Nvidia Drivers

Nvidia Drivers

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Ricky.4706

Ricky.4706

Apparently the recent GW2 Lag issues ‘might’ be a combination of problems.

NVidias last driver 320.18 seems to be causing troubles in all games…

I went back a few versions, and my fps got more stable but not better. Meaning, in 320.18 – It was 1-2fps …and it would lock up /freeze ( but not crash ) for like 15 seconds at a time.

After I rolled back, to version 314 – it was 2-5fps – would lock up / freeze for 5 seconds at a time – so It’s an improvement but 5fps is still a problem.

Some are suggesting the last stable nvidia release is 310 – I have not tested it yet, but I can say that at one time – particularly beta – GW2 was running well… but progressively got worse and worse.

GW2 and the Nvidia driver issue seem to have one thing in common – It works fine for some people, while others with strong gaming systems are having major issues.

Check the comments section of the Driver page at Geoforce – http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-320-18-whql-drivers-released

I guess to further analyze from here you would have to compare who is having fps issues with non Nvidia cards to compare how much of this bug is coming from either Nvidia or GW2.

edit – it should also be noted that the recent Nvidia drivers ( possibly newest intel MB drivers also ) have been causing system cpus to run hot and shut down. People have been posting about similar issues from game sites, as well as a 3D / animation software site I’m a part of. My system has also been shutting down a lot in recent weeks – but I thought this may have had to do with failing fans / dusty cpu / hot weather. – after going back in driver – my system has been acting more stable.

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

(edited by Ricky.4706)

Nvidia Drivers

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

I am using the 320.18 drivers and I have noticed that GW2 uses more GPU resources than before. I used to be able to run supersampling and the usage was normally about 88% ish but I am getting 99% now.
I am not sure if it is the optimizations that Anet has been “fiddling” around with lately or the drivers themselves.
GW2 is not overly graphic intensive and I am wondering if Anet if offloading more things to the GPU.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Nvidia Drivers

Posted by: DJRiful.3749

DJRiful.3749

Apparently the recent GW2 Lag issues ‘might’ be a combination of problems.

NVidias last driver 320.18 seems to be causing troubles in all games…

I went back a few versions, and my fps got more stable but not better. Meaning, in 320.18 – It was 1-2fps …and it would lock up /freeze ( but not crash ) for like 15 seconds at a time.

After I rolled back, to version 314 – it was 2-5fps – would lock up / freeze for 5 seconds at a time – so It’s an improvement but 5fps is still a problem.

Some are suggesting the last stable nvidia release is 310 – I have not tested it yet, but I can say that at one time – particularly beta – GW2 was running well… but progressively got worse and worse.

GW2 and the Nvidia driver issue seem to have one thing in common – It works fine for some people, while others with strong gaming systems are having major issues.

Check the comments section of the Driver page at Geoforce – http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-320-18-whql-drivers-released

I guess to further analyze from here you would have to compare who is having fps issues with non Nvidia cards to compare how much of this bug is coming from either Nvidia or GW2.

edit – it should also be noted that the recent Nvidia drivers ( possibly newest intel MB drivers also ) have been causing system cpus to run hot and shut down. People have been posting about similar issues from game sites, as well as a 3D / animation software site I’m a part of. My system has also been shutting down a lot in recent weeks – but I thought this may have had to do with failing fans / dusty cpu / hot weather. – after going back in driver – my system has been acting more stable.

Not really at all.

Stormïe ~ Tarnished Coast | My little monster <3 – http://valid.canardpc.com/6nbdeq

Nvidia Drivers

Ricky.4706

I’m starting to suspect this goes deeper than just a video card and more to do with CPU and motherboard drivers – reason I say this is – from various other (non gw2 ) gamer posts – 2 people can have the same card but different results – when my system started freezing up – it felt more like a hardware error than a software error – The kind when you plug a slow or bad drive in a usb and your whole system freezes while it tries to read the drive. Add to this a popular complaint is that the cpu was working harder / overheating – My system was shutting down like crazy before I rolled back.

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

(edited by Ricky.4706)

Nvidia Drivers

Ricky.4706

Just bumping this thread so everyone is aware there is ‘in fact’ an issue with Nvidia’s latest drivers.

There have been a few posters on the Nvidia sites saying that this driver has actually burned out some video cards and causing systems to overheat …

While this may not fix the game at the moment, I’m hoping that making this information known – you can take precautions that could possibly save your system from getting damaged from recent Nvidia drivers.

Nvidia Drivers

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Yeah, there’s always people making such claims. Like here:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379205
While this is possible (remember the driver that stopped the fans, this one might be overvolting the card for example), the number of evidences is really, really low in this case and he for example already burned two other cards as it seems - not the most reliable source.
I’d just stick with 314.22 if you play GW2 most of the time, 320.18 is only really required for the new GTX series and Metro: LL. 314.22 works totally fine.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Nvidia Drivers

Ricky.4706

I give it some credibility, because my system fan was acting erratic and i was crashing quite a bit, back on 314 it’s still not running it’s best with gw2 but obviously more stable. At one point I literally had to keep my portable fan facing the cpu to keep it from shutting down.

Nvidia Drivers

Iruwen.3164

Then you generally seem to have cooling issues. Higher temperatures aren’t necessarily bad, they may as well just mean CPU/GPU utilization has improved.

Nvidia Drivers

Ricky.4706

i’m right there on the edge, juicing my pc for everything it’s worth lol…but there are many people posting about overheating new high end systems …which means the cpu/gpu utilization is not going well. It’s not ok to fry everyones computer with consumer level product.

Nvidia Drivers

Iruwen.3164

It’s also getting warmer now in the northern hemisphere, winter’s over, summer’s coming. People with inferior cooling will slowly start noticing this. High utilization is normally good, unless something’s wasting cycles. Or unless your cooling is broken.

Nvidia Drivers

Ricky.4706

moore’s law is all fun and games until someone burns out a cpu.

why isn’t gw2 64 bit ?