Problems with the Mac version

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: JarnGreipr.3509

JarnGreipr.3509

Hello, I downloaded the Mac version of the game and everything worked fin until the computer stared to shut down on itself because a problem accured. This started happening after I downloaded GW2. Idk why it does this, but this only happened after I downloaded GW2 on my computer. Please check the Mac version to see if there are more problems like this.

Posted by: SilentSnowdrop.1368

SilentSnowdrop.1368

I believe I am having a similar problem—it’s occurring with around 8000 files to go. I have a ticket open and have mentioned it there, but I figured adding an extra note here would help too.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

It’s worth noting that your computer shutting down because “a problem occurred” is something that GW2 might trigger, but it is absolutely, without question, a problem with your computer.

Basically, if anything poked at your OS and/or hardware in that way, it would crash. GW2 just happens to be the unlucky thing that pokes it wrong, and boom, the problem shows up.

Hardware issues are a common cause, and over in Windows land mismatched drivers, but the later isn’t a macOS thing unless you are running some sort of hackintosh or whatevs.

So, I’d suggest:

• reinstall macOS using the recover system. will not harm configuration, but may fix issue.
    * remove any uncommon drivers you may have hand-installed on the system.
    * try disabling your anti-virus software, see if it reoccurrs, if not, turn it back on, try again
    * look into hardware issue.

good luck.

Posted by: xellink.7568

xellink.7568

It’s worth noting that your computer shutting down because “a problem occurred” is something that GW2 might trigger, but it is absolutely, without question, a problem with your computer.

Basically, if anything poked at your OS and/or hardware in that way, it would crash. GW2 just happens to be the unlucky thing that pokes it wrong, and boom, the problem shows up.

Hardware issues are a common cause, and over in Windows land mismatched drivers, but the later isn’t a macOS thing unless you are running some sort of hackintosh or whatevs.

So, I’d suggest:

• reinstall macOS using the recover system. will not harm configuration, but may fix issue.
    * remove any uncommon drivers you may have hand-installed on the system.
    * try disabling your anti-virus software, see if it reoccurrs, if not, turn it back on, try again
    * look into hardware issue.

good luck.

Running El Capitan. No issues with other high end games but the Mac version of guild wars causes Mac to restart. Not just the program that crashes but a full restart.

SlippyCheeze.5483

Yeah, if your entire OS restarts, that’s a sign that the OS is having some trouble.

It could be that GW2 is the only thing that pokes whatever bit of the system causes restarts, but that doesn’t mean GW2 is doing anything wrong, just that it happens to do something obscure that is normally fine … but breaks on your system.

xellink.7568

Yeah, if your entire OS restarts, that’s a sign that the OS is having some trouble.

It could be that GW2 is the only thing that pokes whatever bit of the system causes restarts, but that doesn’t mean GW2 is doing anything wrong, just that it happens to do something obscure that is normally fine … but breaks on your system.

I have tested GW2 on WINE on Linux and Mac. When run in a ‘virtual desktop’ (this is not VM, this is a mode on WINE) which is set to the same resolution of the native screen, when the game crashes, only the virtual desktop crashes, not the entire desktop. This is not a Mac issue, it is a wine issue when running 32 bit programs in full screen that are memory intensive.

By setting the wine wrapper to use virtual desktop, there should be no decrease in performance whilst preventing the entire system from crashing. Anet should consider this in their next Mac Beta build but I believe a native client is severely lacking and should be prioritised.

SlippyCheeze.5483

ANet use cider, which isn’t wine, though it is similar, in their current beta mac client. Sadly, since cider is literally a dead commercial tech, that’s probably part of why the change to building a new mac client happened — but also, nothing is gonna change in the current one.

Posted by: gajalu.8965

gajalu.8965

Chiming in on this. Got rid of my bootcamp partition because GW2 was the only thing I used it for after finishing University.

Tried to install GW2 on my Mac partition today to see if anything changed at all.

Yes, something did indeed change but not for the better, sadly. I can’t even finish the download because the kitten launcher keeps RESTARTING MY ENTIRE MACHINE WITHOUT ASKING.

Been a Mac user for over 10 years now and this is literally the first and only time something like this ever happened. I’m not going to let anybody tell me that something is wrong with my OS when it’s clearly this disgusting pile of steaming kitten ANet calls their Mac client.

They better get their new native Mac client shipped sooner rather than later but I assume they will use it as a marketing tool with the new xpac because they don’t give a kitten about how their Mac player base actually feels.

SlippyCheeze.5483

FWIW: if an application can cause your OS to restart without asking you, that’s an OS bug. Sure, something the app is doing might be causing it, but … the OS is supposed to, y’know, not do that, so clearly whatever the app does is triggering some OS or kernel bug leading to this.

So, I’d suggest trying a reinstall of macOS over the top of your existing install, and/or removing any third party kexts, either of which may resolve the bug in the kernel that allows that to happen.

xellink.7568

FWIW: if an application can cause your OS to restart without asking you, that’s an OS bug. Sure, something the app is doing might be causing it, but … the OS is supposed to, y’know, not do that, so clearly whatever the app does is triggering some OS or kernel bug leading to this.

So, I’d suggest trying a reinstall of macOS over the top of your existing install, and/or removing any third party kexts, either of which may resolve the bug in the kernel that allows that to happen.

I disagree. A fresh install for mac will lead to the same result. The fact that the problem can be contained within a virtual window and occurs on both linux distributions and Mac shows that it is not an OS issue. The issue is also replicable on other software and hence WINE developers created the virtual desktop setting to contain such issues.

WINE is not an emulator. It is a compatibility layer that adds missing elements of a certain operating system to trick the software that it is running on windows. To do this, WINE requires access to the drivers and hardware and in full screen mode, takes control of the desktop. That is why alternate tabbing does not work very well on WINE software. If one is able to access the commandline, a lot of bug testers will tell you how important the command “wineserver -k” is when trying to terminate software that prevent you from getting out of the software. However, that is only relevant if you constantly have access to the command line, such as in Linux. Mac users do not. Setting the mac to restart in this case is the most logical solution for Apple. Hence it is not a bug, but a feature and a safeguard against unsupported software.

Also, Cider is a wrapper for WINE. Try wrapping your own software and you will understand it is the same thing. WINE is the base and for those with knowledge on how to tweak it, it allows better performance. Wineapps is a database of configuration that works for certain software. Cider extracts information from that database and creates its own wrapper. I can understand why Cider does not use virtual desktop. It takes away from the native experience and the need to state the screen resolution before loading the game.

SlippyCheeze.5483

I disagree. A fresh install for mac will lead to the same result. The fact that the problem can be contained within a virtual window and occurs on both linux distributions and Mac shows that it is not an OS issue. The issue is also replicable on other software and hence WINE developers created the virtual desktop setting to contain such issues.

WINE is not an emulator. It is a compatibility layer that adds missing elements of a certain operating system to trick the software that it is running on windows. To do this, WINE requires access to the drivers and hardware and in full screen mode, takes control of the desktop. That is why alternate tabbing does not work very well on WINE software. If one is able to access the commandline, a lot of bug testers will tell you how important the command “wineserver -k” is when trying to terminate software that prevent you from getting out of the software. However, that is only relevant if you constantly have access to the command line, such as in Linux. Mac users do not. Setting the mac to restart in this case is the most logical solution for Apple. Hence it is not a bug, but a feature and a safeguard against unsupported software.

Also, Cider is a wrapper for WINE. Try wrapping your own software and you will understand it is the same thing. WINE is the base and for those with knowledge on how to tweak it, it allows better performance. Wineapps is a database of configuration that works for certain software. Cider extracts information from that database and creates its own wrapper. I can understand why Cider does not use virtual desktop. It takes away from the native experience and the need to state the screen resolution before loading the game.

WINE is a user mode wrapper around the windows application — it doesn’t contain, or require, any kernel mode support. (At least, it didn’t six months ago, last time I looked; if the 2.0 release and/or macOS support for 64-bit applications changes that, I’d be fairly surprised, but it’s not impossible.)

Anyway, one of the core promises of modern operating systems — Windows NT, Linux, macOS — is that a user mode application shouldn’t be able to bypass protections of the system.

That includes things like rebooting the computer, since that is a protected function. So … somehow, GW2 via cider is managing to bypass that protection that the kernel should be able to apply.

Which suggests that it is managing to trigger some sort of bug within the kernel, such as in the graphics driver or some other kext, leading to a kernel crash — or, possibly, just a crash within the WindowServer process, killing all the gui, though that usually just restarts to the login screen.

eg: you are not technically wrong about how the client, cider, etc, work, but it should not be possible to reboot the computer without, y’know, the user permitting it via any of those things.

xellink.7568

WINE is a user mode wrapper around the windows application — it doesn’t contain, or require, any kernel mode support. (At least, it didn’t six months ago, last time I looked; if the 2.0 release and/or macOS support for 64-bit applications changes that, I’d be fairly surprised, but it’s not impossible.)

Anyway, one of the core promises of modern operating systems — Windows NT, Linux, macOS — is that a user mode application shouldn’t be able to bypass protections of the system.

That includes things like rebooting the computer, since that is a protected function. So … somehow, GW2 via cider is managing to bypass that protection that the kernel should be able to apply.

Which suggests that it is managing to trigger some sort of bug within the kernel, such as in the graphics driver or some other kext, leading to a kernel crash — or, possibly, just a crash within the WindowServer process, killing all the gui, though that usually just restarts to the login screen.

eg: you are not technically wrong about how the client, cider, etc, work, but it should not be possible to reboot the computer without, y’know, the user permitting it via any of those things.

Mac is always underclocked. When it detects overclocking, it will assume hardware failure, display a message (bsod but with cooler Mac bling). Certain things can poke it to display that message. Overheating for example. In linux, you lose control of the desktop but there are work arounds, for example opening another x server session. Mac is unable to do so, instead a display appears and forces a controlled shutdown. You know it’s a controlled shutdown because a friendly message appears stating its intention and explaining that it needs to shut down.

I assume it is driver issues that leads to overclocking that leads to a forced shutdown. However, the drivers are propriety so we will never really know what the true problem is. Just my attempt at an intelligent guess. I believe Direct3D allows a software to communicate with the graphics card directly.. You could do the same when you run games with both open gl and direct3d mode. Elder scrolls online for example. Although you can no longer test it as they have removed open gl from the windows version around last year.

SlippyCheeze.5483

Even if Direct3D permitted direct communication with the hardware, WINE is emulating it, and under the kernel restrictions that macOS provides. (eg: it probably just ignores those “poke the hardware” requests.)

IIRC, it also translates from Direct3D to OpenGL along the way, but don’t quote me on that one.

Anyway, yeah, point is: trying the macOS reinstall over the top can’t hurt, and might help, so I’d strongly suggest doing it if you get a restart of the entire system. If that doesn’t work, talking to Apple about getting the hardware checked is likely a viable step.

xellink.7568

Even if Direct3D permitted direct communication with the hardware, WINE is emulating it, and under the kernel restrictions that macOS provides. (eg: it probably just ignores those “poke the hardware” requests.)

IIRC, it also translates from Direct3D to OpenGL along the way, but don’t quote me on that one.

Anyway, yeah, point is: trying the macOS reinstall over the top can’t hurt, and might help, so I’d strongly suggest doing it if you get a restart of the entire system. If that doesn’t work, talking to Apple about getting the hardware checked is likely a viable step.

WINE is not an emulator, its a compatibility layer that allows windows functions by using certain window’s files, which then allows hardware acceleration by Direct3D. Wine uses Direct3d functions directly, then converts that to opengl by WGL, hence the need to import windows DLL from another computer when native DLLs are required.

When we look at documentation, the drivers are not different when it comes to funtionality between different OSes of the same version number. Unfortunately, as it is propriety for many GPU manufacturers, we can’t probe further. However, if Direct3D is used for hardware acceleration, we can assume WINE will be able to do the same thing through the windows DLLs.

What we do know is that the software causes the x-server to crash in linux. You can start a new x-server easily. In Mac, there is no x-server but I presume there is an equivalent due to similarities between the two operating systems. Again Mac OS is propriety, and its handling of desktop crashes is to provide a message and forced a control reboot. This message happens when you try to overclock the GPU too.

A kernel panic message is so vague we don’t really know if its the problem with the kernel or hardware. Since linux faces the same problem with X-server, I would assume an x-server crash or equivalent.

SlippyCheeze.5483

WINE is not an emulator, its a compatibility layer that allows windows functions by using certain window’s files, which then allows hardware acceleration by Direct3D. Wine uses Direct3d functions directly, then converts that to opengl by WGL, hence the need to import windows DLL from another computer when native DLLs are required.

The parts that interface with the hardware are not the “native” direct3d parts, it’s all the layers of helpers and tooling that sit on top you are thinking of. Most of those are just libraries of common graphics operations.

Down at the heart of it, it’s just another native macOS 3D application, using the API (OpenGL, in this case) that macOS provides. Nothing special or advanced happens because it uses some user-space 3D libraries written for Windows, by Microsoft.

When we look at documentation, the drivers are not different when it comes to funtionality between different OSes of the same version number. Unfortunately, as it is propriety for many GPU manufacturers, we can’t probe further. However, if Direct3D is used for hardware acceleration, we can assume WINE will be able to do the same thing through the windows DLLs.

Pretty much every sentence here is wrong. The most important part is that the direct3d DLLs do not talk directly to the hardware on macOS (or Linux), they communicate with the WINE supplied “hardware” layer, which is built on OpenGL.

sigh I don’t even know what you are trying to argue any more, and you seem sufficiently invulnerable to facts that I’m done.

For anyone reading along at home, if you are having your macOS machine restart when running GW2, try a reinstall over the top, and/or removing third party kexts. This is not normal behavior, and it means that GW2 has managed to trigger a kernel bug, probably in the graphics driver.

It may or may not resolve your problem, but it definitely won’t make it worse. You should also consider that if it is not resolved that way, hardware problems are a candidate for the root cause, and if you have applecare, get the hardware checked out by them.

xellink.7568

The parts that interface with the hardware are not the “native” direct3d parts, it’s all the layers of helpers and tooling that sit on top you are thinking of. Most of those are just libraries of common graphics operations.

Down at the heart of it, it’s just another native macOS 3D application, using the API (OpenGL, in this case) that macOS provides. Nothing special or advanced happens because it uses some user-space 3D libraries written for Windows, by Microsoft.

Pretty much every sentence here is wrong. The most important part is that the direct3d DLLs do not talk directly to the hardware on macOS (or Linux), they communicate with the WINE supplied “hardware” layer, which is built on OpenGL.

sigh I don’t even know what you are trying to argue any more, and you seem sufficiently invulnerable to facts that I’m done.

For anyone reading along at home, if you are having your macOS machine restart when running GW2, try a reinstall over the top, and/or removing third party kexts. This is not normal behavior, and it means that GW2 has managed to trigger a kernel bug, probably in the graphics driver.

It may or may not resolve your problem, but it definitely won’t make it worse. You should also consider that if it is not resolved that way, hardware problems are a candidate for the root cause, and if you have applecare, get the hardware checked out by them.

I am telling you that your advice is wrong. Having tested on multiple machines and reinstallations, the bug is reproducible. Virtual desktop is the bug fix. However this bug fix is not inplenmented by cider or transgaming. If you want to fix it, you have to configure wine yourself. If you read the comments section in the wine appdb, many testers have advices players to set that setting to on. Your advice is a waste of time and undermines all the effort wine testers have contributed to running the game on gw2.

And if you doubt that wine can use direct 3D directly, you may read up on gallium nine. You can search xellink gallium nine. It’s the most comprehensive tutorial you can find on the internet although I wrote it in 2014. I still receive multiple linkbacks from various forums regarding its use.

(edited by xellink.7568)