Permanently dismiss SMS reminder

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: sablephoenix.1593

sablephoenix.1593

Look, I get it, SMS is additional security, blah blah, etc., etc. My current password is perfectly adequate (I used xkcd’s method to come up with it) and I’m smart enough with my security practices that I do not want to be kitten d to faf about with a phone any time I disconnect my router or my ISP goes down. Unfortunately there are only “Sign up now” and "Remind me later’ options, and it blocks the Play button until you choose one. Where’s my “Don’t remind me again” option? It’s stupid and annoying to keep showing me this message, if I haven’t done it by this point I’m obviously NOT going to.

Posted by: Gator.5729

Gator.5729

Apparently Anet takes your account security more serious than you do. It is just another layer of security. It is one extra click and it takes less than a second to do it. I do it on my alt account everyday. It is there if you ever decide to use it.

sablephoenix.1593

I know it’s there if I ever decide to do it, I don’t need to be reminded. And it’s an extra UNNECESSARY layer of security that ends up being much more annoying than one extra click.

I take my account security plenty seriously, so if you don’t have anything to add but snide comments, keep it to yourself.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Apparently Anet takes your account security more serious than you do. It is just another layer of security. It is one extra click and it takes less than a second to do it. I do it on my alt account everyday. It is there if you ever decide to use it.

A second layer of security also adds a second layer of potential login problems inherently.

Some of us who are security savvy would rather not have bank level security for an online game.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Instead of SMS, use an authenticator. It’s faster than having to go through the trouble of reading an email for the default email authentication. I for example simply press a macro key, which pastes the authenticator’s code.

It actually is possible to disable the reminder, but only if you happen to have an old Local.dat file from before SMS was implemented and it has to be kept read-only. Alternatively, you can use the -email, -password and -nopatchui options to bypass the launcher entirely.

Some of us who are security savvy would rather not have bank level security for an online game.

The problem is, most people aren’t and hacked accounts are damaging to the game which is going to cost ArenaNet. The reminder is meant to be an annoyance because they’re a potential vulnerability.

Apparently Anet takes your account security more serious than you do.

Email authentication can actually be far more secure, but in the end, they’re all vulnerable. Anyone that fell for the in-game mails for example would have likely given away their SMS/authenticator/email code if prompted, allowing the attacker to remember their own IP.

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

SMS isn’t much use for those of us who don’t have the ability to receive them!

The most convenient .. or shall I say the lease inconvenient .. of such systems I have to deal with is Rift’s Coin Lock, it’s fairly painless and only triggers when there may be a need for it, 2FA is simply a PITA to have to deal with in any form simply to play a bloody video game!

(edited by Kraggy.4169)

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

The most convenient .. or shall I say the lease inconvenient .. of such systems I have to deal with is Rift’s Coin Lock, it’s fairly painless and only triggers when there may be a need for it, 2FA is simply a PITA to have to deal with in any form simply to play a bloody video game!

IC actually uses their home phone to receive SMS, so unless you have no phone at all, you can use it. Or you can use an authenticator. The reminder is only popping up for people have no 0 protection on their account. So there is cell phone, home phone or email. That should cover 99.99% of people.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: Kerin.9125

Kerin.9125

IC ?

And you’re wrong about 0 protection, I DO have e-mail protection, otherwise I’d not have received this, would I?

“Your ArenaNet code is: 44376

The log-in attempt was initialed from the following location:
Address: xx.xx.xx.xx
City: Poole
Region: K5

This location is approximated based on information provided by your Internet Service Provider.

If you suspect someone else might be attempting to access your account please change your password immediately.

For security purposes, we alert you each time your account is accessed from an unrecognized location.

Need help or have questions about your ArenaNet account? Visit our support site: http://support.guildwars2.com/

Thanks!"

I get one from time to time when my IP changes to a different class A (or maybe class, which is precisely what the SMS is about, isn’kitten

So according to you I should be getting petered by this fatuous popup, surely?

(edited by Kerin.9125)

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

IC ?

And you’re wrong about 0 protection, I DO have e-mail protection, otherwise I’d not have received this, would I?

“Your ArenaNet code is: 44376

The log-in attempt was initialed from the following location:
Address: xx.xx.xx.xx
City: Poole
Region: K5

This location is approximated based on information provided by your Internet Service Provider.

If you suspect someone else might be attempting to access your account please change your password immediately.

For security purposes, we alert you each time your account is accessed from an unrecognized location.

Need help or have questions about your ArenaNet account? Visit our support site: http://support.guildwars2.com/

Thanks!"

I get one from time to time when my IP changes to a different class A (or maybe class, which is precisely what the SMS is about, isn’kitten

So according to you I should be getting petered by this fatuous popup, surely?

Actually, if you read my reply, I quote the person I was talking to….. IC is someone who posts on the forums a lot. They use their home phone for SMS since they can’t use a cell phone. Still works. And no, you WON’T get the pop up because you have some form of protection.

You have the email authenicator on your account, thus, you have protection….

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

That might be me…I use my home phone for the SMS authenticator (I don’t own a smartphone). =)

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

You could try that shortcut with the additional text that does a bypass of launcher. You do have to include the login and password in the shortcut code.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

IC actually uses their home phone to receive SMS, so unless you have no phone at all, you can use it. Or you can use an authenticator. The reminder is only popping up for people have no 0 protection on their account. So there is cell phone, home phone or email. That should cover 99.99% of people.

I use e-mail notification and still get bombarded with the SMS reminder.

sablephoenix.1593

I use e-mail notification and still get bombarded with the SMS reminder.

Same here. If I have that form of authentication already, that should be plenty.

Again. Give us a “don’t remind me again” option.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

How would ANet know that your security is as good as you say it is? If there was an option to dismiss the reminder than not only would security-savvy folks (such as the OP) use it, but so would people who have terrible security practices.

Look at this way: it’s a small price for you to pay so the 10 people in your guild who aren’t good with securing their email or computer don’t get hacked. (When that happens, it costs the entire community; it’s worst for the one with the stolen account, but it hurts the rest of us, too.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”