Payment failure, appalling support ensues

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Zenith.2647

Zenith.2647

I’m trying to pre-order the xpac to no avail.

This all goes back to a payment issue I had when gw2 switched payment processors months and months ago. It was a very minor issue that could have been fixed with a simple phone call or email. I had just moved, twice in 2 years, my zip changed by 1 digit. I went to buy some gems, put the wrong zip in and (little did I know it) BAM kittened for life. So I contacted support and was told my card had been flagged as a high risk transaction. I explained the issue and inquired about the steps to take to fix this. Essentially was told buy gem cards, there’s nothing they can do, no way to help, etc. I asked to be put in contact with the payment processor and was ignored. All subsequent inquiries were met with something to the effect of “any further requests on this matter will not be given a reply”. So I made a forums post, nothing ever happened. I resigned to buying gem cards if ever I felt the need and that was that.

Fast forward to a week ago when I attempted to pre-order the xpac. I tried both on the gw2 site and the in – game store. Both failed. So I contacted the payment processor Digital River told them about my recurring issue and asked how to go about removing this flag on my card. They told me they didn’t know what I was talking about, were no longer affiliated with guild wars, have no record of the card transaction and highly recommend that I contact gw2 ’ s customer support. I thought hmm that’s weird.

So I had a friend try to use his card to pre-order for me as a last ditch effort because I didn’t want to get into it with “customer support” again since I didn’t get any the first time. Payment failed. Sigh. Fine.

I contacted support again. Took them almost a week to get back to me. They told me this new card, which had never before been used in their system or their payment processor’s system is showing signs of a high risk transaction. I’m not sure how since it’s never been used. Apparently this has nothing to do with a single card and also nothing to do with their payment processor who has no record of flagging me so I’m not sure why I’m being lied to or given the runaround. I just don’t understand why I can’t get help on this issue, why I’m being told there’s no way to bounce back from this, or why no card I attempt to use will work.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

You could try using PayPal as a middleman if you want to avoid them or one of those gift card/credit cards.

Zenith.2647

I really enjoy this game and the fact that customer service is so poor and inaccessible is downright disheartening. Because let’s be real, this is an easy fix, a fax or email from a bank and this should all be cleared up. The powerful unwillingness from ANet is what confuses and upsets me.

Zenith.2647

You could try using PayPal as a middleman if you want to avoid them or one of those gift card/credit cards.

Right but I had my roommate use his card and that failed and was subsequently flagged too. So what reason do I have to think a gift card won’t be the same? That was going to be my next logical step but I can’t get any answers/reassurances from ANET that it won’t result in the same mishap.

Zenith.2647

“Hello,

A particular payment method is not the only characteristic that is reviewed when purchase attempts are made.

As [we] mentioned, there are characteristics associated with your purchase attempts that are indicative of high risk purchases. We cannot provide more information than that for security reasons. If you are unable to purchase, it is because of those high risk characteristics and will continue to be the case as long as those characteristics are present.

I’m sorry, but there is no further assistance we can provide regarding this issue. If you need assistance with your account in another manner please let us know, otherwise we will not be able to discuss this particular issue further as we have already provided as much information as we can regarding the situation."

This is my latest support reply. How can “you’re kittened and will continue to be kittened until the reasons that you’re kittened are no longer present, but we can’t tell you what they are or how to fix them because reasons” be your customer support response ANet? How can a brand new card have measurable characteristics?

Healix.5819

The card might not be the problem. Your IP could be linked to a known scammer, your billing address could be blacklisted or your email could be flagged (hacked account).

If you use a proxy to change your IP, pay through PayPal and enter a different billing address and email, there’s no way they can know it’s you and therefore there shouldn’t be any problems.

For starters, use your browser’s private mode, then try using a different email for your billing address (it’s where the receipt is sent). If you have a dynamic IP, force it to change. After that, try entering a partially fake address, then try a proxy or VPN to change your IP range. Also, only try the website in case your account is the problem.

Alternatively, use a 3rd party instead, like Amazon.

Support can’t tell you any private information because they have no way of knowing who you are. Did you directly give them your entire billing information? If they think you’re highly suspicious however (a scammer), you’re basically dealing with identity theft and they’ll never trust you.

Zenith.2647

Officially have tried all that. Working on the paypal account. Not gonna hold my breath as no method or card I have tried so far on any IP, email or billing address I have attempted to use has resulted in success. I’ve never been banned, never hacked, never even reported.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

You said, “So I contacted the payment processor Digital River told them about my recurring issue and asked how to go about removing this flag on my card. They told me they didn’t know what I was talking about, were no longer affiliated with guild wars, have no record of the card transaction and highly recommend that I contact gw2 ’ s customer support.”

I’ve worked with Customer Support for years, and I have never seen such a response from Digital River and cannot understand why our partner would answer you, nor answer in such an inaccurate manner.

Please forward the complete e-mail thread with Digital River to Community@Arena.Net so that I can review it.

Note: You cannot purchase Guild Wars: Heart of Thorns through the Gem Store. The only option in the Gem Store would be the Digital Deluxe Upgrade, which is an upgrade to the expansion pack instead of the full expansion pack itself.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

To be fair…there is a ‘link’ in the Gem Store to purchase Heart of Thorns. If you purchase through that Gem Store link, your game is automatically upgraded (rather than having to apply the Serial Key). It doesn’t take you outside the game, the Gem Store stays open; it’s much like purchasing Gems and is offered/administered by Digital River. I think that’s what most players are talking about when they say ‘purchase HoT through the Gem Store’ or ‘purchase in-game’. =)

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Posted by: Vallily.8741

Vallily.8741

Gaile,

I’ve also experienced this problem with digital river during past transactions (When I purchased the base game during the $10 promo when HoT was announced). In that instance I talked to digital river’s customer service representative, who provided no help, and said it wasn’t their problem since they were no longer affiliated with arena net.

This time around I am having worse troubles and no payment is being accepted again. I have also tried 2 credit cards and as well as my paypal account to purchase the HoT ultimate expansion with no luck. I get a “payment authorization failed” after processing. They don’t mention why it failed, and there is no message as to who to contact when a failure occurs. I don’t feel like calling digital river support for them to tell me it’s not their problem again, even though they are providing the transaction processing.

Can arena net provide an alternate method for obtaining the digital downloaded expansion since digital river is beyond useless?

BTW, I have tried obtaining the expansion both in game and through the guildwars2.com website with no difference in outcome. Since my wife and I have an account I have tried buying 2 copies and only one to see if it’s a maximum amount limit. My only assumptions are that digital river thinks people only buy gems and any amount above and beyond $20-30 is flagged and not allowed to proceed.

I’m confused, I’m angry, and I’m without options at this point.

(edited by Vallily.8741)

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

Gaile,

I’ve also experienced this problem with digital river during past transactions (When I purchased the base game during the $10 promo when HoT was announced). In that instance I talked to digital river’s customer service representative, who provided no help, and said it wasn’t their problem since they were no longer affiliated with arena net.

This time around I am having worse troubles and no payment is being accepted again. I have also tried 2 credit cards and as well as my paypal account to purchase the HoT ultimate expansion with no luck. I get a “payment authorization failed” after processing. They don’t mention why it failed, and there is no message as to who to contact when a failure occurs. I don’t feel like calling digital river support for them to tell me it’s not their problem again, even though they are providing the transaction processing.

Can arena net provide an alternate method for obtaining the digital downloaded expansion since digital river is beyond useless?

BTW, I have tried obtaining the expansion both in game and through the guildwars2.com website with no difference in outcome. Since my wife and I have an account I have tried buying 2 copies and only one to see if it’s a maximum amount limit. My only assumptions are that digital river thinks people only buy gems and any amount above and beyond $20-30 is flagged and not allowed to proceed.

Except that I know people who have purchased hundreds (yes, hundreds, they actually hit the monthly cap that 1 credit card can purchase and thus are required to use a second card). It’s something else going on.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

The option you do have, which you have not yet pursued, according to Customer Support, is to submit a ticket to Customer Support and allow them to assist you. A senior agent informed me that they have received no tickets regarding the account associated with your display name, or at least no tickets in the last couple of years. Please submit a ticket so they can help you.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I’ve never been banned, never hacked, never even reported.

But in all fairness and for full disclosure, since you have asked for information about this situation, records indicate that that you’ve had issues with purchases since 2013. Customer Support has done their best to assist you, and from what I have seen, they explained the situation in the level of detail that they can offer. However, this is not a new situation and the issues preventing the completion of purchases is not on our side, nor on Digital River’s.

I truly hope that you can purchase the expansion pack! You may be able to do that through an online partner or through a local retailer. You then could upgrade to the DDE, if you desired to do so, by purchasing gem cards and upgrading through the online store.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Vallily.8741

The option you do have, which you have not yet pursued, according to Customer Support, is to submit a ticket to Customer Support and allow them to assist you. A senior agent informed me that they have received no tickets regarding the account associated with your display name, or at least no tickets in the last couple of years. Please submit a ticket so they can help you.

Are you referring to arena net customer support through email, in game support , or digital river customer support by email or phone?

It would be nice if these dispute resolution procedures were spelled out when the transaction is denied, then i could follow a prescribed procedure rather than winging it.

During my previous troubles I didn’t submit a ticket through this account because i was purchasing the base game. No account was associated with that type of transaction. But i did call digital river and the phone call was as the OP described, they refused to help and claimed they weren’t associated with the transaction at all. I wish you would take that seriously even though i did not follow procedure I was unaware of.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Are you referring to arena net customer support through email, in game support , or digital river customer support by email or phone?

It would be nice if these dispute resolution procedures were spelled out when the transaction is denied, then i could follow a prescribed procedure rather than winging it.

During my previous troubles I didn’t submit a ticket through this account because i was purchasing the base game. No account was associated with that type of transaction. But i did call digital river and the phone call was as the OP described, they refused to help and claimed they weren’t associated with the transaction at all. I wish you would take that seriously even though i did not follow procedure I was unaware of.

She is taking it seriously. That’s why she told you what the other option you have is: submit a ticket. Gaile can’t solve the problem and it would be best if CS heard the details directly from you.

Posted by: Darketower.5218

Darketower.5218

As she is a representative of Anet and GW2, and has confirmed that you’ve not already done so, I’m pretty sure she means clicking the “Support” link at the top of this very page, and submitting a support ticket to Anet’s Customer Support.

Vallily.8741

She is taking it seriously. That’s why she told you what the other option you have is: submit a ticket. Gaile can’t solve the problem and it would be best if CS heard the details directly from you.

Gaile can tell me where and what method to use to submit a ticket.

Gaile can recommend an update to payment processing that indicates how to resolve a transaction failure. Instead of a three word error message with no context.

Gaile can suggest to management that they review their relationship with digital river to ensure that their customers aren’t being treated like dirt when trying to resolve payment difficulties.

I’m not trying to be a problem, I’m trying to make sure that i get help, and the process is improved so people stop having these difficulties. So far Gaile and i have a dialog, and these comments detracting from real problems aren’t helping the situation.

This situation makes guild wars 2 and arena net look bad, but I’m fairly certain the problem is on digital rivers side.

I will submit a ticket when it’s clear who I’m supposed to submit a ticket to and how.

(edited by Vallily.8741)

Healix.5819

There is no in-game support and Digital River is not ArenaNet. There is only 1 way to submit a ticket: https://help.guildwars2.com/anonymous_requests/new

Instead of a three word error message with no context.

The error is basically the equivalent of a login error (the lack of a detailed message is to prevent abuse). The details you provided failed to pass a security check. Contact your bank/credit card issuer for further details. They likely thought the transaction was suspicious and blocked it.

Gaile can suggest to management that they review their relationship with digital river to ensure that their customers aren’t being treated like dirt when trying to resolve payment difficulties.

You’re not supposed to contact Digital River. You contact GW2 support.

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

OP may have to call their bank and make sure the bank hasn’t flagged that card they are trying to use and of course have the money available on the account to cover the purchase.

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Previous

Gaile Gray

To receive support for purchases, or for any other issue:

• Click Support at the top of this page
  • Click “Submit a Request”
  • Fill in the form with as much information as possible

Do not contact Digital River. Do not attempt to use the in-game system, as that clearly states you will not receive a response and there is no option for payment or billing support.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

You said, “So I contacted the payment processor Digital River told them about my recurring issue and asked how to go about removing this flag on my card. They told me they didn’t know what I was talking about, were no longer affiliated with guild wars, have no record of the card transaction and highly recommend that I contact gw2 ’ s customer support.”

I’ve worked with Customer Support for years, and I have never seen such a response from Digital River and cannot understand why our partner would answer you, nor answer in such an inaccurate manner.

Please forward the complete e-mail thread with Digital River to Community@Arena.Net so that I can review it.

Note: You cannot purchase Guild Wars: Heart of Thorns through the Gem Store. The only option in the Gem Store would be the Digital Deluxe Upgrade, which is an upgrade to the expansion pack instead of the full expansion pack itself.

I purchased the HoT deluxe edition through the gem shop using a debit/credit card, not the website. The basic and ultimate were also available here. On the home page of the gem shop was an advertisement on the right side for HoT and clicking that opened a new transaction window to choose which version of the expansion I wanted to pre-purchase. After buying it the advertisement no longer shows up in the gem shop and the deluxe edition upgrade under ‘upgrades’ tab is showing I had purchased it. It’s possible they changed it some time after I purchased it through the gem shop. Order #T8XX5C86

As for the OP, I came to see if there was any advice I could offer. Unfortunately I don’t have any since it’s all been said already. Sorry.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

I purchased the HoT deluxe edition through the gem shop using a debit/credit card, not the website. The basic and ultimate were also available here. On the home page of the gem shop was an advertisement on the right side for HoT and clicking that opened a new transaction window to choose which version of the expansion I wanted to pre-purchase. After buying it the advertisement no longer shows up in the gem shop and the deluxe edition upgrade under ‘upgrades’ tab is showing I had purchased it. It’s possible they changed it some time after I purchased it through the gem shop. Order #T8XX5C86

As for the OP, I came to see if there was any advice I could offer. Unfortunately I don’t have any since it’s all been said already. Sorry.

I think it is a bit based on wording and what you count as the gemstore. As I read it, Gailes gemstore is the ingame store where you can buy things using gems. While your gemstore is the entire first option in the Black Lion Trading company that is labelled gemstore, but offers the HoT expansion without the offer to buy them with gems.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

I think it is a bit based on wording and what you count as the gemstore. As I read it, Gailes gemstore is the ingame store where you can buy things using gems. While your gemstore is the entire first option in the Black Lion Trading company that is labelled gemstore, but offers the HoT expansion without the offer to buy them with gems.

That makes sense I guess.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: Basandra Skye.4031

Basandra Skye.4031

That makes sense I guess.

In simpler terms, you bought HoT through the interface offered through the BLTP’s Gemstore tab. Basically how you’d buy gems with money “ingame” as well.