Players/NPCs loading horribly slowly

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: LittleZoe.4970

LittleZoe.4970

So, the problem is this: In certain areas, which are mostly cities, for some reason the player and NPC models don’t always load like they are supposed to.

For example this always happens in Lion’s Arch. I go up to the Mystic Forge and there are no NPCs or players anywhere, the whole place is empty. But if i press the alt button, i can see lots of NPC names, without the actual models. I can talk to them as well.

After this, it takes like from 30 seconds to 1 minute until they suddenly start loading in, along with the players.

This is getting extremely immersion breaking and annoying… i have no idea what causes this… It happens in Rata Sum as well, but not as frequently like in LA.
Sometimes it happens outside in zones, but it’s more rare there.

Any idea how to fix this? :/

My specs are these:

RAM: 2GB
GPU: Ati Radeon HD 3850 1276MB
CPU: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 2.33GHz (2 CPUs) ~2.3GHz

Zoe Clawstorm – Norn Necromancer

(edited by LittleZoe.4970)

Posted by: Ceci.6940

Ceci.6940

What graphics card are you running? Is it equal to or better than what is required? Have you updated graphic card drivers?

LittleZoe.4970

I have an ATi Radeon HD 3850 and i have the 12.6 drivers as those are the latest ones that support my card.

Posted by: Rokwell.5342

Rokwell.5342

I have sometimes the same problem, even with my config : Intel Core i5-3570, Asus P8Z77-M,
8G RAM, GeForce GTX 670 (2048 )

Posted by: mcl.9240

mcl.9240

It’s a known problem the devs have acknowledged, and it’s a server-side issue. It has nothing to do with your PC.

LittleZoe.4970

It’s a known problem the devs have acknowledged, and it’s a server-side issue. It has nothing to do with your PC.

Well that would be good to know… can you link where did they say that…?

LittleZoe.4970

I went to LA again just to test this again… now i know how it works… When i go ~6 or 7 ingame meters away from a group of players and NPCs and turn my back, they all disappear suddenly when i look back. If i run back and stay exactly next to them, they will still stay invisible for almost a whole minute before they appear again…

I heard that there is a limit of character models on screen, but this is ridiculous… The whole city feels empty if i keep running around…

It would be nice to hear something back from Anet here…

LittleZoe.4970

I see they don’t care… whatever then

Posted by: Lordseffy.8371

Lordseffy.8371

@LittleZoe:

They do care, which is why they spend their time working on the game instead of posting on their forums 24/7.

Unfortunately you’re not always going to get a developer to respond directly to an issue you might be having.

Try disabling the option that says something to the effect of “High Resolution Character Models” and see if that helps. If it makes you feel any better, I’m on a higher end system running a GTX 670 and I still have this issue too. It’s an acknowledged problem right now and I’m fairly certain it’s a problem with the reduced character draw distance.

It’s a minor issue with the game that will no doubt be addressed fairly easily, as they changed this during the beta weekends, too.

Worth mentioning, that I haven’t seen mentioned in this thread, is your graphics card: yours is at the BARE MINIMUM required to launch the game. Consider, if it’s possible, to upgrade. Or at the very least, be aware that you may run into some technical issues due to the low end nature of the card. For the uninitiated, here is the 3850’s technical specifications:
—————————-
Device Type: Graphics card
Bus Type: PCI Express 2.0 x16
Vista Capability: This is a modern graphics card capable of running all the new features in Windows Vista, including the upcoming DirectX 10.
Graphics Processor / Vendor ATI Radeon HD 3850
RAMDAC 400.0 MHz
Max Resolution 2560 × 1600
Max Monitors Supported 2.0
Interfaces 1.0 x HDMI – 29 pin combined DVI ( With adapter ),
2.0 x DVI-I (dual link) – 19 pin HDMI Type A,
1.0 x S-video / composite / HDTV component video output
API Supported OpenGL 2.0,
DirectX 10.1
Features Integrated HD Audio controller , Yes,
ATI CrossFireX Technology,
Avivo HD Technology
Memory
Video Memory Installed 256.0 MB
Technology GDDR3 SDRAM
Bus Width 256-bit
—————————-

While I won’t say this is the source of your problems, it is no doubt a factor in your extended rendering times. Again, consider upgrading. I’d be happy to offer a few recommendations if you didn’t know where to start.

LittleZoe.4970

Thank you, but i in no way have any money to spare to buy a new card, sadly. My computer was never upgraded yet and it probably won’t be unless i win the lotto.

I can play the game on medium/high with 20-30 FPS and that’s okay for me, i didn’t even expect more. But this slow loading of characters is still a bit annoying and since i didn’t have this issue in the betas, it must be something changed on their end.

Also, the problem doesn’t happen outside of cities at all, i can say that for sure now.

What i also noticed is that in cities not only the models load slowly, but my skill sounds and character voices are also delayed or not played at all.

Posted by: Nuorus.8415

Nuorus.8415

I got the same problem as you do and it is specially annoying in WvWvW as you might find yourself in middle of enemy group. My specs scored 9 and 10 from “can you run it” tests. Going to get another graphics card and put SLI on. I wonder if it helps at all to load the characters faster. Also I’m going to get more ram.

Feel free to argue with me. You learn something every time and it develops your personality.

People seems using word “trolling” out of context way too often…

Posted by: Nitro.4732

Nitro.4732

I got the same problem as you do and it is specially annoying in WvWvW as you might find yourself in middle of enemy group. My specs scored 9 and 10 from “can you run it” tests. Going to get another graphics card and put SLI on. I wonder if it helps at all to load the characters faster. Also I’m going to get more ram.

SLi is Hit and Miss it could actually make your performance worse. you may want to read the forums about other peoples SLi issues and see what your getting yourself in for.

Also Guild Wars Scales in performances with CPU far better than it does with GPU’s

CoolerMaster Masterbox 5 | H110i | AMD Ryzen R7 1800x 4.0GHz | 32GB DDR4
512GB Samsung 950pro | 2TB SATA-3 | AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

SLi is Hit and Miss it could actually make your performance worse. you may want to read the forums about other peoples SLi issues and see what your getting yourself in for.

Also Guild Wars Scales in performances with CPU far better than it does with GPU’s

I have no issues with sli,it works just fine,massive boost in fps aswell.

Posted by: blim.6320

blim.6320

Hi, I’m new to this game and I’m having this problem. keep walking into my death because its not loading npc but also I’ve noticed other players will load about 5 meters away!?!

Not sure I like this in a MMO. I guess this have been tweaked for performance reasons but why cant there be a option like in WvW to change this?