Poor FPS on an Alienware M14X R-2

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Hunzo.4509

Hunzo.4509

Ok so I’ve contacted support and they appear to have gone dead on me for some reason now, so I’m making a post here.

System specs (If anyone wants a copy of my DxDiag if they think they can help i will happily upload it)

Windows 7 64 Bit
Processor – Intel® CORE i5-3210M CPU@2.50Ghz 2.50GHZ (quad core)
RAM – 6GB
Model – Alienware M14XR2
Graphics Driver – NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, and Intel® HD Graphics 4000

Ok so what is the issue, well these specs should be able to easily run GW2 at lowest specs with a decent FPS, however i find myself running at a relatively low FPS and getting unbearable FPS drops in intensive areas such as Dungeons, WvW, and LA, and I’m talking sub 10 FPS, and using Heaven Benchmark i got an AVG FPS of 40 with only 2 FPS drops below 20 which only lasted literally milliseconds.

So what have i done allready;

- Reinstalled GW2 to a new location
- Repaired
- Done everything in this link – https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/FPS-and-Performance-based-issues-1/first#post338300
- Disabled all start up processes with MSconfig
- Updated all my graphics drivers
- Disabled every single non required process with Smart close – It should be mentioned that i had a very high process count of 100+ and even when i ran this i still had 70+ processes going yet only had about 6 showing in the list.
- Run GW2 as admin.

And yet after doing all this I’m still getting FPS issues.

(edited by Hunzo.4509)

Posted by: Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Ok so I’ve contacted support and they appear to have gone dead on me for some reason now, so I’m making a post here.

System specs (If anyone wants a copy of my DxDiag if they think they can help i will happily upload it)

Windows 7 64 Bit
Processor – Intel® CORE i5-310M CPU@2.50Ghz 2.50GHZ (quad core)
RAM – 6GB
Model – Alienware M14XR2
Graphics Driver – NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, and Intel® HD Graphics 4000

Ok so what is the issue, well these specs should be able to easily run GW2 at lowest specs with a decent FPS, however i find myself running at a relatively low FPS and getting unbearable FPS drops in intensive areas such as Dungeons, WvW, and LA, and I’m talking sub 10 FPS, and using Heaven Benchmark i got an AVG FPS of 40 with only 2 FPS drops below 20 which only lasted literally milliseconds.

So what have i done allready;

- Reinstalled GW2 to a new location
- Repaired
- Done everything in this link – https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/FPS-and-Performance-based-issues-1/first#post338300
- Disabled all start up processes with MSconfig
- Updated all my graphics drivers
- Disabled every single non required process with Smart close – It should be mentioned that i had a very high process count of 100+ and even when i ran this i still had 70+ processes going yet only had about 6 showing in the list.
- Run GW2 as admin.

And yet after doing all this I’m still getting FPS issues.

Disregarding the LA and WvW (if we’re talking large WvW battles) performance since that is normal on a dual-core hyper-threaded first generation core iseries Intel processor at a pretty low frequency. However, your performance in dungeons shouldn’t be affected too much since only 5 people are around. Do you get drastic reduction of FPS in Dungeons?

Being on a laptop, you should check and make sure your GPU and CPU temperatures are within their limits. If you don’t already have software that monitors your GPU temperature and CPU temperature, then I recommend getting HWMonitor, which can be found here:
http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/1.23-setup.exe

Primary Guild: Testing Eternity [TE]
Chloe (Version 3):
[i7 930 @ 4.1Ghz (1.3875V) w/Cooler Master 120M][Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (stock)]

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Assuming you slipped a digit and you have an i5-3210M, it’s a dual core with HT which for gaming is like having a dual core but slightly overclocked.

Have you checked to see if it really using the 650M or did it stay with the Intel 4000.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Hunzo.4509

With regards to both your comments, i can assure you it is quad core it says so in my DxDiag, and yes i am 100% running it on the 650M at least that is what i’ve set it to run at. And with regards to the dungeons yes there FPS drop in them is where it’s generally the worst it’s unbearably bad i can’t even dodge half the time it’s that bad.

Behellagh.1468

Then link your DxDiag so we can see exactly which CPU you are using because there is no such thing as an i5-310M. If I’m right and it’s an i5-3210M, well here’s the Intel data on it. Note the # of cores.

http://ark.intel.com/products/67355/

An HT duel core will read as 4 logical cores when in reality it’s only two cores and mirrors.

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Hunzo.4509

Yet it’s a typo i’m running a 3210M.

Hunzo.4509

bump……………….

Behellagh.1468

Well first you didn’t say if you confirmed that the game was running on the 650M just that’s what you told it to use. A utility like GPU-Z could confirm it.

You didn’t mention in the list of things tried included setting the game’s graphic settings to minimum to see how they affected performance in those regions. I would imagine not a whole lot unless you are in a relatively quiet area.

Ilithis did point out that in those areas the game becomes very CPU than GPU dependent. You seem to ignore that piece of news.

Your CPU is a dual core with HT and the game does get a significant boost in performance with a true 3rd core. HT only gives a dual core 10-20% performance boost on average over a non HT dual core in thread heavy tasks. Thus my “acts like an overclocked dual core” comment.

Assuming the game is installed on the traditional HD rather than the tiny SSD, defrag your HD. Especially as that drive files up. The game has a 16GB data file, I can’t imagine what would happen to performance if that was chopped up into lots of little pieces all over the hard drive.

So it doesn’t surprise me if that’s what you are seeing. It’s not a issue of GPU performance but a CPU one.

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Zeta.3198

Zeta.3198

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/New-fps-problem/first#post2514194

Same issue here

Oh, and it dropped even more, it is now around 10 fps on best performance

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

I got the same issue. I tried plenty of solutions provided by the internet but to no avail…. which sucks…

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

Posted by: do it.4016

do it.4016

Same here. i got chance for constant FPS drop to 5-9 fps inside game maps.
restarting PC solve the FPS drops, but then it come back randomly after game restart.
all of this wasn’t an issue before last patch.
please also note that Game is just running fine on character selection screen.
~don’t tell me its my PC because the game is running on dedicated GW2 PC !
as the gfx card never exceed 45°C on overdrive OC settings

lv80>Mesmer>Damage Capping build>Supporter

(edited by do it.4016)

Posted by: Ricky.4706

Ricky.4706

graphics card doesn’t have much to do with it, i was getting insane fps on a gtx 460 – i custom built a system that overclocks itself with the 4770k – i was monitoring the system while i was playing gw2 – it overclocked itself to 4.0 ghz (from it’s base 3.5ghz ) – which i thought was kinda cool because this was just on the intel turbo – which is supposed to cap at 3.9 – but i have a good board to match it. Chances are it’s your cpu that’s choking.

it should also be noted that I saw my 170 fps lock down to a solid 61 – I think the developers throttled the fps – this was possibly to respond to the overheating cpu issues.

You may want to try disabling any additional software you have that may be taxing the cpu because without a doubt gw2 is very heavy on the cpu

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

(edited by Ricky.4706)