Policy for posting videos on Youtube/others

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Coffee.2538

Coffee.2538

On some of my GW2 gameplay videos that i posted on youtube, i recently got a “Matched third party content” warning, upon further investigation it was stated that

Your video may include the following copyrighted content:
Visual content administered by:
Plaync

Although my videos were not taken offline, nor did it affect my account status with youtube, i would like clarification of the content policy for posted videos, and would like to know of a link to said policy if i am allowed to post this content.

Posted by: Renegadeimp.8439

Renegadeimp.8439

You can post content, but you need to add the disclaimer that everything is property of PlayNC/Arenanet etc.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

You cannot use the monetization system for YouTube or other services. In order words, you cannot make money from our products.

YouTube will often note that someone has monetized copyright content, and they will summarily (and properly) close the videos or close the accounts of those involved. You don’t mention if you were using the monetization system, but if you were, you should close the video and re-upload without monetization, or you should disable monetization through the YouTube interface.

Now, I should say that this policy may be adjusted in some ways, in the future. We will be sure to let people know if the policies change. But at the current time, that is what is stated in the Guild Wars 2 Content Terms of Use and that is what should be observed.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: Vandell.8603

Vandell.8603

I wager this idea is a mistake, as if you want to be technically accurate, all sites that review your game should apparently take down their videos, and all popular game players [TotalBiscuit, the Yogscast, etc.] should simply walk away from your title.

Posted by: RaZaC.1963

RaZaC.1963

This sounds like something from SOPA… Now i understand why there is so little coverage on the game by TB and other gaming youtube channels like ForceStrategyGaming. If they cant make money of your product by making video’s of playing your game, they obviously are not going to make those video’s.

Posted by: quacthulhu.2546

quacthulhu.2546

I think you’re okay unless there is advertisements attached to the viewing. ad’s pay someone, and someone getting paid “for viewing allowance” is an indirect break of the SOPA

Character Slot avoided Riot.
- – - — -- — – - -

Posted by: RaZaC.1963

RaZaC.1963

Tought SOPA and PIPA didnt pass?

Posted by: washednblood.1862

washednblood.1862

Correct, SOPA and PIPA have not passed at this time, however, they are not dead by any stretch. Also, I would love to see this updated as people being able to make videos of the game, in a professional capacity, is just good for the community.

Posted by: Eamil.7168

Eamil.7168

I wager this idea is a mistake, as if you want to be technically accurate, all sites that review your game should apparently take down their videos, and all popular game players [TotalBiscuit, the Yogscast, etc.] should simply walk away from your title.

Woah, talk about reading too far into things. Review sites obviously have legal permission to record and post videos for money, and TB/Yogscast/etc. are all employed by companies like The Game Station that have agreements with numerous developers and publishers to allow for the same thing, including ArenaNet which is why TB and Yogscast were both able to post GW2 videos with ads during beta. What Gaile is saying is that unless you already have such permission – and you would know it if you did – you’re not allowed to make money off GW2 videos.

Also, this isn’t “something from SOPA.” Something from SOPA would be if the OP was slapped with thousands of dollars in fines.

(edited by Eamil.7168)

Posted by: Coffee.2538

Coffee.2538

Oh wow, i didnt intend to cause such a stir. But thank you for the clarification. I didnt monetize any of my videos, and thats probably why i didnt get hit with a violation. At least they let me post my gameplay videos for fun.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Woah, talk about reading too far into things. Review sites obviously have legal permission to record and post videos for money, and TB/Yogscast/etc. are all employed by companies like The Game Station that have agreements with numerous developers and publishers to allow for the same thing, including ArenaNet which is why TB and Yogscast were both able to post GW2 videos with ads during beta. What Gaile is saying is that unless you already have such permission – and you would know it if you did – you’re not allowed to make money off GW2 videos.

Also, this isn’t “something from SOPA.” Something from SOPA would be if the OP was slapped with thousands of dollars in fines.

Thank you for understanding. We’re not out to “punish” people for posting their videos, but like any company involved with copyright material — from this movie company to that fast-food restaurant to the other book publisher — we take reasonable efforts to protect our IP (intellectual property). Things are likely to change and more latitude is very likely to be given, but not just yet. And that is what the OP asked about and he seems fully to understand, so I think we’re good.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

And you know what? That isn’t quite the whole picture, so I’m going to clarify a bit. (Yes, I’m necro-posting, but y’all will forgive, right? )

Technically, it’s against the current Guild Wars 2 Content Terms of Use for people to make money through such things as monetizing a Guild Wars 2 video. However, we support people sharing their experiences with our game. (Heck, we <3 people doing that!) So while we want to do the right thing and accurately relay what the CToU says — because that’s often the question — we do not take action when fan sites support themselves via ads, and we don’t take action when the creators of fan videos place ads. In other words, we do not flag such videos.

[Edited to add link to CToU]

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)