 series causes a drastic drop in FPS. And to back this, another machine running a radeon 7950 does not experience this specific issue.

Another Issue with a lot of Geforce 660Ti (As i’ve read some posts here in forums) is the frequent crashing/recovering in game-windows. – but this is only related to this specific GPU unless I haven’t read some others experiencing this

IGN: Demons Edge
Class: Mesmer
Server: IoJ

(edited by Winterchill.7156)

New Nvidia Drivers out

Varna.5162

Someone over at Guru3D had an interesting idea as to why 600 series cards are under performing their in comparison to their AMD equivalents.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4408566&postcount=95

[QUOTE=wintermutex:]With respect to Guild Wars 2, unfortunately I do not think we will see performance improvements any time soon from Nvidia driver releases.

The largest cause for performance loss in GW2 on Kepler hardware is related to an interaction between the Umbra 3 Middleware and the design of GPU Boost.

I filed a report on this with Nvidia, but it is doubtful to me that they will reconsider how GPU Boost is implemented. It’s exceedingly frustrating that Fermi hardware nets more performance in this specific scenario due to the ability to set a static clock, unaffected by turbo boost.

As I wrote in the other thread, when Umbra 3 pegs the CPU due to calculating occlusion culling (many player meshes onscreen in wvwvw) GPU Boost detects low utilization and drops the ROP domain clock on the Kepler.

This change results in an -additional- FPS drop at a time when a higher ROP domain clockspeed is needed to maintain consistent FPS.

The only way I can see getting around this is to allow end users to override GPU Boost, which Nvidia said will never happen. Frustrating![/QUOTE]

So in any area were frame-rate would drop because of a CPU limitations (such as heavy events, WvW, etc) instead of dropping from 60 to 40 it might drop double that because the GPU underclocks itself.

New Nvidia Drivers out

Posted by: rebalnz.3869

rebalnz.3869

I have a 670 and have zero issues with frame rate. I’m easily above 60FPS on max settings even in WvW – this is since upgrading the CPU to an i7 2600K, mind.

Last week I was running on an i5-2400 and had to turn reflections and shadows off to stay above 40FPS in WvW.

may i ask what you run your i72600k at? and what model you 670 is. it would help locate my problem more. im having the fps issues the same as everyone else but am running an identical setup to you. i think ive nailed it down to cpu/optimisation. although could be video card still since usage is low when it should be high. thing is my pc has never been running better own bf3 and other game with fps 60fps+ all the time. gw2 in cities/zergs fps drops like hell and gpu/cpu usage is not keeping up. im pretty sure my cpu is doing something like under-clocking or something therefore bottlenecking my video card. for instance when these drops happen if i change my graphics settings makes almost zero difference in fps(im talking 8fps diff from all low to maxed)

New Nvidia Drivers out

Posted by: rebalnz.3869

rebalnz.3869

update: yeah im almost certain this is a cpu issue. been monitoring my gpu usage ingame and realized when i change settings i see no fps improvement BUT my gpu usage does go up. i maxed the game out and it put my gpu to 85% usage could prob get it higher in WvW.

this leaves the cpu obviously bottlenecking the gpu. im trying to download new bios updates to see if this does anything. im also going to OC my cpu 100mhz to see how much extra fps i get. (cant OC my cpu to much heating is a big issue no custom cooler.)

recommend other high end users do this aswell, note: i am running a i72600k so no crap cpu here. if im correct looks like gw2 will need a cpu of 4ghz quad core to run at max in zergs and stuff. with a graphics card to match.

New Nvidia Drivers out

ZaxanRazor.6235

I have a 670 and have zero issues with frame rate. I’m easily above 60FPS on max settings even in WvW – this is since upgrading the CPU to an i7 2600K, mind.

Last week I was running on an i5-2400 and had to turn reflections and shadows off to stay above 40FPS in WvW.

may i ask what you run your i72600k at? and what model you 670 is. it would help locate my problem more. im having the fps issues the same as everyone else but am running an identical setup to you. i think ive nailed it down to cpu/optimisation. although could be video card still since usage is low when it should be high. thing is my pc has never been running better own bf3 and other game with fps 60fps+ all the time. gw2 in cities/zergs fps drops like hell and gpu/cpu usage is not keeping up. im pretty sure my cpu is doing something like under-clocking or something therefore bottlenecking my video card. for instance when these drops happen if i change my graphics settings makes almost zero difference in fps(im talking 8fps diff from all low to maxed)

It’s the EVGA 670 (not superclocked, ftw or 4GB model or anything like that) and I’m running my 2600K on stock settings at the moment. I don’t see the need in overclocking it yet.

New Nvidia Drivers out

Posted by: Notsure.7028

Notsure.7028

When I made that post I was running the 306.02 beta drivers. I jsut downloaded the 306.23 drivers today and will test the client tomorrow when I egt home from work.

Aside from the randomly disappearing geometry, which was probably due to having ambient occlusion enabled, I had no other problems. I will make sure I disable that when I test.

Aside from that, I get a consistent 55-110 FPS depending at almost max settings, no AA, supersampling on, shadows high.

New Nvidia Drivers out

Posted by: Amarinth.8534

Amarinth.8534

I agree with the Kepler user thing, to a certain degree. There are AMD users with the exact same issues. There are also users with 4 and 5 series, evem some with 2 series reporting about it. Might be different problem, but Im not sure.

I think there are definitely multiple causes at work here and the downclocking problem is only one of them, but it is the most likely cause where Kepler users are concerned.

If you have an EVGA GTX 680 then you can circumvent this issue by running EVGA Precision X, since its built-in “Framerate Target” option (set to Max FPS by default) will push the GPU to full clocks as long as the framerate target isn’t met, which with Max FPS is ofcourse never. You can also set it to something lower like 60 fps if you don’t want it to stay in uber-boost mode constantly.

I don’t know if this also works for players with other EVGA 600 cards or players with 600 cards from other brands, since I only saw this feature advertised on the Precision X page for the EVGA GTX 680 specifically and that’s the card I’ve tested it with.

Other users should, however, be able to run either Precision X or MSI Afterburner to at least monitor their GPU clocks and check if their GPU ever downclocks while playing GW2.

New Nvidia Drivers out

Posted by: amytheplanarshift.8520

amytheplanarshift.8520

Impossible. I have a GTX 680 and i7-2700k @ 4 GHz and I drop to 25-30 FPS in large battles in WvWvW. There is no way you are getting 60 FPS on max settings in large castle sieges.

New Nvidia Drivers out

ZaxanRazor.6235

Impossible. I have a GTX 680 and i7-2700k @ 4 GHz and I drop to 25-30 FPS in large battles in WvWvW. There is no way you are getting 60 FPS on max settings in large castle sieges.

For WvW I turn off reflections and shadows.

I haven’t been involved in any super large battles, but last night there were about 40 of us trying to take a castle and my frames were (according to fraps) mid 40s.

Take the overclock off your CPU and see if that stops it, others have said that this causes issues with the game.

I have an album of screens with the Fraps overlay taken in a pretty hectic event, if you want to see those?

http://imgur.com/a/Syb1y#0

New Nvidia Drivers out

Posted by: BlckDrgn.1960

BlckDrgn.1960

I’m not having any of the issues anyone in this thread is having, and i’m on a Pro-Star P170EM (kepler i7, NVidia 680M, latest drivers as of last night) except for the ambient occlusion/transparent terrain issue.

As for the CPU bottlenecking issue, I found this on a Reddit thread and definitely saw at least a 5-10fps boost from doing this (full disclosure: I used the manual regedit method – I generally don’t install progs from random people). Give it a try, it can’t hurt:

Hello. I can see that many players on the forum are having trouble with their FPS in this game – especially multicore CPU users.
What I did for myself was disable CORE PARKING.
There are two ways to do it. One is with an application. The other is through a registry edit.
Application:
http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility
Regedit method:
PLEASE PLEASE BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT THIS. I am not responsible if your computer blows up when you try the method below.
SOURCE: http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1861804
- Go to run (windows key + r)
- Type in regedit and run
- CTRL + F and find this key:- " 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 "
- Within this key, there is a value called: " ValueMax "
- This value represents the % number of cores the system will park – the default 100% ie: all Cores are potentially park-able
- Change the value from 64 to 0 so the " ValueMin " and " ValueMax " are both zero
- You will have to find the key a few times and repeat the process for each time it is found – the number of instances will depend on the number of power profiles in your system [ in my DAW it was only found twice ]
- Do a full shutdown and power-off and cold-re-start
This worked for me perfectly. I went from low 30s to high 50s. Hope this works as well for you as it did for me!
Good day!

Hope the above helps someone here, and it does make sense that this would have an effect on a CPU-bound game.

New Nvidia Drivers out

Rolo.9248

This change results in an -additional- FPS drop at a time when a higher ROP domain clockspeed is needed to maintain consistent FPS.

If that’s the case, NiBiTor can work around it when it supports 6xx cards.

I’m wondering if the camera-pan-FPS-drop is due to PCIe 3.0/texture (re)loading or some such.

im also going to OC my cpu 100mhz to see how much extra fps i get. (cant OC my cpu to much heating is a big issue no custom cooler.)

Stock cooler will keep you at 3.3/3.4 with a sustained load when you hit TJmax; spend the $25-$40 for a decent aftermarket one (I use Zalman but they’re >$40)

I’m running my 2600K on stock settings at the moment. I don’t see the need in overclocking it yet.

You must not have looked; GW2 does peg my 4.2GHz in some situations and I imagine you’ll run into it more than I at 3.3GHz.

Take the overclock off your CPU and see if that stops it, others have said that this causes issues with the game.

Then they haven’t OC properly; unlike the granny in the Intel commercial, OC is not just changing the clock and assuming it’s all good. (Note that removing all overclocks is a proper troubleshooting step.)

-+-

re: core parking. This only applies to idle cores, of which none are during GW2 game-play (look for yourself before applying some stranger’s regedits).

New Nvidia Drivers out

Posted by: Mwelling.3985

Mwelling.3985

I haven’t been involved in any super large battles, but last night there were about 40 of us trying to take a castle and my frames were (according to fraps) mid 40s.

I have an album of screens with the Fraps overlay taken in a pretty hectic event, if you want to see those?

Are you just looking for attention or something? At first, you said that you get 60+ fps even in largescale WvW. Then when someone challenged you on it, you said it runs in the mid-40s. And then you suggest looking at your album of screenshots taken in a “hectic” event. I look at the screens, and it shows barely any activity on the screen.

You haven’t added anything helpful here. I have, but pointing out your fallacy.

New Nvidia Drivers out

Posted by: Trafalgar.5247

Trafalgar.5247

I have a GTX 560, and I have issues with the 306.xx beta/WHQL drivers.
I’m sticking to the 304.79 Beta driver, which works perfectly

New Nvidia Drivers out

BlckDrgn.1960

re: core parking. This only applies to idle cores, of which none are during GW2 game-play (look for yourself before applying some stranger’s regedits).

I never noticed the game using all 8 cores on my i7 previous to applying this, and using the FPS meter in the graphic options, I saw around a 5-10fps increase including during spinning around which generally causes a VERY noticeable drop in framerate. Again, this hurts nothing unless you’re on a laptop and like to play without AC power or your proc is prone to overheating already while playing.

Edit: I’ve been in IT for over 10yrs (I know, I know, everyone on the internet is a computer expert, as well as a brain scientist and a rocket surgeon…) and the only thing parked cores do is save power which equals less heat. If you’re not worried about either of those two things, then this has no downside. I run this on a laptopkitten no noticeable heat gain and if I’m playing a game, it’s plugged into the wall. Again, I’m not recommending using some stranger’s basement app, but the manual regedits are straight forward and harmless

(edited by BlckDrgn.1960)

New Nvidia Drivers out

Posted by: Victus.9631

Victus.9631

I can verify that I had 4-5 cores parked when playing last night. I did the regedit tweak and saw zero performance increase.

New Nvidia Drivers out

BlckDrgn.1960

I can verify that I had 4-5 cores parked when playing last night. I did the regedit tweak and saw zero performance increase.

Did you do a full power down then cold boot? Technically a restart should have the same hive reload effect, but I wasn’t in a hurry and did the full shutdown.

Edit: Also, did you keep searching through the registry for all instances of that key? Personally, I found three different ones on mine, but it depends on how many power profiles your machine has, just like the instructions say.

New Nvidia Drivers out

ZaxanRazor.6235

Are you just looking for attention or something? At first, you said that you get 60+ fps even in largescale WvW. Then when someone challenged you on it, you said it runs in the mid-40s. And then you suggest looking at your album of screenshots taken in a “hectic” event. I look at the screens, and it shows barely any activity on the screen.

You haven’t added anything helpful here. I have, but pointing out your fallacy.

No, I’m actually helping people on here trying to troubleshoot. And calling BS on those that are really spreading BS, like yourself..

That particular WvW battle was the largest I’d been involved in thus far, hence why it went into the 45FPS range. I also had fraps running at the time which I don’t normally do.

Now tone down the attiude.

Back on topic: For those worried about core parking, you don’t need to hack your registry, you can simply set your power plan to high performance instead.

(edited by ZaxanRazor.6235)

New Nvidia Drivers out

BlckDrgn.1960

Back on topic: For those worried about core parking, you don’t need to hack your registry, you can simply set your power plan to high performance instead.

About this, I also thought this, and it is the general consensus; however, being on a laptop I was most definitely on the Performance plan and the odd numbered cores were still parked on my i7, FWIW…

New Nvidia Drivers out

ZaxanRazor.6235

About this, I also thought this, and it is the general consensus; however, being on a laptop I was most definitely on the Performance plan and the odd numbered cores were still parked on my i7, FWIW…

That’s odd. It might only work for desktop i7s then. Have you gone deeper into the power settings to check what the setting is for your CPU in high performance on your laptop?

New Nvidia Drivers out

BlckDrgn.1960

That’s odd. It might only work for desktop i7s then. Have you gone deeper into the power settings to check what the setting is for your CPU in high performance on your laptop?

No I haven’t, but one of the three keys already had a 0 value for Min, so I would assume that was the performance profile. However, I’m sure I was already on it, but my odd numbered cores were all parked.

New Nvidia Drivers out

Posted by: VirtualBS.3165

VirtualBS.3165

I’ve tested running Resource Monitor while gaming to check the core park issue (i7-2600K@4.5GHz). Before entering the game, all hyperthreaded cores are parked (4/8). Upon entering the game and running about in Lion’s Arch, all cores are being used constantly (8/8), with none oscillating between parked states. However if I minimize GW2, there are 2 cores that enter parked state immediately. Upon returning to the game they immediately unpark.

Could someone post their results too?

New Nvidia Drivers out

Posted by: Lazzy.4891

Lazzy.4891

I’m sorry but what Nvidia said about being CPU bound is complete BS.

I have two PCs

i5-2500k / GTX 460 / 8gb ram
15-2500k / GTX 660 ti / 8gb ram

Guess which one can get better performance out the game? The 660 ti right? Not, my GTX 460 with the same CPU / Ram / Power supply runs this game on max with shaders on medium pretty easy.

While my 660 ti idles at 70 FPS on max then u turn the camera and boom 20 FPS lag.

My GTX 460 Idles at 40 FPS with everything on max but Shaders it’s on medium and i don’t ever drop below 30 FPS while spinning my camera.

So don’t even try to pass this off as a CPU bottle neck because it’s a complete lie.

Explain to me how one of my CPUs can run this game On everything maxed but shaders on medium with a worse card but the better card with the same settings runs like crap?

http://imgur.com/bokvm – My GTX 460

(edited by Lazzy.4891)

New Nvidia Drivers out

Varna.5162

I’m sorry but what Nvidia said about being CPU bound is complete BS.

I have two PCs

i5-2500k / GTX 460 / 8gb ram
15-2500k / GTX 660 ti / 8gb ram

Guess which one can get better performance out the game? The 660 ti right? Not, my GTX 460 with the same CPU / Ram / Power supply runs this game on max with shaders on medium pretty easy.

While my 660 ti idles at 70 FPS on max then u turn the camera and boom 20 FPS lag.

My GTX 460 Idles at 40 FPS with everything on max but Shaders it’s on medium and i don’t ever drop below 30 FPS while spinning my camera.

So don’t even try to pass this off as a CPU bottle neck because it’s a complete lie.

Explain to me how one of my CPUs can run this game On everything maxed but shaders on medium with a worse card but the better card with the same settings runs like crap?

http://imgur.com/bokvm – My GTX 460

This is a very good point. Some of the Nvidia reps over at Guru3D are very good about giving suggestions and answering some questions. However they have dodged this particular issue.

I have a 580GTX and I do indeed get more consistent frame-rate with that installed instead of my 690GTX.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4408566&postcount=95

(copy and paste link)

I posted this earlier. Seems like a good explanations as to why 600 series performance worse when CPU limitations come into play.

(edited by Varna.5162)

New Nvidia Drivers out

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

I did a clean install of this build last week, and the only issue I ran into is transparent geometry every so often. Seemed pretty random, no idea what caused the problem.
I rolled back to the latest WHQL certified drivers and this reduced the problem greatly.

It won’;t let me quote for some reason. Anyway I had that transparent issue I noticed it in black citadel. I disabled the ambient feature and it went away this was witht he beta drivers