Precursors

Precursors

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SolitaryPillarist.5740

SolitaryPillarist.5740

I have noticed an interesting trend in the last couple months. Players in game less than a year have had a very large spike in the numbers of precursors dropping from the forge and foes.

What I would like to know is if ANET can check the drop tables and see if players under a year are getting more precursors than they should be. When I say large spike I know people under a year with more than 6 precursors. By under a year one guy has had the game since October, another has had the game a whopping 2 months. Maybe ANET could show some of that precursor love to players who have had the game almost 4 years and have never gotten a drop worth more than 50g.

Precursors

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I’m sure there was a lot of people who had precursors drop between August 2012 and February 2013 as well. Everyone only had the game for no more than six months then.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Precursors

Posted by: Whitefang.4968

Whitefang.4968

it depends on the quantity of times people try it. i got the game back when gw2 came out, and quit within a month and restarted with HoT on same account. after HoT, i have gotten 9 precursors in 3 months, 20 ascended chest from fractal (excluding 5 i got after the fractal patch recently) 1 from TT, 1 from Teq and 1 from WvW.

doesn’t necessarily mean that new people are getting them, just that they try their luck more.

Precursors

SolitaryPillarist.5740

it depends on the quantity of times people try it. i got the game back when gw2 came out, and quit within a month and restarted with HoT on same account. after HoT, i have gotten 9 precursors in 3 months, 20 ascended chest from fractal (excluding 5 i got after the fractal patch recently) 1 from TT, 1 from Teq and 1 from WvW.

doesn’t necessarily mean that new people are getting them, just that they try their luck more.

Just to clarify by large amount of precursors I mean instances like these,

One of the guildies put 4 staffs into the forge and got the legend, he put 8 shorbows in and got the pre for the dreamer. he got dusk and sunrise in a fractal run from veteran mobs (the SAME fractal run – Volcanic).

The other guildie got 2 pres out of the forge, inside of 15 minutes (with very little investment). and I see people in LA pulling a mad amount of pres from the forge.

When asked how long they have played and who many pres they have gotten it seems that people between 1 month and 8 months of play have gotten on average up to 6 precursors from the forge with an astonishing amount of regularity.

Precursors

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Just to clarify by large amount of precursors I mean instances like these,

One of the guildies put 4 staffs into the forge and got the legend, he put 8 shorbows in and got the pre for the dreamer. he got dusk and sunrise in a fractal run from veteran mobs (the SAME fractal run – Volcanic).

The other guildie got 2 pres out of the forge, inside of 15 minutes (with very little investment). and I see people in LA pulling a mad amount of pres from the forge.

When asked how long they have played and who many pres they have gotten it seems that people between 1 month and 8 months of play have gotten on average up to 6 precursors from the forge with an astonishing amount of regularity.

That’s the nature of rng. A few players will have awesome luck. A few players will have rotten luck. Most players will have average luck.

Your guildmates have awesome luck right now. That could change instantly.

Precursors

SolitaryPillarist.5740

Seera.5916

I agree with you and I am super happy for their luck. However I am seeing high numbers of people in LA at the forge with similar stories. I admit it is possible that I am just seeing a very high number of successful and extremely lucky people but I have been watching this over the last several months and what I am thinking is that perhaps ANET ought to take a look at the system and make sure that it isnt unfairly rewarding players for being “new” over the rest of the players in the game. I think it is a valid request with the amount of bugs and broken things in the game when they “raised the frequency” of precursor drops (I may have misread that when I read about it months and months ago maybe something in the system is broken and needs to be either adjusted or fixed.

Precursors

Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I agree with you and I am super happy for their luck. However I am seeing high numbers of people in LA at the forge with similar stories. I admit it is possible that I am just seeing a very high number of successful and extremely lucky people but I have been watching this over the last several months and what I am thinking is that perhaps ANET ought to take a look at the system and make sure that it isnt unfairly rewarding players for being “new” over the rest of the players in the game. I think it is a valid request with the amount of bugs and broken things in the game when they “raised the frequency” of precursor drops (I may have misread that when I read about it months and months ago maybe something in the system is broken and needs to be either adjusted or fixed.

And how many players were there throwing in rares/exotics and not getting a precursor? How many times did those players try for a precursor in the forge?

Precursors

SolitaryPillarist.5740

Feel free to read above to the comment where I state that these players are getting multiple (upto 6) precursors for VERY LITTLE INVESTMENT in under 8 months of playing the game < operative statement.

Precursors

Seera.5916

Feel free to read above to the comment where I state that these players are getting multiple (upto 6) precursors for VERY LITTLE INVESTMENT in under 8 months of playing the game < operative statement.

That’s not specific numbers which ANet would need since anecdotal evidence is faulty at best (human nature here, even my anecdotal evidence would be faulty).

Nor does that statement answer my first question: how many other players were tossing in weapons and not getting precursors back.

Precursors

SolitaryPillarist.5740

Yes hence the reason I am on this forum asking ANET to look at the numbers and see if there is something odd with the number of instances I am experiencing this situation. I mean, maybe players are prevaricating maybe they are just exaggerating the numbers of their experience. But one thing I am sure of is that ANET can access the number of precursor drops in the game (or can get that number with relative ease) and see if there is something wrong with the system which might require fixing.

Precursors

Seera.5916

Yes hence the reason I am on this forum asking ANET to look at the numbers and see if there is something odd with the number of instances I am experiencing this situation. I mean, maybe players are prevaricating maybe they are just exaggerating the numbers of their experience. But one thing I am sure of is that ANET can access the number of precursor drops in the game (or can get that number with relative ease) and see if there is something wrong with the system which might require fixing.

ANet doesn’t have the resources to look at a drop table at players’ request. Or whenever someone thinks something is off they’ll run to the forums to ask, even if it isn’t.

The only time I know that ANet looked into drops for something when players said something was off was when a player had done tons of salvaging and had recorded the items salvaged and items gotten from the salvaging. And that was ecto salvage rates. Wasn’t enough data on its own to prove there was something wrong, just enough to prove their may be something wrong. And that was with concrete evidence.

You haven’t told me anything to make me think there may be something wrong.

Precursors

penelopehannibal.8947

How do you know every single one is telling the truth as well?

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Precursors

SolitaryPillarist.5740

Well you can nay-say all you like. But I bet this forum post now that it is started might have an impact regarding other players who notice similar circumstances going on. It is a start. I would like to thank you for your negative view of my experience and add that it is valid. I wish you all the luck in the world during your game time.

Precursors

SolitaryPillarist.5740

I have been in party with multiple new players who have had this happen. So when player equips something that just dropped for them it is hard to not see the evidence that they have said item.

However I stated above some players might be prevaricating or exaggerating their experience.

That said, I have come here to see if anyone else experiences witnessing the high level of these drops I am not asking ANET to give me free stuff I am not asking ANET to increase the drops but I am asking them to investigate this as an unfair advantage to new players would be uncool to loyal players who have been here for multiple years.

It isn’t hard to look at the numbers. It is well within their purview to know the numbers of precursors and how old are the accounts receiving a specific (higher)number of items.

Precursors

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

The likelihood that your guild mate is lying is greater than the likelihood of them getting that many precursors by an order of magnitude that is impolite to type.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Precursors

SolitaryPillarist.5740

The likelihood that your guild mate is lying is greater than the likelihood of them getting that many precursors by an order of magnitude that is impolite to type.

LoL you just called me a Liar very politely. good for you. I expected to be trolled by asking ANET to look at this.

Precursors

penelopehannibal.8947

I have been in party with multiple new players who have had this happen. So when player equips something that just dropped for them it is hard to not see the evidence that they have said item.

However I stated above some players might be prevaricating or exaggerating their experience.

That said, I have come here to see if anyone else experiences witnessing the high level of these drops I am not asking ANET to give me free stuff I am not asking ANET to increase the drops but I am asking them to investigate this as an unfair advantage to new players would be uncool to loyal players who have been here for multiple years.

It isn’t hard to look at the numbers. It is well within their purview to know the numbers of precursors and how old are the accounts receiving a specific (higher)number of items.

Well, I think looking at the amount of precursors on the Trading Post, and seeing the prices haven’t dropped dramatically gives me a good indication that there isn’t a rise of precursor drops in general.

But that said, even if it’s true that newer accounts are getting ‘better luck’ than older ones, this would be malpractice and I doubt ArenaNet would admit it. But I don’t think this myself, everyone’s clients are the same we’re all under one house, one rulebook.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Precursors

SolitaryPillarist.5740

Well, I think looking at the amount of precursors on the Trading Post, and seeing the prices haven’t dropped dramatically gives me a good indication that there isn’t a rise of precursor drops in general.

But that said, even if it’s true that newer accounts are getting ‘better luck’ than older ones, this would be malpractice and I doubt ArenaNet would admit it. But I don’t think this myself, everyone’s clients are the same we’re all under one house, one rulebook.

I never said the amount of precursor drops had risen. I said that it seems that newer accounts are getting an apparently more favorable amount of luck regarding precursor drops than older accounts.

Edit: I would like to add that I never stated that ANET was doing this purposefully which I agree would be malpractice of a sort, but that perhaps the system is broken or something in the code is giving these players an unfair amount of drops over other accounts.

(edited by SolitaryPillarist.5740)

Precursors

penelopehannibal.8947

I never said the amount of precursor drops had risen. I said that it seems that newer accounts are getting an apparently more favorable amount of luck regarding precursor drops than older accounts.

Edit: I would like to add that I never stated that ANET was doing this purposefully which I agree would be malpractice of a sort, but that perhaps the system is broken or something in the code is giving these players an unfair amount of drops over other accounts.

So what you mean is, of the total number of precursors that are being given by Zomorros, are there more and more of that share being given to newer players?

Then I’d guess at saying the answers is yes, but not because of some unfair broken code in the system, but mainly because the older players have probably already made their choice of legendaries, so are moving on to making other things, such as Legendary backpacks, spending in guild halls, doing new legendaries (which require the precursor crafting) instead.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Precursors

SolitaryPillarist.5740

So what you mean is, of the total number of precursors that are being given by Zomorros, are there more and more of that share being given to newer players?

Then I’d guess at saying the answers is yes, but not because of some unfair broken code in the system, but mainly because the older players have probably already made their choice of legendaries, so are moving on to making other things, such as Legendary backpacks, spending in guild halls, doing new legendaries (which require the precursor crafting) instead.

So you suggest that ANET made a conscious decision to alienate all the older players that have never received not one precursor in the 3.5 years the game has been out? That’s a pretty messed up suggestion if you ask me.

Either that or are you suggestion that older players should take their accounts and sink tons and tons of gold into making precursors and that because of this system they don’t deserve precursor drops?

For me, I would like to see one precursor drop before they force me to use a system that is built to cost me more gold because I am an older, more loyal player who has played this game pretty much since release.

I see your point but I disagree. I think that drops for older players should remain the same as drops for newer players. yet I see more newer players receiving special treatment (more fruitful success at obtaining precursors the free way) and not being forced to use the spend all the gold in the game new system.

Precursors

penelopehannibal.8947

So you suggest that ANET made a conscious decision to alienate all the older players that have never received not one precursor in the 3.5 years the game has been out? That’s a pretty messed up suggestion if you ask me.

Either that or are you suggestion that older players should take their accounts and sink tons and tons of gold into making precursors and that because of this system they don’t deserve precursor drops?

For me, I would like to see one precursor drop before they force me to use a system that is built to cost me more gold because I am an older, more loyal player who has played this game pretty much since release.

I see your point but I disagree. I think that drops for older players should remain the same as drops for newer players. yet I see more newer players receiving special treatment (more fruitful success at obtaining precursors the free way) and not being forced to use the spend all the gold in the game new system.

I think you’ve mis-understood what I said. I haven’t suggested in the slightest ArenaNet are making a conscious decision to alienate older players. I’m suggesting the exact opposite.

I’m suggesting there might be fewer of the older players trying to create precursors, due to already having made a few legendaries over the years. The drops for an older player are still equal to the drop for a newer player, I’m saying the total share of the precursors dropped can go to newer players.

For example, if Zomorrow drops 1,000 tomorrow, 800 of them might be accounts under 1 year, 200 over 1 year, based on fewer older accounts actually trying. That’s what I’m trying to theorise. Of course, I could be wrong, but I’m only coming to this theory based solely on your conclusion that more new players are linking precursors than old ones.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Precursors

SolitaryPillarist.5740

I think you’ve mis-understood what I said. I haven’t suggested in the slightest ArenaNet are making a conscious decision to alienate older players. I’m suggesting the exact opposite.

I’m suggesting there might be fewer of the older players trying to create precursors, due to already having made a few legendaries over the years. The drops for an older player are still equal to the drop for a newer player, I’m saying the total share of the precursors dropped can go to newer players.

For example, if Zomorrow drops 1,000 tomorrow, 800 of them might be accounts under 1 year, 200 over 1 year, based on fewer older accounts actually trying. That’s what I’m trying to theorise. Of course, I could be wrong, but I’m only coming to this theory based solely on your conclusion that more new players are linking precursors than old ones.

Apologies for the misunderstanding.

You may be right but it would be good to know that I have a lesser chance for obtaining a precursor because my account is older. I suppose that is their way to get people to buy the game more often. Kind of messed up still if you ask me I would like to see a Dev weigh in on this matter because it would be nice to know if that is true. If it does happen to be true I would refuse to use the precursor crafting system at all because it is unfair treatment considering older accounts that have never had a precursor drop are being kind of overlooked and then sort of spit upon by ANET in forcing us to spend almost more than double the cost of just buying the precursor.

Precursors

Seera.5916

You may be right but it would be good to know that I have a lesser chance for obtaining a precursor because my account is older. I suppose that is their way to get people to buy the game more often. Kind of messed up still if you ask me I would like to see a Dev weigh in on this matter because it would be nice to know if that is true. If it does happen to be true I would refuse to use the precursor crafting system at all because it is unfair treatment considering older accounts that have never had a precursor drop are being kind of overlooked and then sort of spit upon by ANET in forcing us to spend almost more than double the cost of just buying the precursor.

They’ve said in the past that there is nothing in a person’s account that is looked at for RNG. Therefore, there is no way for the RNG loot tables to know if an account is a newer account or an older account.

Precursors

SolitaryPillarist.5740

They’ve said in the past that there is nothing in a person’s account that is looked at for RNG. Therefore, there is no way for the RNG loot tables to know if an account is a newer account or an older account.

This is helpful information can you provide a source for me please?

Precursors

Seera.5916

This is helpful information can you provide a source for me please?

Here are a few sources:

There isn’t such thing is some accounts getting stuck lucky. Yes there’s an RNG, yes it’s random and there are streaks and outliers and an even aggregate distribution.

There isn’t such thing is some accounts getting stuck lucky. Yes there’s an RNG, yes it’s random and there are streaks and outliers and an even aggregate distribution.

Can you confirm whether it is an RNG that uses some sort of value from the user’s account or whether it is purely random/session based? I have a friend who swears that smack-talking an anet dev during a beta weekend pvp match doomed his account to poor rng for life.

Absolutely it does not use anything to do with a user.

Here’s the premise. RNG is evenly distributed on aggregate. On an individual level this means that while almost everyone falls into a reasonable range in the middle, there are outliers on each side of the distribution that are either highly rewarded or not rewarded at all. These individuals become sample cases and spotlights for experiences that maybe shouldn’t exist.

Precursors

SolitaryPillarist.5740

How annoying. Guess that means my account blows @#$%s Thanks for the information. I am finished.

Precursors

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

No more than all the others that have posted (and not posted), that haven’t received a precursor and have had accounts for years.

My Guildie has never had one drop, and has been here since pre-launch. I’ve had one drop, but it was years ago. /shrug

Of course, we don’t really play the Mystic Forge game, other than throwing assorted Rares in when we receive them occasionally, but never 4 of the same item.

It’s just luck…I’ve never won the lottery, either.

Precursors

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

LoL you just called me a Liar very politely. good for you. I expected to be trolled by asking ANET to look at this.

To clarify, I am not calling you a liar (politely or otherwise). I believe that you are here because someone lied to you (nearly all precursors share a skin with a much, much cheaper weapon which someone could use to trick their friends into thinking they are getting amazing drops).

Server: Devona’s Rest