Problem with party and communication software

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Shrelana.2368

Shrelana.2368

When in a party, I can be standing ON TOP of my husband on his toon, and he is NOT there. Either we can see each other’s blue dots, and be invisible, or see each other and be showing as not in a party. At first we were thinking different layers, but we’ll get to where we can see each other and our dots, and move 10 to 15 paces from each other, then GONE.

Secondly, any time I try to use any type of communication soft ware – for example, Ventrillo or Team Speak, the game loses all graphics and becomes something I wouldn’t waste $5 let alone the $40 I spent on this POS.

I bought this game to play with my husband, and currently feel I’m wasting my money.

Seriously?! Is there anyone else experiencing these issues? How did you/are you making the game work?

Posted by: Rainshine.5493

Rainshine.5493

I am not experiencing these issues, nor is anyone I know. This sounds like it belongs in the Tech Support area. Be sure to list your system specs.

Ruse Torrent (elementalist) on JQ
trixnotes tumblr: quick hits of lore | personal tumblr (some other GW2 stuff)

Posted by: Natzapo.2639

Natzapo.2639

For the issue with your husband’s toon, try right clicking his portrait in the party list. There should be an option to join him in whatever zone he’s in, likely he’s in a different overflow than you are. Early on there were some issues with this not working as intended, but I haven’t had any problems for nearly a week.

So far as the issue with using Vent/TS/Skype while playing causing issues, I haven’t
heard of anything like that. What are your specs? His? Are you both having this issue? What voice software are you using? Have you tried others? (skype, mumble etc.)

Shrelana.2368

For the issue with your husband’s toon, try right clicking his portrait in the party list. There should be an option to join him in whatever zone he’s in, likely he’s in a different overflow than you are. Early on there were some issues with this not working as intended, but I haven’t had any problems for nearly a week.

So far as the issue with using Vent/TS/Skype while playing causing issues, I haven’t
heard of anything like that. What are your specs? His? Are you both having this issue? What voice software are you using? Have you tried others? (skype, mumble etc.)

To respond to your first query (using the “join” option) neither of us ever get that option when right clicking.

For the voice issue – Ventrillo is constantly stuck in open talking – doesn’t let me use push to talk (specific to THIS game only), and team speak is the communication which my guild is using and this causes my graphics to go all hay wire….

I’m using a NVIDIA GeForce 560 Ti, am upgrading the drivers for this pretty much DAILY since starting this game – had not needed to do this for a long time before.

How do you contact tech support? Every time I try to contact support – all I can find is an option to get a refund….and this is the only thing I can get access to. I really don’t want to do this if I can get this actually working, but at the same time, my husband and I bought this to play together…and currently, it takes us close to an hour to get ourselves in a party together….we only spend about an hour or so playing a night…by the time we get in a party, I’m so frustrated that it’s not fun any more

Posted by: Rainshine.5493

Rainshine.5493

There’s a sticky in the tech support forums titled "How to Submit a Technical Support Ticket here

Ruse Torrent (elementalist) on JQ
trixnotes tumblr: quick hits of lore | personal tumblr (some other GW2 stuff)

Posted by: Rhidian.6470

Rhidian.6470

Give it 2-3 weeks for a good number of bugs to be squashed out. Each and every single online game always launches with some bugs, and GW2 is no exception.

Posted by: Rocksors.7830

Rocksors.7830

1. Close vent
2. Right click vent icon, ‘run as administrator’
3. Enable push to talk in settings.

Isle Of Janthir [AR]
Rocksors: 80 Guardian, Althalus: 80 Thief, Birigitte: 80 Ranger, Roacsors: 80 Warrior

Posted by: nysta.6713

nysta.6713

actually, i’ve been surprised by the lack of any really irritating or silly bugs. i’m quite happy with this launch in comparison to many others. even the first week was awesome, without that grinding halt of graphics due to too many people being around like you get in most other games on launch.

this was great.

add to that the communication has been overwhelming in comparison. i’m loving the yellow notices which pop up. especially the ones which say “we’re tinkering with the server right now, you may experience some connection issues.” seriously, i love that. it means when i do get kicked and have to log back in, i’m not irritated, because i was expecting it. and then they tell you when they’re done! awesome, in my opinion.

how many other games would tell you they’re tinkering? how many would just take the game offline instead? and how many would pretend you weren’t even worth the time to tell when it was over? come on. for a game we’re not paying a sub for, that level of cool is hard to find.

i hope other games pay attention to this launch.

Shrelana.2368

1. Close vent
2. Right click vent icon, ‘run as administrator’
3. Enable push to talk in settings.

Actually, I tried this….still has the issue.

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

The events in the later zones are pretty broken, seems like someone didn’t adequately test the later content. Tsk tsk.

Posted by: Reevax.2510

Reevax.2510

When in a party, I can be standing ON TOP of my husband on his toon, and he is NOT there. Either we can see each other’s blue dots, and be invisible, or see each other and be showing as not in a party. At first we were thinking different layers, but we’ll get to where we can see each other and our dots, and move 10 to 15 paces from each other, then GONE.

Secondly, any time I try to use any type of communication soft ware – for example, Ventrillo or Team Speak, the game loses all graphics and becomes something I wouldn’t waste $5 let alone the $40 I spent on this POS.

I bought this game to play with my husband, and currently feel I’m wasting my money.

Seriously?! Is there anyone else experiencing these issues? How did you/are you making the game work?

Thats not a bug, you are not on the same server

Why make such an insulting post calling the game a POS when in fact this is 100% user error.

Posted by: Jakula.1072

Jakula.1072

Every set of patch notes they have released seem to have contained fixes for various issues.

I have not heard of the vent problem you are having, however my guild and I use mumble and it works prefectly, in any case your vent problems really don’t have alot to do with the game and even if it does you can’t expect the developers to test thier software with every bit of third party software that is on the market. Is you version of vent/ts the latest version? It might be something worth exploring.

Also as already mentioned not being able to see your husband sounds like your on different overflow servers.

Jakula – 80 Ranger [Phaxx]
Isles of Janthir

Posted by: Raedwulf.3712

Raedwulf.3712

Thats not a bug, you are not on the same server

Why make such an insulting post calling the game a POS when in fact this is 100% user error.

Why make such an insulting assumption? It’s extraordinarily unlikely that a husband & wife have wound up on different servers. I don’t think it’s even very likely that this problem is because they’re in different overflows.

It sounds to me as if this may be a hardware based problem. There are an infinity of possible combinations of kit, and sometimes problems can occur as a result. The OPs specific symptoms make me wonder whether this is an issue. First of all, yes Anet did a great deal of testing, ran the BWEs, and ironed out a huge swath of bugs. This is possibly the best out-of-the-box release I’ve ever come across in the modern PC gaming world. I realise you’re frustrated, but try not to be unfair on them!

Are all of your drivers up to date? That’d be the first thing I’d want to check. Personally, I’ve had no problems with the game (I use TS3, rather than Vent), but a guildmate crashes if he tabs out. That’s a perfect example of a bug that is almost certainly down to the PC, since it’s not universal. Hopefully, you’ve managed to get a support ticket opened; give them as much technical spec as you can and I’m sure they’ll manage to work out what’s going on (if drivers don’t fix it, anyway!).

Guild Leader, The White Company, Piken Square

Posted by: Zen.1740

Zen.1740

“It’s YOUR fault that the game doesn’t work!”
“Leave ArenaNet ALONE!”
- Areanadrone, 2012

As for you, OP, I agree with you, Ascalon Catacombs is almost entirely unplayable with the large amount of overflow shards causing problems. People can arbitrarily get in even though no one is in an overflow shard when they enter, they get put inside one. There are even basic element bugs as you progress through the game. Hell, there are missing skill points in Orr at last check.

Let’s be honest here, this game was released in a beta state and now they are rushing around to stop people from leaving in droves because this is just another SW:TOR. Only this time, 2 million~ people gave them money 6 months before the game even released, and ArenaNet has absolutely no obligation to release the best game possible because of it.

Also, why does a 2012 AAA MMO not have any trading? Does this seriously not annoy anyone else? It’s laughable and pathetic at the same time.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2,
no one enjoys that, no one finds it fun.” – Colin Johanson
R.I.P. in piece, Guild Wars 2, August 2012 – September 2012

Posted by: LankyBM.3582

LankyBM.3582

I have had this problem every now again, usually when traveling with a party to a location that’s far away from the start point – I have found that waiting for the overflow travel popup to happen, then traveling, resolved the problem – I think it really is just being in two different overflows.

way to get around it – travel small distances within the same region / not highly populated areas. Or just take the long haul and walk!

Posted by: darknessproz.8209

darknessproz.8209

Also, why does a 2012 AAA MMO not have any trading? Does this seriously not annoy anyone else? It’s laughable and pathetic at the same time.

Has it EVER occurred to you that it was a design decision?