Password must be 8 characters long error

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: applepie.4375

applepie.4375

Just tried logging in after a month and got the whole reset password thing like I expected. What I didn’t expect was sitting here for 8 hours trying to change my password because I get one attempt every 2 hours. It says I must have at least 8 characters and, unless my math is wrong, 13 is bigger than 8. I tried with caps, without, with numbers, without…nothing. I sent in a ticket but still no response so hopefully this is faster. I just want to change my password…I’m not banned, nothing horrible has happened to my account, I wasnt hacked…I just want to change my password!

Posted by: applepie.4375

applepie.4375

nevermind, FINALLY got it changed by trying a 20+ character password.

Posted by: Velox.3985

Velox.3985

TL:DR – Add capitals or lower cases to make your password different. They don’t allow the same password to be used on GW2 if it is being used by another account. My understanding.

‘’When you change your password, the system won’t allow you to pick your previous password, or any password that we’ve seen tested against any existing or non-existent account. Thus, after changing your password, you’ll be confident that your new password is unique within Guild Wars 2. However, your password only stays unique if you then don’t use it for other games and web sites, so please, if you value the security of your account, use your password exclusively for Guild Wars 2.’’

Keep this in mind, it might be that someone in GW2 has already used your desired password and thus you need to find a new special password that no one amongst the users of gw2 has used.

Personally this change is really silly. As someone who changes their password frequently I can no longer use half my passwords just due to the fact that I USED THEM. The other half are already used. This is quite frustrating as I have to find a special password I wouldn’t normally use

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Just to provide a bit more info:

Check out several tips on security.

And for a detailed outline on the subject of security as it relates to Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2, please see Mike O’Brien’s article on account security.

However, we’ll look into this and of course you’re welcome to contact Support by filing a ticket through the “Ask a Question” tab on that linked page.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: Vashoom.8512

Vashoom.8512

I also have this problem when trying to change my password to another password that is at least 8 characters.

But it allows me to make a much longer password.

So my guess is they changed their password policy bud didn’t bother to update it on the account creation/password change forms.

It is NOT 8 characters minimum, it is much more, as I tried many different passwords none of which I have used elsewhere, but the longer password was accepted.

Progress blocking bugs are top priority, but not all bugs are so easy to fix as others, be cool :)

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

I also have this problem when trying to change my password to another password that is at least 8 characters.

But it allows me to make a much longer password.

So my guess is they changed their password policy bud didn’t bother to update it on the account creation/password change forms.

It is NOT 8 characters minimum, it is much more, as I tried many different passwords none of which I have used elsewhere, but the longer password was accepted.

Please read the linked article by Gaile Gray: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/mike-obrien-on-account-security/

Arenanet knows from reports of hacked accounts wich passwords are often tried by hackers. Those passwords are blacklisted to use. The lenght doesn’t matter.

Many people make the mistake of choosing a password fitting for your interest. As having interest in this game, you also might have an interest in e.g. anime. Using a famous anime name for example sounds like wise. However, half of the gw2 players like anime. So you might think it is very unique, in reality it isn’t.

If I might give you an advise on your password. Everyone has a secret. for example a secret crush during high school. Something only you know. My password is my biggest secret. The one thing bout me I would never tell anyone ever! It is nothing bad like ‘I murdered Jake’, its just something I am ashamed off.
for example (not mine obviously): ‘I farted during my first kiss’

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: Needs More Goat Yell.1397

Needs More Goat Yell.1397

I triekittenitten***, not accepted, who would have that password already O.o?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

From what I heard, nobody can have the same password. Any previously used passwords are also put on the ban list. Any password that has been leaked from other sites are put on the ban list. Which leaves very, very few if any easy to remember passwords left. And it’s only going to get worse as time goes on.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Which leaves very, very few if any easy to remember passwords left. And it’s only going to get worse as time goes on.

You’ve got to be kidding……

The best password is 3 or 4 short yet unrelated words strung together (capitols / numbers / punctuation is not needed, but can be used) that is at LEAST 12 characters long. Passwords of 8 characters can be guessed by a standard desktop in less than a day (this includes punctuation, numbers and upper / lower case). A 12 character all lower case password takes over 3 years to guess.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Behellagh.1468

It took me 35 minutes of doing exactly that, using combos of words and failing to get a valid password that it would accept so I went the 20 character random password generator route. I even tried combos of words from several different languages (one English, one Dutch, one Welch) and they were still rejected as viable passwords.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

It is not really that hard to create a very secure password.

Use a simple formula, and substitute the information used. Below is a rough example.

Town you where born or where your grandmother lives = London
Symbol = @
Last 4 digits of phone#, address, birthday, etc = 0987

New password = London@0987

This password would take the average PC roughly 4000 years to crack.
You can be very creative using this format.

Your girlfriends name = Barbara
Symbol = >
numbers = 100%
(Your girlfriend is better then 100% of other girls.)

Password = Barbara>100%
4 million years to crack.

You can check the strength of a password at this site. https://howsecureismypassword.net/

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Remember, there is a cooldown when trying new passwords. It is about 2 hours, I believe. You may be hitting the cooldown, rather than not creating viable passwords.

Behellagh.1468

No this was a month or so ago when I wasn’t able to log into the forum but I could log into the game. It was a forum problem but I panicked and changed my password. Just once but nothing I tried took until I went random. Now I have a post-it note.

RIP City of Heroes