Possible To Give GW2 as a Gift?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Oghier.7419

Oghier.7419

Is it possible to give someone a (digital) copy of GW2 as a gift? I know I could run down to a store, buy a copy and ship it, but I’d prefer to give some copies out the new-fashioned way, via emailing them a serial code

Amazon has gifting disabled for the digital editions. I can’t find any such option on the shop page here.

In addition to the in-game events, Christmas is coming to the real world soon, too!

Snit Dirtnap (Thief)
Ratbag Dogsticker (Guardian)
…Yak’s Bend

Posted by: Derptrix.9320

Derptrix.9320

I’m not 100% sure but…I was given GW2 as a gift, prior to release, as was a friend of mine, digitally.

I can’t entirely remember rightly as I’ve slept since then but I do recall being emailed a serial code.

Don’t go quoting me but…I’m preeeetty sure I’m remembering accurately enough. Purchase presents a code, not an instant binding to an account. I think.

Posted by: Talyjta.9081

Talyjta.9081

You may not give a used code to someone. But a “new” one should be no problem. Then you are re-distributing not the account (and that would be forbidden) but the possibility to open up an account.

Edit: On the other hand…

Guild Wars 2 User Agreement
2. LIMITED LICENSE – SERVICE, CONTENT AND SOFTWARE LICENSED NOT SOLD
(f) Additional Restrictions – You acknowledge You will not directly or indirectly, to the extent permitted by applicable law:

(iv) … engage in any activity that could in any way transfer or provide others access to any Service, Content, Software, or parts thereof, including but not limited to any serial code number, access key or the like.

Presenting might be or might not be “any activity to the extent permitted by applicable law”…? Maybe you should contact the support about this.

(edited by Talyjta.9081)

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

I think if you use their email address in the online purchase, the code should goto them.

When I put my own email, the code went to my email. It should still work the same for anybody else.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

I’m asking about this now to be sure I give you the best info.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: kendiara.8675

kendiara.8675

I recommend being careful with the email going to someone else with you as the credit card owner, (especially if its the same card you used to buy yours) as that’s what I did and my kids accounts are in the waiting for support que. I don’t know if mine was a fluke or if that’s just an automatic flag on the accounts but I’d wait for Gaile’s response before doing it.

Posted by: Jemmali.7642

Jemmali.7642

Here is how I bought GW2 for my daughter:

1. I bought the game from https://buy.guildwars2.com/en/. At the end of the transaction they sent me an email link to download the game and the code to activate it.

2. I forwarded the email to my daughter.

3. My daughter made a Guild Wars 2 account, downloaded the game and activated it.

So far she has not had any problems. I would assume you could give the game to somebody else in the same way. The only complication would be if they needed the credit card used to purchase the game for whatever reason.

Posted by: LastDarkness.7390

LastDarkness.7390

Would love a Update with added information. As is now im going the same as Jemmali.