Password suddenly not recognized anymore?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: AlbertoUlkesh.4517

AlbertoUlkesh.4517

How can this happen? All of a sudden I couldn’t log into the game or the website anymore.

I reset the password now and everything’s fine again. All my characters still have all their stuff…

Still, this leaves me with a queasy feeling. Should I be worried?

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Check your account to make sure there are no strange IPs showing at the login history.
Have you used a mobile phone to log in to the forums recently? That can mess with your password and not allow you to login.

AlbertoUlkesh.4517

Thanks, well I only see the last 3 log-ins and those are mine now. No, no mobile phone set-up.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

How about an iPad? If you use an iPad with a newer iOS (7.0.2 for sure) to access the forum it can mess up the password.

AlbertoUlkesh.4517

No, that’s not it either, hmm.

However, now that I think about it, I had made my first post in this forum earlier today and it stopped working after that. It’s the only thing that was “different”.

AlbertoUlkesh.4517

Okay, same thing just happenend again. I log into the forum to write a message, so far, so good. But the next time I want to log into the game my password is no longer recognized there and I have to reset it.

???

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

What are you using to login? A computer? A phone?

I’m having to use a semi-senile elderly iPad because my new iPad has the password bug. >.>

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

AlbertoUlkesh.4517

Regular computer with Windows 7.

However not the machine that runs the game. I’ve just tested this and logged both into the forum and the game on the same machine. This works.

I suspect there is some kind of check and the password gets revoked, if you try to log on from two different machines at the same time.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Regular computer with Windows 7.

However not the machine that runs the game. I’ve just tested this and logged both into the forum and the game on the same machine. This works.

I suspect there is some kind of check and the password gets revoked, if you try to log on from two different machines at the same time.

Yes, that is true. Take two PCs: You’re logged into your desktop and decide to move over to your laptop, but forget to disconnect. The server log-in system automatically will log you out of the first log-in and allow you to log in with the second. So I think that’s what’s happening here: Two points of access, the most recent overriding the older access.

Does that make sense to you?

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

AlbertoUlkesh.4517

Thanks for the response. There’s seems to be more going on here. My login at the 2nd machine invalidates the password. I can’t use it anymore on either machine then.

Anyway, I know now to be logged on only on one machine. That solves the problem.