Performance issue in new environment

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Crimby.5970

Crimby.5970

Hi,

Every time I turn around my character or go to a new map it has to load the environment. In this time, the performance is very low. I don’t have this issue with other games and verified some known solutions allready. Any an idea what the cause could be?

This is my PC specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon Phenom x6 1100T
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB ddr3 – 1333
VGA: Asus ENGTX560 Ti DCII TOP/2DI/2GD5 (is in 16x slot and latest driver)
HDD: SSD 120gb OCZ Vertex 3 (read 550mb/s write 500mb/s)
Power: CoolerMaster Silent Pro 700 Watt

Internet connection: 60mb/s

I don’t have any problems with high end games such as Call of Duty Black Ops II and Battlefield 3. Also Diablo 3 and World of Warcraft (offcourse deïnstalled and bought GW2 haha) worked perfectly.

Besides this problem, the game also randomly hangs (once a day or so) and then I have to restart the game.

Ruins of Surmia
Godless Crimbz, level 80, Charr, Warrior
God Crimbz, level 80, Sylvari, Mesmer

(edited by Crimby.5970)

Crimby.5970

Extra: As soon as I get home, I will try to find the error log and post the info in this thread.

Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: Mrowqa.3861

Mrowqa.3861

I put my 1$ for this CPU.
It’s old. barely handles GW2. You dind’t mentioned it’s Clock so prolly You didn’t even oc it.

This game is Heavy CPU game as most of mmos. WoW has really old graphic engine thats why you’ll get better fps.
This game is newer. shinier. and CPU bound as no other game.

And i wouldn’t call bf3 / black ops 2 a high end games… high end game is Metro 2033… or even old crysis which is still better in graphical lookfs then both of these games….

Crimby.5970

Dude, if you want to answer to my question please don’t start with “i put my 1$ for this CPU”… really it’s pointless… The same for BF3/Bo2 aren’t high end games and Metro is better…. or “You didn’t even OC it”… really pointless and kinda childish……

as for the requested extra info:
It’s the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition with a 3,3 gHz speed…

I have an extra screen where I monitor my CPU usage, Mem usage, Graphic usage…. and it’s never really high when playing….

PS. Oc-ing a CPU without special cooling (like water cooling) is kinda pointless anyway…

Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: Mrowqa.3861

Mrowqa.3861

Dude, if you want to answer to my question please don’t start with “i put my 1$ for this CPU”… really it’s pointless… The same for BF3/Bo2 aren’t high end games and Metro is better…. or “You didn’t even OC it”… really pointless and kinda childish……

as for the requested extra info:
It’s the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition with a 3,3 gHz speed…

I have an extra screen where I monitor my CPU usage, Mem usage, Graphic usage…. and it’s never really high when playing….

PS. Oc-ing a CPU without special cooling (like water cooling) is kinda pointless anyway…

Well since Your so smart and know everything Why would You even come here for help ?

Seriously did You even bother looking at other threads ? Did You read how a CPU usage is spread among cores for GW2 to know when it’s bottlenecking ?

2nd. You can easily OC that CPU to 4ghz on air cooling. You don’t need water cooling untill You want to oc over standard guides ( example i5-2500k over 4,7-9ghz requires water cooling. ).

And it’s not childlish.
First of all You should never compare games like MMo with standar shooting game like bf3. Even diablo 3 and wow aren’t close to CPU/GPU requirements when it comes to this game. Im just strightning Your post.

Did You bother checking Your temperature ? doin diax? looking for background programs running? repairing game before You came here?

Or look trought other similiar/Crash threads that show up like 10 a day ?

For this issue of Yours “Every time I turn around my character or go to a new map it has to load the environment. In this time, the performance is very low. I don’t have this issue with other games and verified some known solutions allready. Any an idea what the cause could be?” it’s 100% CPU which cannot clearly handle Guild wars 2 as Your losing a lot of performance. It’s not GPU cause this gpu handles game on high with no shatters/lowering performance when it’s behind good CPU. I’d suggest looking on thread with post specs & fps. as most ppl have realy similiar spec to Yours with diff CPUs ( intels mostly 99% ) and they have no problem with this game.

Could also be cause by some corrupted sectors on Your SDD and it’s having problems loading textures/areas.

You did not gave us any info except your computer specs which apart form telling Us can u play the game ( minimum req) doesn’t tell us a thing.
Run test programs in background while playing GW2 etc.

This on the other hand “the game also randomly hangs (once a day or so) and then I have to restart the game.” may be caused by game files. try to repair them ( search forums for guild wars 2 repair ). Try reinstalling game. and Check your Temps. From my exp some games like to hang due to high temps on CPU/GPU.

But hey im childlish… Even that I know for sure that most of Your issues are from The old – low single threaded performance CPU. You still going to Yell at me that I know nothing and Your smarter cause You can clearly play BF3 on high.

(edited by Mrowqa.3861)

Crimby.5970

well yes saying “you didn’t even OC it” or “I give 1$ for the cpu” is a stupid comment..

but back to the rest;
When i get back from work i will check some of the given information, however the things i allready know is the following:

- Performance is only lacking when changed map and it has to load the environment, not when it’s busy with mobs/events/players or many many AOE attacks.
- CPU goes not to 100% (not at all)
- Temps of CPU and GPU are perfectly fine (will check exact temps later today)
- No really background progs are running, none additionals at least
- Tried game on 2 different SSD’s, so I think it’s not that either
- My specs are better than recommended specs

The game really randomly hangs. Sometimes its in PvE (e.g. dungeons) or just in a city typing. The funny thing is.. every time the WvW get’s resetted (in my case Saterday morning at 01.00 am) and play WvW it never gives problems; no performance lacking or hanging. Even in the busy start in Eternal Battlegrounds…

Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: Sirrus.1786

Sirrus.1786

If anything, I’d say your CPU is holding you back. GW2 is heavily CPU bottlenecked.

Posted by: Medazolam.3058

Medazolam.3058

it is your CPU, i can tell that you dont want it to be, but it is.

overclock it and get better performance

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

The hangs could well be related to ur Internet connection …unless they r graphical hangs. Does the game slow down in terms of graphics ? ..mouse stuttering ? Or is it still smooth and just not responding when u click a skill ?

As for the low performance when loading maps and such, that will likely be down to ur CPU. AMD cpus are far behind Intel single thread performance currently, and as such Intel CPU are the only real choice if u want good performance in GW2..since GW2 is heavily reliant on single thread performance.
Do note however that there will still always be slight performance drops in GW2 when loading up new areas for the frist time…so say u port to LA, spin ur camera around once or twice and u will notice poor performance ..but after that everything is loaded winthin that part of LA and performance will go back up to the norm. The slower ur CPU & HDD the worse this drop in performance will be.

Your GPU is perfectly capable of running on almost max settings aside from Reflection,shadows and Sampling ..which i sugest should all be set 1 notch down from max, due to GPU limitations and GW2 bugs related to certain settings.

Also a point on OC’ing since its been mentioned. Its perfectly safe to do on air cooling. A highly sugested and relativly cheap air cooler like the Coolmaster Evo 212 is more than enough for low-mid range OC’s. You can even start touching high end OC’s on air cooling if u get top of the range stuff..thats what i’ve done. So water cooling is by no means the only option.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

(edited by SolarNova.1052)

Crimby.5970

I got the Coolermaster Hyper TX3 Evo air cooler for my CPU.

Internet connection is not failing… I tried running it right after the crash and its oke. The entire screen just freezes. My mouse is able to move and stays in the GW2 shape.
Maybe thats CPU related to….

What could be a recommendation? Upgrade it to 8350? Or should OC-ing be enough then?

Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

The freezing/crashing is a seperate issue to ur performance i would think.
It could do due to ur GPU. The Asus DCII-TOP series has only 1 flaw ..some of their cards are sent out without being 100% stable on their OC’s. Try downclocking the GPU’s factory OC.

To increase overall performance though u ether want a FX 8350 + OC that will give the best performance a AMD can give but will still fall below 30 fps in LA and WvW and probably large PvE events. (i dont usualy recommend this unless a person is on a very tight budget and already has the motherboard capable of taking said Chip)

To stay above 30 fps in WvW(large battles) LA, and heavy PvE events u would need a Intel i5 2nd/3rd gen OC’d to around 4.5ghz.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

Crimby.5970

Just OC-ed mine to 3,71 Ghz.. will try out today.

Else i kinda will check for a i5 or i7 later this year…

Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Haswell is due out come the end of Q2. This should hopefully lower prices on older generation gear. Or if you have a burning ambition to have the latest stuff, get Haswell.

Primary Guild: Testing Eternity [TE]
Chloe (Version 3):
[i7 930 @ 4.1Ghz (1.3875V) w/Cooler Master 120M][Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (stock)]

Posted by: Rampage.7145

Rampage.7145

U can overclock it to 4ghz easy, with that kind of cooling, for phenoms u have to raise the FSB speed tho, only increasing the multiplier won’t give u the same performance boost. U want a hyper transport/FSB speed of at least 3ghz if ur processor is runnign at 4ghz or close. Notice, at those speeds ur processor will be as fast as a 8350 stock, or very close.

(edited by Rampage.7145)