Overwolf and the 64-bit client

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: quacthulhu.2546

quacthulhu.2546

Alright, since Overwolf was not working properly with the 64-bit client (not overlaying), I looked into and determined that it was because the 64-bit client game (different exe name, so it defines it as a separate game) was not on Overwolf’s supported game list. This list is located in you AppData folder, and is in xml format. To try to work around this issue (because the 64b client is still in beta, so it is reasonable to assume that Overwolf won’t add it to their list yet), I roughly edited the GamesList xml file. This likely isn’t a simple solution for everyone, and it’s not perfect (more on that later), but it at least overlays the apps. Always make a back-up copy of your files before you start tinkering with them.

1. First, find your AppData. Locate localappdata/overwolf by plugging it into your Start run/search bar (I don’t know what the Mac equivalent of this is)

2. Locate the GamesList.(some numbers here).xml file. Copy it, paste the copy somewhere you won’t lose it or accidentally edit it. Overwolf should automatically redownload the file if you delete it, it’s about 2.5 MB large, not too terrible if you screw up.
3. After you have made your safe copy, open the original file to edit. Open it in Notepad or some other simple text program.
4. Search for the term “gw2.exe”, or whatever variant you have the 32-bit client named as on your computer. If you don’t know how to look that up, you probably shouldn’t be editing xml. (Sorry, but truth.)
5. When you find that term in the xml file, you will see an entire section dedicated to it. It should look something (or exactly) like this:[pre] (EDIT: the code tag seems to have limits here)

<GameInfo> <ID>78561</ID> <GameTitle>Guild Wars 2</GameTitle> <LuancherNames> <string>Gw2.exe</string> </LuancherNames> <GameRenderers>D3D9</GameRenderers> <InjectionDecision>Supported</InjectionDecision> <GameGenres>Role-Playing_Real-Time-Battle-RPG</GameGenres> <FixResolutionChange>true</FixResolutionChange> <FixSWL>true</FixSWL> <UseLongHook>true</UseLongHook> <DisableResizeRelease>true</DisableResizeRelease> <Client_GameControlMode>MixedAlwaysAvailable</Client_GameControlMode> <UseMCH>6;10</UseMCH> </GameInfo>

[/pre]
6. Copy all of that ^
7. On the next line after that section, create a space and paste the ^ that you just copied. It should have the same spacing as the rest of the file.
8. Change the ID number by +1. My example: 78562
9. Change the LuancherNames string to the 64-bit client’s exe filename. My example: GW2-64.exe
10. Leave everything else the same. Save the file, and close it.
11. Run your attempt. Don’t leave something open that you can lose by system crashing (just in case). Start Overwolf first, then run the 64-bit client, and open the apps you normally would run on the 32-bit client. Check them all, this isn’t a foolproof method for “fixing” it. I’m no programmer.

Here is how my finished product appeared in the GamesList file (including preceding and subsequent partial sections)

<InstallHint>steamapps\race 07 stcc.gcf</InstallHint>
  <Input>DInput8</Input>
</GameInfo>
<GameInfo>
  <ID>78561</ID>
  <GameTitle>Guild Wars 2</GameTitle>
  <LuancherNames>
      <string>Gw2.exe</string>
  </LuancherNames>
  <GameRenderers>D3D9</GameRenderers>
  <InjectionDecision>Supported</InjectionDecision>
  <GameGenres>Role-Playing_Real-Time-Battle-RPG</GameGenres>
  <FixResolutionChange>true</FixResolutionChange>
  <FixSWL>true</FixSWL>
  <UseLongHook>true</UseLongHook>
  <DisableResizeRelease>true</DisableResizeRelease>
  <Client_GameControlMode>MixedAlwaysAvailable</Client_GameControlMode>
  <UseMCH>6;10</UseMCH>
</GameInfo>
<GameInfo>
  <ID>78562</ID>
  <GameTitle>Guild Wars 2</GameTitle>
  <LuancherNames>
      <string>Gw2-64.exe</string>
  </LuancherNames>
  <GameRenderers>D3D9</GameRenderers>
  <InjectionDecision>Supported</InjectionDecision>
  <GameGenres>Role-Playing_Real-Time-Battle-RPG</GameGenres>
  <FixResolutionChange>true</FixResolutionChange>
  <FixSWL>true</FixSWL>
  <UseLongHook>true</UseLongHook>
  <DisableResizeRelease>true</DisableResizeRelease>
  <Client_GameControlMode>MixedAlwaysAvailable</Client_GameControlMode>
  <UseMCH>6;10</UseMCH>
</GameInfo>
<GameInfo>
  <ID>78581</ID>
  <GameTitle>Runespell: Overture</GameTitle>
Character Slot avoided Riot.
- – - — -- — – - -

(edited by quacthulhu.2546)

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

For those who do not know what Overwolf is, please check the Guild Wars 2 Wiki page here: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Overwolf

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

You could just rename Gw2-64.exe to Gw2.exe. It doesn’t actually matter what you name it.

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

You could just rename Gw2-64.exe to Gw2.exe. It doesn’t actually matter what you name it.

That would be too simple.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Posted by: quacthulhu.2546

quacthulhu.2546

But I don’t want to replace it.

Character Slot avoided Riot.
- – - — -- — – - -

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

But I don’t want to replace it.

Rename the old one to Gw2-32.exe. Unless you intentionally want to run it, you’ll likely never use it again.