Phenom II x4 underclock after 100% core load

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: eXzi.5872

eXzi.5872

Topic says most. Got new PC few days ago, like 1 day i get AMD Phenom II x4 965BE i know its old CPU but previous Athlon II was worst. With AMD Radeon 7770.

Spec: AMD Phenom II x4 965BE (not OC)
6 GB DDR3
AMD Radeon 7770 1GB

in PvE and small grp battles the FPS is 30,40 or 60 depends on zone. This is not my problem. The problem starts on Dragon events, Large populated and crowded areas.

Im completly aware that the fps wouldnt go higher than 15-20. This doesnt surprise me. But what is pretty bad and makes me more sad after guild missions are realesed, is im not capable of doing it.

Problem: High crowded areas, take all CPU usage and Load all 4 cores on 99-100%. After that CPU underclocks to 800 mhz, causing 1,2 fps unplayable gameplay for 5 or 8 sec.

Zones: Dragon Events , Lion Arch, Cursed Shore Events with more than 20+ players and sadly every Guild Mission (Bounty)

I tryied to disable AMD Cool and Quiet, Manually set Multipliers on all setting to match 17x 200 (3.4 Ghz default tact). Nothing works. When i start GW2 client the CPU usage only for this one program is above 55%. Problem allways starts after all cores are 95+% loaded.

If you got some suggestions, or this is caused by new patch few days ago, i would glad if you can help me

PS.: Its not temp problem, CPU never get higher than 52 degree. According to AMD max temp is 62 (70 i bet)

(edited by eXzi.5872)

Posted by: Lexandro.1456

Lexandro.1456

Motherboard settings and/or insufficent PSU. Your system is going on to “throttling” mode. Reset the system to stock and DONT mess around with OC settings at this time. That will only make matters worse.

Check that your PSU has the wattage required for your system. The also update the motherboards BIOS if there is one, and set it to stock/automatic setup for your CPU.

Posted by: zerk.9701

zerk.9701

List the exact mother board you have but this sounds more like a heat issue.
Download Real Temp GT 3.70 and run the game and see what it says.

eXzi.5872

ASUS M4N68T (social board) , reseted BIOS to default, updated to latest available.
It´s still doing the same, not temp problem. Removed case doors, temp was lowered to 50 when this happened, im using Core Temp for monitoring. Real Temp says it doesnt support Phenom II x4 965. No client crash, No PC restart, No BSOD. Other games works fine.

Posted by: Unspec.9017

Unspec.9017

Sounds like throttling. What is your PSU brand and what is it rated for?

Start core temp when you start the game, and go to a dragon event. Leave after a bit and tell us the max temp of all the cores.

eXzi.5872

500W PSU Seasonic. CPU + 3 stick of RAM + 2 standard SATA HDD 7.200 + MB + 1 case fan + GPU 7700 (recommended 450 PSU btw) + DVD RW. Nothing more. No addition cards or Physx cards etc.

Dragon Event temp on all cores 52-54.

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

Have you tried setting your Power Options (in Control Panel) to ‘High Performance’?

eXzi.5872

yep , it was like 1st thing i do after i saw that underclock.

I think it has something to do with Culling when there are more than 50+ players presented on event. I finished Claw of Jormagg recently in this hour and i got 10,15 fps whole fight (its normal and my goal after all) the CPU seems doesnt reach above 90% load.

Posted by: Unspec.9017

Unspec.9017

It could be a bad chip.

Posted by: basketcase.3894

basketcase.3894

My guess would be your motherboard is throttling your processor to prevent itself from overheating. If the VRM on the motherboard starts to get too hot, it will often throttle the CPU to prevent overheating (overheating of the motherboard, not the CPU). The best way to fix it is to get a new motherboard, but if that’s out of the question you could try undervolting the CPU. This might be enough to stop the throttling.

Posted by: Jazhara Knightmage.4389

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

3 sticks of ram is very sub optimal just to let you know, you want to use matched pairs with modern chips.

I asked around, that board really isnt built for higher watt chips the 965 is a 125watt rated chip.

cheapist option would be http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-ga78lmtusb3

if you can use a full atx board, the asrock extreme4 boards are better but they also cost a bit more and arent matx.

my guess is the fellow above is correct the vrm’s that power the cpu are getting hot and the boards throttling.

AMD FX-8350@4.8ghz on air(SilverArrowSB-E Extreme) , 32gb 1866mhz(10-11-10 cr1)
PCP&C 1200watt TC, Crosshair V F-Z, Sapphire 290x

eXzi.5872

Ok so i tryied, undervolting from 1.480 V to 1.380V (most default voltage i saw in CPU Test from websites.) I rly don´t understand why it was set to 1.480 V maybe its OC in default ? And it seems do the trick (I better watch temps and load whole day of playing im not optimist) and i hope it fix the issue. I dont have job actually otherwise i would buy i5 with new MB + RAM

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

Its highly likely to be the motherboard VRM’s are overheating. At high voltage there is much more heat buildup on not only he CPU but also on the motherboard. As stated above, that particular board may have a compatable chipset with ur current CPU but it is not rated for such a high wattage CPU, this is likely what is causing the throttling.
Undervolting will deffinatly help.
Infact all CPU chips can generaly be undervolted on stock clocks by some degree and if u dont like the idea of OC’ing then undervolting should be attempted to atleast let the CPU run cooler.

Anyway if u got the problem sorted by undervolting thats great but dont be surprised if ur Motherboard gives out eventually running a CPU its not rated for.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

Posted by: Espionage.3685

Espionage.3685

My motherboard (maybe most?) sets a higher voltage on stuff than needed initially. For example, my RAM was at 1.65V but the box rated it at 1.6V, and it runs fine at that.

CPU at stock clocks was at 1.43V, but I can UV to 1.3V just fine.

One thing to try if you need to lower the watt usage of your CPU, you can try disabling a core.

basketcase.3894

1.48V is really high for a phenom II at stock, not sure why your motherboard would have done that. I would still say a motherboard upgrade should be in the not too distant future for you, but if it’s running smoothly with the voltage adjustment you should be good for now.

Posted by: iafro.5347

iafro.5347

Basketcase is right with the idea of vrm’s overheating. Lower you voltage because its way to high for stock, and you should be fine.

Posted by: Xinterp.5368

Xinterp.5368

Try also checking the power supply. It could be not putting out the starting power it needs. Test wall and the actual PC Power Supply.

Back on that topic, have you been getting BSOD’s? And if so, do you have the DUMP file?

If so, post it. We’ll see what we can do.

eXzi.5872

Last time when i saw BSOD it was like 7 years ago , 3 PC setups later System is solid stable, the only issue with this CPU and MB was in Guild Wars 2, i tryied like 25 other games and all works fine.

Posted by: Zimmy.4726

Zimmy.4726

im having the same issue as u soon as more than 30/40 people on my screen and they start using skills i get lagg jittry and fps drops from 30 between 2-8

im using a AMD II 3.0 gz duocore
vista 32bit ultimate
4g ram
GTX650ti
600w psu
board is – asrock n68c-s ucc phenom II am2+/am3

any tips to help me???

Posted by: God Of Fissures.8627

God Of Fissures.8627

Go into your BIOS and disable things such as “Cool N’ Quiet” and any other settings that throttle the CPU.

i7-3770K (Delidded) @ 4.6GHz | nVidia GTX TITAN X@ 1468/7800
ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz @ 2400MHz
Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSD | Windows 10 x64

Posted by: Zimmy.4726

Zimmy.4726

what else “throttles your cpu” which i can help mine?

basketcase.3894

im having the same issue as u soon as more than 30/40 people on my screen and they start using skills i get lagg jittry and fps drops from 30 between 2-8

im using a AMD II 3.0 gz duocore
vista 32bit ultimate
4g ram
GTX650ti
600w psu
board is – asrock n68c-s ucc phenom II am2+/am3

any tips to help me???

Have you seen downclocking of your processor in these situations like eXzi had? If your CPU is still running full throttle, you could just be seeing the limit of your CPU.

If you are experiencing downclocking, the first thing you need to check is your core temps. If your core temps are getting too high, your processor can be throttled back to prevent damage from overheating. If your core temps aren’t getting too high, it could be a similar situation to eXzi where your CPU is being throttled to protect the motherboard’s VRM from overheating. If you are getting throttling for either reason, try undervolting the CPU, and see if that is enough to alleviate the heat problems (if it’s the CPU overheating, you can also get a better CPU cooler).