Overheating issue

Overheating issue

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: gearlockt.7986

gearlockt.7986

Hi all and thanks for the assistance. Everything was running stable until suddenly I started seeing artifacts and a black flickering screen then freezing and crash. The only thing that happened beforehand was I installed itunes and the next time I turned on my comp windows wouldn’t load properly. Eventually windows did load and would start normally after that but when I try to play any game I get high temps now with crash. I can run GW2 on the lowest settings and still play for a little while but eventually it crashes and the display driver and/or the comp needs to be rebooted. All fans seems to be working properly. I took apart my main card and got rid of all the dust and reapplied the thermal paste to no avail. I tried different slots for my graphics card and even switched my graphics card with my old one and they both overheat. I reinstalled windows as well and loaded all the drivers and still no luck. Here is a screenshot of my temps during playing and the two at the bottom right are just running idle.

Processor: AMD FX 8320 Eight Core 3.50 ghz
Video card: Nvidia GeForce GTS 250
Ram: 16gb
windows 7 64bit

Attachments:

(edited by gearlockt.7986)

Overheating issue

Posted by: oRx.9584

oRx.9584

First thing you can do is open your computer up, remove any dust gathering inside (the dust adds alot to the overheating problem usually), make sure the air ventilation is good by putting all cables in such a way, air can still circulate normally, and making sure that all fans are running properly.

Next thing you can do, is speed up the fans if necessary. This can usually be done within the BIOS system, but Id wait with doing this, not to cause any more damage to the system.

Hope I helped abit at least, wish I could help more :/

Regards, oRx

“Wars come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.”
- Tupac Amaru Shakur (1971-1996)

Overheating issue

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

I’m not seeing any overheating in the picture you provided. The highest GPU temp I saw was 58 C, which is fine.

Artifacts usually indicate that a graphics card is failing. It could also be an issue with the power supply not being able to provide enough power to the GPU.

Overheating issue

Posted by: Triforcecwp.7659

Triforcecwp.7659

What is your PSU model and age?

Overheating issue

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

Hi all and thanks for the assistance. Everything was running stable until suddenly I started seeing artifacts and a black flickering screen then freezing and crash. The only thing that happened beforehand was I installed itunes and the next time I turned on my comp windows wouldn’t load properly. Eventually windows did load and would start normally after that but when I try to play any game I get high temps now with crash. I can run GW2 on the lowest settings and still play for a little while but eventually it crashes and the display driver and/or the comp needs to be rebooted. All fans seems to be working properly. I took apart my main card and got rid of all the dust and reapplied the thermal paste to no avail. I tried different slots for my graphics card and even switched my graphics card with my old one and they both overheat. I reinstalled windows as well and loaded all the drivers and still no luck. Here is a screenshot of my temps during playing and the two at the bottom left are just running idle.

Processor: AMD FX 8320 Eight Core 3.50 ghz
Video card: Nvidia GeForce GTS 250
Ram: 16gb
windows 7 64bit

Hate to say it, but you are not overheating. Your temps in the screenshots are with in normal specs.

Artifacts are usually signs of a bad/dying GPU. Occasionally its a sign that your PSU is dying too.

The first thing you can do is pop your GPU into another system and see if the artifacts follow, if they do then you know its the GPU. If they don’t then its probably your PSU not delivering enough wattage to your GPU.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Overheating issue

Posted by: dodgycookies.4562

dodgycookies.4562

its probably the gpu

gts 250 is very very old.

it is a great time to upgrade as last gen mid ranged cards are heavily discounted atm

[ICoa] Blackgate

Overheating issue

gearlockt.7986

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Like I said in my original post I have another gpu SAPPHIRE HD 7750 1GB GDDR5 that I have tried and still same issues. My psu is new XFX Pro 650W Core Edition. Everything was running flawlessly before this happened out of the blue. I did remove the drivers and nvidia programs when the gts 250 was still in it and when I restarted it auto updated with a different driver and it began running a little bit better, on lowest settings with not as much artifacts and heat. Right now I’m trying out the other card and still same issues again after trying different things. Now the MOM.exe, CCC.exe and loadMMdriver are coming up to be allowed access and that froze my computer every time it popped up. I just declined it and my comp hasn’t froze yet thankfully. I’m going to do some more searching around for solutions and will report back. Thanks all!!

Overheating issue

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Like I said in my original post I have another gpu SAPPHIRE HD 7750 1GB GDDR5 that I have tried and still same issues. My psu is new XFX Pro 650W Core Edition. Everything was running flawlessly before this happened out of the blue. I did remove the drivers and nvidia programs when the gts 250 was still in it and when I restarted it auto updated with a different driver and it began running a little bit better, on lowest settings with not as much artifacts and heat. Right now I’m trying out the other card and still same issues again after trying different things. Now the MOM.exe, CCC.exe and loadMMdriver are coming up to be allowed access and that froze my computer every time it popped up. I just declined it and my comp hasn’t froze yet thankfully. I’m going to do some more searching around for solutions and will report back. Thanks all!!

Since you are swapping from Nvidia to AMD you need to wipe your drivers out BEFORE installing new ones.

Google for DDU and run it from Safe mode, and uninstall both your Nvidia and AMD drivers. then Reboot into normal mode, then Install the appropriate drivers.

when you switch between AMD/Nvidia you need to do this each time.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Overheating issue

Posted by: Triforcecwp.7659

Triforcecwp.7659

Removing all your video drivers with, Driver sweeper or DDU (Follow instructions) is a good next step.

If you suspect your PSU to be the issue try using a tester on it.

if you have 2 cards that are doing the same thing, chances are its neither card and somthing else.

Overheating issue

Posted by: Kami Poi.4659

Kami Poi.4659

could be something wrong with the motherboard as well hard to say though.

Overheating issue

Posted by: Arjuna.1356

Arjuna.1356

could be ram too, do Memtest, generally any artifacts on screen = faulty memory
You are not ovearheating, well northbridge (I suspec its Temp2) is bit high but shouldnt make problems yet

Intel i5-3470 / Asrock Z75 / 2×4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8 /
Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB / Samsung SSD840 EVO + Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 /
Chieftec CFT-560-A12S

Overheating issue

gearlockt.7986

Thanks all. Yeah each time I put in the other video card I uninstall the drivers beforehand. I don’t use a driver wiping program but I guess I should. I’ll try a test for the ram and psu and see what comes up. I could have a virus but I did do a test and nothing came up.

Overheating issue

abomally.2694

You’re referring to RAM on the video card. Defective RAM on the motherboard causes freezing and sometimes data corruption, but won’t cause screen artifacts.

Overheating issue

gearlockt.7986

I used DDU and wiped remaining nvidia and amd stuff. I put in my amd card with the latest catalyst software and thankfully I was able to play for most of the night with only one crash and made it through a whole Tequatl fight. I’m still running the game on lowest settings and the highest temp on speedfan sits at 50 now and doesn’t climb like it used to. Either on lowest or highest graphic settings in game I’m still getting laggy gameplay and crackly audio but thankfully no bluescreen, artifacts or constant crashes like before. :/

Attachments:

Overheating issue

Arjuna.1356

You’re referring to RAM on the video card. Defective RAM on the motherboard causes freezing and sometimes data corruption, but won’t cause screen artifacts.

can be, saw faulty USB causing graphic artefacts. Computers works mysterious ways sometimes and with 16GB RAM if you cut half still 8GB left, plenty for GW2.
would try different slot for graphic card also

Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB / Samsung SSD840 EVO + Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 /
Chieftec CFT-560-A12S

Overheating issue

abomally.2694

can be, saw faulty USB causing graphic artefacts. Computers works mysterious ways sometimes and with 16GB RAM if you cut half still 8GB left, plenty for GW2.
would try different slot for graphic card also

That would only occur if the defective component was dragging down the power supply, or the power supply was failing.

Overheating issue

gearlockt.7986

So I did a memory diagnostic test and it turned out there are no errors. Thankfully for some reason the blackscreen flicker, bluescreen and artifacts are no longer a problem. Highest temp now sits at 50 and doesn’t climb. I play with lowest settings and where before I couldn’t even make it through a karka or teq fight now I can with no issues. I still get laggy gameplay and crackling audio, when I turn up to highest settings the game is choppy and lags but no problems like the black flickering screen, artifacts or bluescreen. Before the graphic and overheating problems I was playing the game on highest settings and it ran perfectly. Thank you all for the quick responses and advice. I’ll keep testing things/trying out possible solutions and will report back if things change.

Overheating issue

abomally.2694

Just so you know, memory diagnostics are not very accurate unless the RAM is just plain bad. This is because the diagnostics (such as Memtest) don’t really stress the memory like playing a game does (or video rendering).

Overheating issue

gearlockt.7986

Had a blackscreen again with garbled loud sounds during teq and another time during fractals. I removed a stick of ram and it’s strange I can now play with high settings, speedfan is indicating no overheating but there is still a low fps laggy problem. Sometimes speenfan when I first open it says 88 and suddenly it’s 46… not sure what that’s about. I don’t think my psu is a problem but will test it eventually.

Overheating issue

Posted by: Nitro.4732

Nitro.4732

To measure temperature whilst gaming you’ll need a program that logs the Max temperature reached whilst running. When you minimise guild wars 2 to check the current temperature it will be reported less as your CPU will not be processing Guild Wars 2 any more since its minimised.

CoolerMaster Masterbox 5 | H110i | AMD Ryzen R7 1800x 4.0GHz | 32GB DDR4
512GB Samsung 950pro | 2TB SATA-3 | AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB

Overheating issue

Arjuna.1356

If you point on temperature, fan speed, voltages in SpeedFan you will see: last, min, max, and mean. Although this kind of programs might be wrong, saw cases when it looked legit but it wasnt.
On side note: put stick of RAM you removed to your machine and see if problems will be back. If it wont good for you, maybe socket had bad connection, if it will well either stick become damaged somehow and dont want to work in pair or try different slot in case slot become damaged

Chieftec CFT-560-A12S

Overheating issue

gearlockt.7986

So i removed all the extra programs that I had on my comp easy tune, easy saver and some other ATI programs and no crackly audio and no flickering screen, artifacts or bluescreen. I put the extra stick of ram back in and it’s fine. The only thing is I have lower fps in boss battles and high populated areas. I don’t get it, I had my nvidia in here before with a clean install of windows, I used a driver wiping program and I was having all those previous issues. Might be some conflicting programs with my set up. I have no idea what is going on… all I can say is I’m in the silver wastes with high settings and it’s running better than any other time since this started happening, I played through the new living story with Caithe’s memories and it ran alright on highest setting but yeah there is a loss of fps for some reason. Speedfan says it’s over heating idk…

Attachments: