New pc. horrible ping. windows 10 to blame?!

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Ecion.2049

Ecion.2049

I just upgraded from an imac running bootcamp which ran gw2 pvp flawlessly on low-med settings. My new gaming rig is far superior and runs the game on ultra beautifully except for one “little” thing…my PING!! My internet speed tests are above average but when in gw2 (have not noticed in other games) my ping jumps from <100 to >1500. I have tried changing the port in the target line for gw2.exe shortcut with no improvement and i am also already running the 64bit client. I also have the most current network adapter drivers and have tried switching to the Ethernet cord to rule out the router (ping increases even more!). Due to running the game at lower ping on an inferior machine with no change to internet I am left to think it is windows 10 that is to blame. I have tried alot of the quick fixes for known windows 10 issues with internet speed and nothing has improved gw2 performance. Unless the community knows how to tame the evil inefficient beast that is windows 10 i may have to downgrade to 7 and reinstall a weeks worth of progress on my machine (entire steam library)Here are my specs:
ASUS rog g20, 16gb ram, 2tb hardrive, GTX970, i7 cpu that is running at mid temp and threshold. Pushing a solid 60 fps when I’m hitting ping spikes so i know its not the rig.

Posted by: Mave.9123

Mave.9123

did u check your packet loss ? i suggest you to use Game Advisor (ncsoft) and check your trace route . there is so many ppl that got ping issues right now

Ecion.2049

update: Download Speed: 63.76 Mbps (7.97 MB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 4.29 Mbps (0.54 MB/sec transfer rate)

Ecion.2049

Ive never hear of packet loss. is there a tutorial on how to do this check?

Ecion.2049

I also hopped back on my old rig..imac with bootcamped windows 7 and my ping is normal there…under 100. WTH windows 10!

Posted by: Mave.9123

Mave.9123

just find Game Advisor from ncsoft site.

run it and Select Guild Wars 2 then run test. at the end of the test u can check results like below .

you can see packet loss and where is your packet loss or ping issues

Attachments:

Ecion.2049

still no fix…how do i get someone from anet to look at this

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

still no fix…how do i get someone from anet to look at this

ANet can’t fix it, they don’t own the internet. Mostly its a problem of Level 3 or
Telia .. or whoever else.

Use Pingplotter to trace a GW2 server then you will see where the problem is.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

I find lag is awful until I DeNagle and consider lowing my MTU setting a bit. Just don’t lower MTU too low, as making it smaller can create other problems rather than fix them. 1500 is default. MTU = Maximum transmission unit. You can read up about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_transmission_unit
Nagle you can read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagle's_algorithm

Also Windows 10 has a problem of not saving your WiFi MTU setting between computer reboots. Ethernet is fine.

Another thing to check for, power saving features. Try maximum performance. I know right, but power saving can really ruin your connection if it gets the chance.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

(edited by Loli Ruri.8307)