Packet filtering disallows Guild Wars 2.

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Q:

…Unintentionally.

Due to the packet filtering system at my college, torrents on the campus are down to pretty much zero. Unfortunately for me, Guild Wars 2 apparently has a P2P connection system for its game servers and no alternatives. The packet filter doesn’t discriminate. It drops GW2 despite having all the ports forwarded. The only alternative is just to drop the filter and then there might be serious legal concerns as every freshman downloads(and uploads) tetrabytes of torrent content. I have no other way to connect, so I’m basically being told “sorry, you can’t play”.

My internet connection is fine. I can play almost every game(WoW, Wildstar, other MMOs and whatnot) at top speeds but those aren’t my concern. I can’t get past the loading screen at the moment thanks to the packet filtering.

So here I am.

I need help with this. Is there any way I can get past a campus packet filter?

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Pretty sure GW2 has no P2P sharing components in the client. You really need to open a ticket with Support to get 100% accurate info on this subject, however.

Unless you CAN actually turn off the filter and see the client work, assuming that the P2P filtering is what is blocking GW2 access may be invalid. DO you actually have any control over the campus internet settings? Sorry if I misunderstood, but you made it sound as if YOU could disable to filter or open ports at will.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

GW2 doesn’t use P2P. WoW does though when patching, though it does have a fallback. If they’re monitoring network traffic, that works like a virus scanner, so false positives are possible. A long time ago, I played an MMO where simply entering an instance would flag my connection and I would be throttled.

How do you know every port is forwarded? Do you have your own router or did you actually get them to open ports for you? If you can login at least, that means the port wasn’t blocked, which is usually the case.

Try running the game on port 80 and 443. To do that, edit a shortcut. Example:

Gw2.exe -clientport 80

How is dropping the filter an option? Are you IT? If not, they’re not going to drop it just for you.

Lastly, filters are useless since… just use a VPN to encrypt the connection.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Lastly, filters are useless since… just use a VPN to encrypt the connection.

I would image most campuses disallow non-university related VPNs…..I know I would (for the reason you suggest).

You can easily monitor the bandwidth an encrypted VPN is using and idenifying someone using it for Torrent is not overly difficult. Doing it automatically is a different problem but certainly possible.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances