New updates are taking a long time

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Densetsu.7946

Densetsu.7946

Please tell me in not the only one who, when downloading a new update, experiences their connection only being partly used? How I mean is… The downloads only take 1/3 or less of my total bandwidth.

Not entirely sure how to fix it in my end, if I even can. Generally speaking my connection is slow anyway. 1Mbps down. But everything else I do will use the max allotted speed I get. For non tech oriented people that’s a max of 160 KBps download.

So lately, after the wvw update went live the client started to show approximately 30-40 KBps downloading. And after roughly 5-15 no,utes it would drop to nothing and then make my router lose complete connection to everything. And this is the ONLY thing that does this.

Any thoughts?

Densetsu.7946

Edit: (probably posting in wrong section, but w/e) Bought to Jormag Dye Kits and as I clicked the mail icon the game crashed. Wondering if I’m the only one?

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

GW2’s download speed is lower because you’re comparing it to your raw speed. GW2 is also processing the files and managing Gw2.dat while downloading. It’s also downloading hundreds of small files, which has a much higher processing cost. If you have one 100 MB file for example, it’s going to take you a few seconds to make a copy. If you have 100k files totaling 100 MB however, it’s going to take a few minutes.

If I feed patches directly into GW2 for example, it should be able to download at over 100 MB/s, but at best it can only manage around 20 MB/s. When initially re-organizing Gw2.dat, it can drop as low as 100 KB/s, which is funny because it’s actually limiting the download speed, rather than downloading the file to a temporary location, then applying it. You can try my app if you want to try this, which allows you to manually download patches, then create your own asset server to feed them into GW2.

So lately, after the wvw update went live the client started to show approximately 30-40 KBps downloading. And after roughly 5-15 no,utes it would drop to nothing and then make my router lose complete connection to everything. And this is the ONLY thing that does this.

That would be your router not being able to handle the traffic and crashing because of it. There’s not much you can do to fix it, except for experimenting with its settings and updating its firmware.

Densetsu.7946

When I patch other games they process the files the same way, as most generally do, and it maintains the normal speed I get.

So essentially the high amount of traffic lately is what’s causing my router to die? And by all of this traffic and how Anet sets up their patches, I’ll almost always get much slower results?

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

When I patch other games they process the files the same way, as most generally do, and it maintains the normal speed I get.

They don’t. Simply put, GW2 is optimized for reading, but at the cost of writing. It would be a lot faster if they just dumped the files into a folder. GW2 saves space by storing everything in a single file and further compressing its contents.

So essentially the high amount of traffic lately is what’s causing my router to die?

If it’s an older or cheaper router, probably. Older routers have limited memory and can only handle around 100 active connections at a time. Cheaper routers can have the same problem or can simply be unstable.

If it’s newer, it’s more likely to be a problem with its firmware. It could be trying to process a malformed packet for example and crashing because it doesn’t know how to proceed. If you can reliably cause the router to crash, try disabling the router’s firewall (not something you want to do permanently) and UPnP.

And by all of this traffic and how Anet sets up their patches, I’ll almost always get much slower results?

Yes, GW2 is always going to be slower and the biggest slowdown is because it’s downloading hundreds of smaller files. You simply can’t download at higher speeds when the files themselves are less than a few KB. Actually requesting the files is the slowest part and you’ll notice the same problem if you tried to download thousands of files in your browser.