New Rig. Will I notice a difference in GW2?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: IPunchedyour family.7294

IPunchedyour family.7294

I’ve just invested in a new computer.
Specs are:
i5 3570k
Asrock z77 ex4
8gb 1333 ram
2gb Hd6970
Win 7×64

I’ve taken GPU and ram from my old computer which was a Phenom II 550. I think the processor was holding me back on a lot of games and music recording programs.

I’m just wondering if I should expect a boost in performance from GW2? Or should I not get my hopes up…

Also, as there seems to be many tech savvys here, what would you OC the i5 to? I’ve heard 4.0 is stable for most people. Will this give a boost in GW perfs or is OCing processors still not helping?

i53570k, HD6970, 8gb Ram – 60FPS

Posted by: Zelta.6829

Zelta.6829

You will see a HUGE difference, you will be able to play @60fps constant, apart from when you turn quickly in a new zone (which is a memory leak/bug). Lion’s Arch you will probably get around 50-55ish in crowded areas.

You can easily OC that CPU to 4.2, remember to increase the multiplier not the baseclock. Disable C1E and Speedstep. Leave the CPU phase control at optimised and leave it at t-probe for thermal consistency. LLC (load line calibration) should be ultra high and you can probably get away with 1.24ish as vcore. Leave the rest.

There seems to be problems with superhigh causing problems, but 4.2 is just about right for everyday gaming etc.

Posted by: IPunchedyour family.7294

IPunchedyour family.7294

You can easily OC that CPU to 4.2, remember to increase the multiplier not the baseclock. Disable C1E and Speedstep. Leave the CPU phase control at optimised and leave it at t-probe for thermal consistency. LLC (load line calibration) should be ultra high and you can probably get away with 1.24ish as vcore. Leave the rest.

Heavens above. You lost me after 4.2. I think I might just leave it alone for a bit, lest I start a fire.

Is there a guide to OCing for people who are really simple in the head?
Maybe this is too far OT though.

i53570k, HD6970, 8gb Ram – 60FPS

Posted by: Zelta.6829

Zelta.6829

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708438

The images in post 1 should be all you need.

I personally would leave vcore slightly higher than required, since you are new to OC, because if the system fails to boot due to low voltages, you might get worried and make things worse.

Or you can just use the built in auto-OC system, but that’s kind of lame. Make sure you have sufficient cooling, as pushing the voltages above 1.25ish spikes the temperatures quite a bit.

TBH, 4GHz should be plenty for most games, and you can do it on stock cooling.

Posted by: VirtualBS.3165

VirtualBS.3165

Chill on that LLC@max, its not really healthy unless absolutely necessary. Vdroop is a “feature”, not a “bug”.

Here’s a good starting point:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/complete-overclocking-guide-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-asrock-edition

Posted by: Rolo.9248

Rolo.9248

Also, as there seems to be many tech savvys here, what would you OC the i5 to? I’ve heard 4.0 is stable for most people. Will this give a boost in GW perfs or is OCing processors still not helping?

OC always helps. Ivy, however, generally doesn’t OC as well as Sandy but I would start at 4.77 (heh…nostalgic) and run diags from there. Don’t guess: prove your hardware’s stability before installing the “real” build with IBT, Heaven, Prime95, etc.

Personally, I keep to stock voltages as I like the power (heat) savings and the increase in voltage (heat) wasn’t worth the small gain and risk of instability popping up later. Finally, you don’t have to disable power-saving features (SpeedStep, C1E) to OC SB/Ivy.

i5-2500K 4.2GHz | 8GB Mushkin DDR3-2133 | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, GTX580-882/2033
Crucial m4 128GB SSD (64GB SRT cache) | WD 2TB 2002FAEX | Antec Twelve Hundred
When I was your age, I could outrun a centaur…until I took an arrow to the knee

(edited by Rolo.9248)

Posted by: seithan.4823

seithan.4823

a tad out of topic but my 2500k at 3.3Ghz boosted at 4Ghz is remarkably stable at 1.13V. Low power and low heat

Rig#1: i2500k@4Ghz/ 8GB Ram @ 1600/ Asus GTX580 CU
Rig#2: Core2duo@3Ghz/ 4GB DDR2/ 9800gtx+

Posted by: VirtualBS.3165

VirtualBS.3165

@IPunchedyour family.7294, you can even start by trying the auto-overclock features of your motherboard. That should give you a nice performance boost even if you don’t have the time to read through all o/c stuff.

I have my i7-2600K@4.5GHz with every power-saving feature on, LLC at just one notch above minimum and -0.045 Vcore offset (yes, minus). In the end, it all just depends on the silicon you get.

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

Going form AMD to a good intel .. Yes you will see an improvment

as for simple OC’ing, i would just up the multiplyer till your stock vcore causes the OC to fail. Asuming it isnt on ‘auto’ vcore.. otherwise it will keep giving u more and more vcore. (and more than you need to, which will cause heat issues)

Tweeking voltages manualy requirs some knowledge ..you need to know the limits. The voltages are the thing that can cause damage to your cpu so be carefull with them. last thing you want to do is put the decimal in the wrong place and pop your cpu :P

As someone has said, Ivybridge procesor wont overclock as well or as easily as a Sandybridge. So dont expect massive OC’s without some hassle. Do make sure your cooling is up to the task.

My advice is to install it as normal, install some monitoring programs for temperature and vcore. I like Aida 64 personaly, but its not free..you have to buy it or ‘aquire’ it by other means :P

Then go back to bios and start tinkering. You cpu will automaticaly turbo up to 3.8 so OC’ing to 4ghz should not be a problem on stock vcore.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

(edited by SolarNova.1052)