Outlook suggests GW2 support e-mail is fraud

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Consider.4603

Consider.4603

Hi,

I’m just posting this in the hope that a mod will notice it and pass it on.

Earlier I was unable to log in so I contacted support. GM Adonis and GM AmberGreen were both very polite and helpful, and in less than half an hour I was back in Tyria.

However, one thing I noticed was that Outlook said that support@guildwars2.com had failed their fraud detection checks. I know that I was really dealing with ArenaNet as one of the GMs had to reset my password for me – and obviously anyone else posing as ArenaNet would have been unable to do so.

Thanks.

Attachments:

How do you start a fight with a Norn?

Break up his current fight.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

It means what it is saying. It didnt pass the fraud detection test. This means that outlook is telling you not to trust on them (outlook) but use your own wits to verifiy it really is gw2 support. In reality I think that is actually a very good advise. Make sure and verify you are dealing with the real support team.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Consider.4603

As I said in my original post, one of the GMs changed my password to enable me to log in. So it is most definitely a legitimate e-mail from ArenaNet’s Support team.

My point is that this is something they should look into and have corrected. Obviously their e-mails being marked as potentially fraudulent by such a major e-mail service provider is a problem. It doesn’t just look unprofessional – we’re talking about the e-mail address used to help people whose accounts have been compromised. Naturally they’ll be concerned and wondering if they entered their account information in a phishing site.

mercury ranique.2170

As I said in my original post, one of the GMs changed my password to enable me to log in. So it is most definitely a legitimate e-mail from ArenaNet’s Support team.

My point is that this is something they should look into and have corrected. Obviously their e-mails being marked as potentially fraudulent by such a major e-mail service provider is a problem. It doesn’t just look unprofessional – we’re talking about the e-mail address used to help people whose accounts have been compromised. Naturally they’ll be concerned and wondering if they entered their account information in a phishing site.

Yip, and my point is it is a good thing that people wonder that. You shouldn’t trust a program, but if you get an email from someone claiming to be an Anet-employee, you should verify yourself if it is legimate.

In other words it is doing what it supposed to be doing, telling you that there have been people claiming to be support who where not and that you have to be carefull. By getting this warning removed, you would also remove it for the people phissing for account data.

Consider.4603

By getting this warning removed

With respect, I believe you are confused.

I am not asking for Outlook to stop checking whether e-mails are potentially fraudulent – and if I was, I’d contact Microsoft; the company which owns Outlook.

This thread is to bring the false positive to ArenaNet’s attention so that they can contact Microsoft and take the appropriate steps to prevent this happening in future.

I agree that the service is a good one. That’s why I want it to be improved by having this false positive corrected. If you don’t know what a false positive is, google it.

mercury ranique.2170

No your confused, cause I do know what a false positve is and this sint a false positive. The positive is that it couldn’t verify that this isn’t fraudulous. That is 100% correct cause many people sadly have been sending mails with fraud intentions on behalf of Arenanet.

Like you said. You know you where dealing with Arenanet so you could verifiy it yourself. But that doesn’t mean the positive is false. Cause when you recieve an email from support@guildwars2.com you should be very carefull and check a few things
a: is there any reason for contacting me?
b: Are they asking for any info they shouldnt be asking for (they’ll never ask for your password).

In your case it passed both manuel tests and it was ok. But in the case this was fraudulent it would not have been. Outlook can’t check this and only warns you to be carefull.

I would kindly ask you to treat me with a little bit more respect. I understand your intentions, and I disagree with them. I have several degrees in IT and computer security.

Consider.4603

Your point appears to be that if people spoof it then Outlook will mark all such e-mails as potentially fraudulent because it doesn’t know any better. Is that correct?

The reason I ask is that I get several e-mails “from Blizzard” every day. Yet not a single legitimate Blizzard e-mail has ever had this warning. If what you say is true, I’m not sure how to account for the discrepancy. I’ve never whitelisted Blizzard, so it isn’t that.

Posted by: hoegarden.4287

hoegarden.4287

Do you have a solution on how anet can prevent your email client to flag their emails as ‘fraud’ ? Adding ‘this is a real email’ will not help….
Just check it, and if it’s save open/click on links.

Posted by: Mimir.4690

Mimir.4690

I have not had this happen with support (never emailed them with my outlook account), but Outlook, in my experience, is very reliable when it comes to these types of warnings and I usually trust their judgment. If Outlook warned me about GW2 support’s email, I’d be pretty concerned. I hope ANet can figure it out!

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

It’s Microsoft. The information in the emails is similar to what other emails that are trying to steal your data contain. The big difference is that they won’t ask for your password, but tell you it’s reset. I find the exact opposite with Outlook. I don’t trust them. It’s just a re-brand of Hotmail, which is extremely easy to hack.

Also, this isn’t an account issue, it’s a tech issue/bug. You should post it there.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.