Nvidia GTX 670 - Graphics: Reflections performance

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: specular.7142

specular.7142

• Intel i7 930 with Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce.
  • Stock clocks, all system drivers up to date with Nvidia beta 306.23.
  • Using Vsync – 60Hz – 1080p.
  • All settings on highest/ultra with supersampling.
  • Game is on Corsair SSD.

“Reflections: None”: this gives me near perfect 60 fps except for some cities. But that’s not really a concern. Without Vsync I am in the 80s-100s.

“Sky & Terrain”: a slight hit (3-5 fps) on average, but certain areas bring my computer into the low 30s.

“All”: bigger hit (10 fps) and more areas bring everything to a crawl. There is one particular spot in the instanced area of the Charr city that gave me 10 fps, where all the Charr are gathered at the center.

So I tried lots of combinations, like lowering shadows and all three sampling options, but I find that the Reflections is the only thing that’s holding me back. I actually thought that Shadows would be the bottleneck, but that’s not the case for me.

I am quite happily playing without Reflections at the moment because they are not that important to me, but I just wanted to post it in case it helps someone else.

Cheers.

Posted by: Victus.9631

Victus.9631

Interesting find. For me on my GTX480s the shadows are the FPS struggle. This may be an issue with Keplar. Would be neat to get a 660, 680 and 690 to test/confirm including 4xx and 5xx series.

Posted by: VirtualBS.3165

VirtualBS.3165

@ specular.7142:
I have a GTX 560Ti and I have similar results than you. “All” is like a 50% cap on the fps!

Posted by: sarlin.6314

sarlin.6314

I am running:

i5 3570k (oc 4.7ghz)
Asrock z77 Extreme 4 Motherboard
8gb of ddr3 1600 ram
128gb Corsair SSD/3 Hitachi 1tb 7200rpm hard drive
Rosewill 1000 watt Power Supply.
Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce

I also game at 1080p with vsync. Soon to be 2560×1440. We are all in the same boat with these 6xxx series Nvidia cards. I also keep reflections turned off or on terrain/sky. Everything else doesn’t make a difference going low to high settings. My fps fluctuates just like yours does. I also have some severe random lag in WvW. If it starts snowing then my frame-rate comes to a screeching halt. My buddies run amd systems ranging from the 6850/6950/7970. I noticed they still have the same random fps drops like us in certain areas, but the lag is almost nonexistent. They still lag a bit in WvW, but it’s mainly in big fights. My system tends to do whatever the heck it feels like in gw2. It still doesn’t bother the play experience for the most part. It’s more of a waiting game between driver updates for us and many others. I’d say they will have it figured out in a few months. All we can do is enjoy the game and relax. I just wanted to throw my input out there as well.

Posted by: sarlin.6314

sarlin.6314

I misused the term lag. I was meaning fps dropping/stuttering. My bad on that one. I know someone will swing around this post and curse me sideways for stating lag as fps when they are totally separate things. :P