Password pain - Plz it hurts

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Alice.1864

Alice.1864

The whole password thing is very stressful for me. Suffer from anxiety stress and signed off work and on medication, and GW2 helps me to forgot things. But if I forget my password Im in a world so painful I just want put a knife through my palm.

I normally set remember password, then use GW2 for a bit, then accidentally type in the password box, and then cant get in because I cant remember my account password. I am not good at remembering but because GW2 it forces me to pick one I have not used i cant remember it.

So now Im stuck.

So then I switch to the web interface to log me in. Well it remembered my password in the browser, but I have no way to know what it is, and to change it I have to enter in the password I dont know. So then I work out that I have to log out in the browser (now I’m really stuck because I wont be able to get into my account again), and ask for a password reset.

Okay so then later I get the email. So I follow that, and it asks me for some serial number. Which ya, I have like two off them because out of frustration the first time this happened I gave up and spent the money again (oh I cant work so this is a big friggen deal).

So now I have to now find this huge serial number somewhere in my emails, none of them clearly stating what it is. So 1 hour later I find what might be it and ask for the password reset. And finally, I’m back in. And OMG that ip address stuff, thank god you turned that off. I almost gave up GW2 when I started seeing those warnings. My IP address is reset every time my router is turned off.

While im hear please review your website buttons, they are so confusing.
Lets take creating this Topic, or edit this topic. So Im here – I clicked creat this topic and I typed the topic in. So now the button I have is “create this topic”. Where is the “Post this topic”, or “Save this topic” button, Why do I want to create another topic when I have not finished this one. The same applies to “Edit a topic” The choice you have after “edit” is selected is “edit” why to I want to edit somethign I am already editing. So confusing and stresses the heck out of me.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

In the future, should you forget your password, yet have it saved in your browser, just check your browser’s tools. You can access all saved passwords there. Good luck.

Posted by: cephiroth.6182

cephiroth.6182

I can’t see how this is a game bug. If you have trouble remembering things you should maybe note them down in a safe place.

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

Two things to help out :

On my smartphone, I use a password manager app – it contains not just passwords, but important serial keys for software (The one I use is called 1Password, but ther eare several others).

Also, as mentioned, in your Browser’s settings panel somewhere is a way to viewed stored passwords – in Chrome, specifically, it’s Menu→Settings→Show Advanced Settings→Manage passwords. Can’t recall the specific steps for other browsers a the moment, but usually similar (Might need to check under Privacy)

Posted by: Ceallach.8740

Ceallach.8740

I agree – try a password manager. That way you can have all your passwords in one place – you don’t even have to give THAT a password itself (or a difficult one) if you aren’t worried about it.

I use KeePass, which works on both my desktop, tablet, smartphone, and anything else I could want it on – I keep it stored on a cloud server so that it is automatically updated no matter where I changed it from.

Or write it down on paper, even – if this is that important, write it on a post-it note and stick it to your monitor. I am not trying to be “smart” or sarcastic or anything – it’s something that people do when a password is not super secret and it’s a decent enough idea if you don’t live with people who are jerks and would mess up your stuff just for fun.

I’m sorry that the nomenclature on the forum is frustrating to you, but once you know how it works it is the same every time.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Ceallach — I edited your post only to change a word that, for some strange reason, was being edited, or “kittenized.” Hope that’s ok!

Alice — I agree with the suggestions here. A safe, secure password-retention program might be a real boon for you! (I recommend that you review each program and check user reports and professional reviews, to ensure you’re getting a good one, but recommendations here are helpful, as well.)

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: oloap.9765

oloap.9765

keepass is open source, tested and safe, can put a kdbx file on dropbox and access it from anywere, ther’s also android and iphone versions, can also make a portable version ona usb stick and use on public pcs

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

I have heard good things about that program, although I’m not in a position to recommend any particular one.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet