Patching begins at 400-500KB/sec and then....

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Dracula.1709

Dracula.1709

…crashes to 0KB/sec and just rises every so often to 9-12KB/sec. It will take weeks to download the game at this rate. Sometimes it doesn’t download at all and just stops so I have to restart it.

For whatever reason I didn’t have this problem before. Couldn’t find any help from searching the net so I thought I’d post.

My normal download speed with other programs (which work fine) is 5,000-8,000KB/sec.

Router is open. No anti-virus. Windows UAC disabled.

Looking for suggestions.

Edit: There. KB

(edited by Dracula.1709)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

KB! KB! Capitalization counts when talking throughput. Lower case is kilobits, uppercase is KiloBytes.

That said when I patched the game last night at my parents, who have a 25mb/s connection, the download went in spurts. Goes to 2+MB/s for a couple of seconds, drops off to 0, delay, then some number of files are patched, spurts again, delay, more files are patched, rinse and repeat. This included Tuesday’s main patch.

At home I have a much slower connection and I have no spurting, just 300KB/s for two to three minutes for the patch patch and 20-30 minutes for Tuesday’s.

Are you just impatient? My folks have Comcast I have my telco’s DSL.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Dracula.1709

For the last hour it has just sat at 0KB. Every time I restart it the same thing happens.

Added these methods to my trial and error. No success.
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/arenanet-tracker/topic/292236-client-download-stuck-at-0kb-sec/

Posted by: Deathcreetin.7983

Deathcreetin.7983

This happens to me all the time, the last two days I’ve been having this problem, why is this even an issue?? I don’t even try anymore it happens to frequently.

Posted by: Hockmed.9417

Hockmed.9417

It’s the asset server your client is connecting to while it is updating. In the thread mentioned above I believe there are instructions on how to temporarily force a different server connection.

This happens nearly every time they update. But they blame your isp. Even though it has been demonstrated otherwise every single time.

edit: ok, not in the above link. scroll through some of the other can’t update posts and you will find it within a few pages.

(edited by Hockmed.9417)

Dracula.1709

It’s the asset server your client is connecting to while it is updating. In the thread mentioned above I believe there are instructions on how to temporarily force a different server connection.

This happens nearly every time they update. But they blame your isp. Even though it has been demonstrated otherwise every single time.

edit: ok, not in the above link. scroll through some of the other can’t update posts and you will find it within a few pages.

Currently searching ’can’t update’. Their search engine seems bad though. Not returning any posts of relevance. Thanks for the suggestion I will search until I find what you mentioned.

EDIT: Yes, I even contacted my ISP and had them check everything. Even refresh my signal. Of course it made no difference because I knew there is nothing wrong with my ISP. Or modem/router.

Posted by: Soulpuppet.1435

Soulpuppet.1435

I can’t install the game either, I’ve tried everything and it gets hung up at 0kb…soooo frustrating

Dracula.1709

Fixed it by doing what Aiden Savage suggest in this thread.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Can-t-Patch-1/first#post4743729

“Aidan Savage.2078
Add -assetsrv 93.188.135.37:80 to your gw2 shortcut’s target line with a space between the " at the end of what’s there, and the -. Fixed it for me."

Posted by: Talynebear.9187

Talynebear.9187

Thanks Dracula this helped me too. I found a few suggestions along those lines, but this IP actually worked!

Posted by: Khudri.9341

Khudri.9341

Awesome! Just added that line to my shortcut and it worked immediately!

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

So a faulty download server.

RNG strikes again.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes