OS X client refusing to load

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: hellastoops.6409

hellastoops.6409

Been a player for a few years now, exclusively on OS X. Not really many issues. My client crashed a few minutes ago during BW3, and now not even the loader is starting (icon appears in dock, but nothing happens). Have killed the process, rebooted, etc. Nada.

Any ideas?

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

“you can try to delete the contents of the gw2 data folder, it’s a pain to get to the right one: this step is a general fix for many tp and graphics issues, even without the previous steps however, it will lose all saved log in/password and in-game settings.
To access this:
1 Click on the “Finder” icon located in your dock or the desktop of your computer to make “Finder” the active program in the finder menu bar.
2 Hold down the “Option” key on your keyboard while clicking “Go” in the finder menu bar. A drop-down will appear.
3 While still holding down the “Option” key, click on “Library” in the “Go” drop-down.
4 Once in the Library folder click on Application Support > Guild Wars 2
5 Move the entire Guild Wars 2 folder to the trash and then empty the trash.
The next time you launch Guild Wars 2 it will recreate the recently deleted folder.”

That’s probably your best bet. Hopefully since that forces the launcher to recompile itself that will work.

Posted by: vikkival.2459

vikkival.2459

Thanks FlamingFoxx! Same thing happened to me just now.

Posted by: hellastoops.6409

hellastoops.6409

That worked, thank you!

Posted by: Willard.4805

Willard.4805

I tried that same thing, but is not working for me…

Today my game worked perfectly, but after I updated to El Capitan my game doesn’t even load…

Any help?

FlamingFoxx.1305

Today my game worked perfectly, but after I updated to El Capitan my game doesn’t even load…

Any help?

You could always go into the OSX security settings and check your computer isn’t blocking apps that aren’t from the mac app store?

When you click the GW2 icon what happens? Does it come up in your dock? Does it stay there/the indicator light? If you open activity monitor are there any GW2 processes running?

Posted by: Willard.4805

Willard.4805

Any help?

You could always go into the OSX security settings and check your computer isn’t blocking apps that aren’t from the mac app store?

When you click the GW2 icon what happens? Does it come up in your dock? Does it stay there/the indicator light? If you open activity monitor are there any GW2 processes running?

Well, the thing is that I clean installed El Capitan on my iMac, but with a new name of my Admin User Folder. I just copied the Application Support Folder from the backup that I made earlier and it works again.

Thanks anyway

Posted by: Brown Fang Thump.9482

Brown Fang Thump.9482

“you can try to delete the contents of the gw2 data folder…

That’s probably your best bet.

Huge thanks to ya FlamingFoxx. Your suggestion worked like a charm.

Also, thank you to the original post.

I just had a ridiculous client crash on my Mac and this seems to be the only thing that brought the client back. I had tried re-installing the game and following the worthless suggestion given at https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/28148006-Repairing-the-Game-Client (which resulted in a huge list of unrepairable errors in the terminal by the way).

I decided to check the forums as a fluke, expecting to get nowhere; but, am very pleasantly surprised.

I really think this should be made a sticky post for Mac client users. If not that, then at least the support page I gave the link to above should offer this as an alternative solution.

FlamingFoxx.1305

It is in a sticky post. Unfortunately they’ve merged all the sticky posts into another sticky post. So you actually have to open one of the red posts at the top of the tech support forum, and then find the mac specific links to the other posts inside there. To top it off there’s not really any indication that "FAQ and “Sticky Threads” is going to contain anything for mac users. Ideally people would look in there anyway, but clearly they’re not.

There should be a mac sticky thread independent of that FAQ thread. it needs to be clear so people see it.