Poor FPS Help

Poor FPS Help

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Swoosh Parker.1507

Swoosh Parker.1507

Hey, everyone. I have a Lenovo y410p (i7-4700MQ@2.4GHz, GT 750M). I experience pretty bad FPS pretty much always. I just got back into the game and so I made a new character; in the starting Sylvari area I experience about 15fps (there are a couple people around), but it does get slightly better to 20-35 around the first few Heart events.

I’ve made sure that the game is run with the GPU rather than the integrated Intel graphics. I also use “autodetect” graphics so I know I’m not trying to push the system, and I have even lowered the settings from there to little success. I can only imagine in WvW, or pretty much anywhere with more than 5 people around..

Any ideas!? Thank you!

Poor FPS Help

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

You should be getting better fps with that hardware… o_Oa
I’m serious.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Poor FPS Help

Posted by: MrFayth.3546

MrFayth.3546

Autodetect is a bad idea in most circumstances. It’s rarely accurate for getting “good” fps,in pretty much any games that have an auto detect, and it’s especially bad in Gw2 because this game will still bring top of the line CPUs+GPUs to <30fps in heavy situations.

Without knowing what auto detect thought was best for your system,there’s a few options that are much more troublesome than others.

• Character limits/quality- These generate the most amount of Draw Calls. More characters=more meshes=more strain on the main Thread used by Gw2. I generally keep these on med/high and high/med(or low) for WVW.
  • Supersampling- Pretty self explanatory. If not, a quick google search will tell you why this is such a heavy hitter.
  • Shadows- Ultra shadows seem to cause a decent spike in Frame Time Latency for lots of people.
  • Reflections- Reflections cause a disproportionate amount of performance loss vs. visual fidelity improvement because of how Anet does water in gw2. Under every map(that ive seen) is a huge body of water. To make a lake or other large body of water,they simple dip the terrain level into the water level. The problem is that the water constantly reflects everything(if set too),even when you cant see any water at all.
i5 4690k @4.1ghz, r7 260x 1180/1680,8Gb G.skill Ripjaw 2133, 120gb ssd Gw2+OS

Poor FPS Help

Swoosh Parker.1507

That’s what I was thinking, Loli.. haha.

Thanks, MrFayth. I had pretty everything on medium or low, but now I’ve made sure those settings in particular are at their lowest setting available. I found my experience to be a little improved (less visual stutter), but the fps was more or less the same in the 20s-30s. I warped to the Village of Astorea waypoint and saw the fps drop to about 15. I waited for many seconds then walked around, and then it jumped to 70 or so, before dropping back down. It’s still really frustrating..

Poor FPS Help

Loli Ruri.8307

You could try playing with the settings in Nvidia Control Panel.

Poor FPS Help

Swoosh Parker.1507

Thanks for the suggestion. There’s like 15 options of textures, rendering, and other such nonsense that I do not understand. No idea what should be on or off, etc., if anyone can make a suggestion?

Poor FPS Help

Posted by: Riftweaver.4865

Riftweaver.4865

i would love if somebody could give some recommendations for tinkering in the control panel. im getting these problems too and its killin me =(

Poor FPS Help

Loli Ruri.8307

I would suggest moving the nvid control settings to either off, low, or performance. Start game, feel how it is, then if it’s good, try upping some settings, restart game, see how it goes.