in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

System Specs:

CPU: i5 6600k OC 4.7GHZ
GPU: r9 390x
RAM: 16 gb
Latest drivers from AMD.

Usually I wouldn’t ask such a question, but before I reinstalled my Windows on SSD, when I was playing GW2, I was getting rather poor frame rate – it would fluctuate between 30-55 FPS in LA and large scale open world events were unbearable.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Preferable Graphic Settings?

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Unfortunately, single core CPU performance is the limiting factor in super-busy areas; the best settings to change to influence that are shadows, and the number of character models shown.

(GW2 uses three cores well, it’s just that if you eliminate every other thing that slows it down, that single thread managing character models is what is the final choke-point.)

At the end of the day, depending on what you mean by “unbearable”, that’s not uncommon.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Could someone post their Graphic settings? In LA, people said they’re getting much better FPS than me on lower spec computers. I can’t figure out why my performance is so low.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

is a good guide.
I usually run something like this. For the most part character model limit/quality, shadows, and reflections are the settings that really matter. Also you can turn on postprocessing if you want; I just don’t like it. World bosses are generally going to result in poor performance no matter what.

Attachments:

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Pug.9784

Pug.9784

AllI can say is
RESHADE
Great, and free, program that has upped the framerate, improved visuals and my fan does not cut in anywhere near as much…
Asus N550 – i54200 – GT745 16gb with nearly 6 hours a day average on GW2 for the last 2 years useage.
And in answer to the obvious comment… Real life is overated :-)

Posted by: moonstarmac.4603

moonstarmac.4603

If all you want are FPS…Low everything > Everything but Effect LOD unchecked. The game will look like crap compared to what it can look like, but you will get higher FPS.

As for getting 30-55 in LA and big events…that’s good. Granted I can pull 20-30 FPS in most events, down to 5-10 in World Boss events, so I can say those numbers are much better than many players get.

Jade Council~ Jade Sea Haven [JADE]
System – Luna One: R-Matrix
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Ny4qqs

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Lower settings in general will be better performance yes, but I think if your computer relatively recent (maybe 5 years?) then you will end up turning down settings for little or no benefit. Things like shaders and animation will not gain much fps by turning them down but things look a lot worse if you have them to low. I would. Textures should go as high as possible.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.