No video on cutscenes

No video on cutscenes

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: monevus.6781

monevus.6781

This applies mainly to cutscenes that have come out for content since the second season of the personal story.

Basically when I try to watch a cutscene, all I get is a black screen for video. Voices work fine, and I get the subtitles, but absolutely zero visuals.

What do I do to fix this?

No video on cutscenes

Posted by: Jigain.8231

Jigain.8231

I get the exact same thing. Panoramic views, dialogue scenes, everything that’s rendered in the game works just fine. Only pre-rendered cutscenes are completely black with no sound effects, only spoken dialogue and subtitles.

I put in a support request for this, will keep you updated if they manage to help me solve it.

For the record, repair and even a full reinstall does not solve the issue.

This post may contain a high concentration of sarcasm and irony.
If you are allergic to these ingredients, do not consume.

No video on cutscenes

Jigain.8231

First reply is as pasted as any customer support reply in history:

Hello <redacted>,

Thanks very much for letting us know about the issue that you noted in Guild Wars 2. The next time that you’re in the game and you find a bug, you can do us a favor by submitting an in-game bug report. This will send detailed information about your character and your position directly to our Quality Assurance Team and will help us kitten the issue as promptly as possible. To submit a bug report in the game, simply click on the “Game Menu” button in the upper left-hand corner of the game interface, then choose the “Support” option on the Game Menu. That option will allow you to review known issues, report a bug, or contact Customer Support.

You’re also welcome to report a game issue in the Bugs sub-forum of the Guild Wars 2 Forums (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs). You may include screenshots with your forum report, if you wish to do so. While we are unable to respond directly to each bug report that we receive on the forums or through the game interface, each report is reviewed and escalated, when appropriate.

Thank you again for taking the time to let us know about this issue.

Regards,

GM <redacted>
Guild Wars 2 Support Team
http://help.guildwars2.com/

So, in other words, just another “let’s paste the standard response without reading the ticket, and with luck they won’t reply so that I can just mark it as solved without any effort on my part” solution by customer support. Yeah, I’ve worked it myself once. That’s how it goes. No hard feelings towards the GM, it’s just standard procedure.

Will keep this thread updated with the second reply, lest they choose to ignore the ticket entirely, which sadly also is standard procedure from time to time.

No video on cutscenes

Jigain.8231

Second reply is as follows:

Hello <redacted>,

Thanks for contacting Guild Wars 2 Technical Support.

We’d like to gather some more information about the problems you’re experiencing by having you run a program called Game Advisor on your computer. This application provides us with helpful information about your system and Internet connection.

If you’re using a router, hub, or switch, please disconnect it and connect directly to your modem before running this utility. You may have to reboot your modem and/or computer to reestablish your Internet connection. If this isn’t possible due to your network setup, please run Game Advisor with the router connected as the information will still be useful.

To run Game Advisor, please perform the following steps:

Download Game Advisor here: http://us.ncsoft.com/gameadvisor
When prompted, save the file to your Windows “Desktop” so you can access it easily. Please save the file before running it (running it from the website can cause file issues).
Double-click on the Game Advisor file and then click on the icon for the game you are having trouble with.
Click “Test Computer and Connection” and wait a few minutes while the test completes.
Once the test completes, a “Test Result” window will come up showing the location of the test result file. Please attach this file to a reply to this e-mail.
Once we receive the test results, we’ll have a better idea of how to resolve your issue.

Regards,

GM <redacted>

Same as before, unfortunately. Another “let’s paste the standard response without reading the ticket, and with luck they won’t reply so that I can just mark it as solved without any effort on my part” solution – because if they actually had read it, they’d note the Game Advisor logs I sent them before I even got the first canned response.

I’m concerned about the customer support at ANet.

No video on cutscenes

Posted by: kingbread.6174

kingbread.6174

reporting the same, its seems to only affect the new pre-rendered cutscenes

No video on cutscenes

Jigain.8231

So to keep you appraised of what Customer Support are telling me, here’s #3:

Dear <redacted>,

I sincerely apologize that the previous agent did not see your attached results. These pesky Quaggans running around the office can be distracting at times

So I took a look at the Game Advisor, and first of all I’d like to say I’m a little jealous! Not only do you have a great setup but it looks like you have all your drivers up-to-date and do not have any software installed that is known to conflict with GW2 running normally. When I took a look at the network section I did see something I want to look into further. I hate to have to ask you to run another test, but this is specifically network related as opposed to being mostly hardware/software with only some connectivity information. I know you hate copy/pasted responses, but you’ll have to forgive me as I don’t have this next part memorized. Please follow the directions below and I will keep an eye out for your reply.

How to get WinMTR:
1. Download WinMTR here. A .zip file will download automatically a few seconds after the page loads.
2. Open the .zip file.
3. Select “Extract all files” and make sure “Show extracted files when complete” is selected.
4. Click “Extract.” A new window should open.
5. Double-click the folder “winmtr_bin_0.8” in the new window.
6. Double-click “WinMTR.exe” to run the program.

Once WinMTR is running:
1. Log in to Guild Wars 2
2. In the chat window type “/ip” without the quotes and press enter. This will return an IP address followed by a colon and a number (for example, “192.158.1.1:0”).
3. Copy the IP address but omit the colon and everything after.
4. Paste or type the IP address into the “Host” field in WinMTR.
5. Click Start.
6. Let WinMTR run while you play Guild Wars 2 for about 30 minutes.
7. After about 30 minutes have passed, click the “Export HTML” button in WinMTR and save the file to your desktop.
8. Attach the “.htm” file to a reply to this e-mail (note: make sure you’re attaching the actual file and not copying the file location from your browser).

Thanks for your cooperation and again, our apologies for the mix up on our end.

Regards,

GM <redacted>

A much better response this time around, and I have hope again. Sent them the log, so awaiting further instructions for now.

Also, kingbread, I’ve had varying degrees of success with pre-HoT pre-rendered cutscenes. Yesterday I ran Victory Or Death with friends who hadn’t done it yet, and I could see all the cutscenes there. However, I still get a black screen with dialogue and subtitles when using Marjory’s Journal in Lion’s Arch, which is a pre-HoT cutscene. I theorize that somehow the areas that are either new or updated with the HoT + Halloween update somehow interfere with my (and yours) cutscenes – but I was unable to confirm it since using Marjory’s Journal in another map than Lion’s Arch only results in a “You cannot perform that command yet” message and no cutscene. Passed my theory on to Customer Support, we’ll see what they make of it.

No video on cutscenes

Jigain.8231

Since my last message, I’ve been given a handful of suggestions from customer support. Unfortunately none of them have managed to solve it for me, but maybe it’ll help one of you.

#4:
[spoiler]Hello <redacted>,

A possible cause for this is that the game has not downloaded the cutscene. If this were to be the case I’d like to ask if your download did not finish but was already past the “Playable” mark. If so, would you kindly try waiting for the game to complete the download and try again afterwards?

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards,

GM <redacted>
http://help.guildwars2.com/[/spoiler]

#5:

Thanks for the update.

Can you please try the following and let us know if this fixes your issue also:

Completely close the game
Go to temp folder by going to start/run, type in temp and hit enter
Browse to the folder gw2cache-(guid). Example: “gw2cache-(50641E0B-3AD4-1601-081E-6450D43A0116)” 4.. Delete the whole gw2cache folder
Restart the game and see if this resolved your issue with the cut-scenes.
We look forward to your reply.

Regards,

GM <redacted>

#6:

Thanks for getting back to us.

ICan you please try the following for me?

Start the Guild Wars 2 launcher.
Uncheck “Remember Account Name.”
Uncheck “Remember Password.”
Close the launcher.
Navigate to the location "C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Guild Wars 2
Locate and delete the file local.dat from this folder.
Start the launcher again and attempt to log in to the game.
If that fails, could you try placing the game in different resolutions and screen modes? For instance if you’re in Windowed Fullscreen, try placing that option in Full Screen instead and try again if the cutscenes appear.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

GM <redacted>

No video on cutscenes

Posted by: kingbread.6174

kingbread.6174

a friend i talked to got his to work by running the game in admin mode.
have not tested yet myself though

No video on cutscenes

Jigain.8231

That worked for me, thanks!