Purchase HoT Results in Account Suspension?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Mordliss.4270

Mordliss.4270

So I have a account with a Guild Wars 2 serial number from when the game first released, I recently got my wife to download the Free to Play version, and she really enjoyed it. Since then, we both decided to upgrade/purchase Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns.

We ordered HoT via THE GUILD WARS 2 WEBSITE and input all my CC information in, address, etc. (You know, like every adult knows how to do in their sleep because we charge things so often online). Both of these orders were placed on 9/19. On 9/20 both my wife and I received an email stated that our Refund Request has been granted and both GW2 HoT purchases have been refunded as requested…. except neither of us requested this.

No big deal, right? I will just email support and get it taken care of, since the only two days my wife and I have off are 9/22 and 9/23 and we were looking forward to starting new characters and diving into this game together…. I send an email specifically advising of the issue, and that I am sending the issue preemptively in order to avoid both accounts being suspended for account issues on 9/21.

My wife and I wake up this morning and go to log on, and low and behold, both accounts are now suspended for account issues and now we are waiting for support to respond back to us…

I don’t understand what the issue is with this company…. these account issues have already been posted and “apparently” addressed… except they keep happening….

EDIT: Adding the address of the forum post with this same thing happening;
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/My-account-is-suspended-via-HoT-purchase

And to add my Ticket #: 1804835

The fact that is has taken some people 23 DAYS to have this situation ironed out is utterly disgusting.

(edited by Mordliss.4270)

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

Oh boy, and from the official website too. I still have to buy my copy of HoT. Looks like I could end up facing a bumpy ride as well.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Mordliss.4270

Oh boy, and from the official website too. I still have to buy my copy of HoT. Looks like I could end up facing a bumpy ride as well.

I would recommend holding off until they figure out how to accept customers money without creating gaps of suspension periods on their accounts.

Or, maybe the correct course of action in order to purchase games from ArenaNet is to send them a support ticket PRIOR to the purchase and ask for permission to give them money for their product, and if someone could specifically approve your transaction. Then you might want to ask for a date and time, specifically, to submit said transaction so they can manually approve it….

Since apparently my Discover Card which has been used successfully to make online purchases at Amazon, Gamestop, Best Buy, League of Legends, Blizzard, Smite, Play Station Store, Xbox Live Marketplace, and every other possible online retailer, doesn’t like ArenaNet’s payment system…………………………….

If the game wasn’t so much fun, WHEN YOUR ALLOWED TO PLAY, I would have left a long while ago…

Loli Ruri.8307

Well at least the customer support exists here. Sometimes you gotta bang your head a few times to get somebody to listen, but it does work. Just don’t like the idea of upto 3 weeks of waiting. I should be fine though, but if something does happen, I’m not going to break out in a sweat.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Easily avoidable by buying it through the website and waiting 3-7 days to apply the key.

There’s no risk if it gets refunded before you apply it.

Mordliss.4270

Easily avoidable by buying it through the website and waiting 3-7 days to apply the key.

This is the reason these issues don’t get corrected, because when people justify a broken system, it stays in place.

I shouldn’t have to wait 3-7 days to activate my purchase due to ArenaNet having an issue with auto-refunding purchases. ArenaNet should fix the problem on their end.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

They’ve said they are trying to work with their payment processor, Digital River, to eliminate, or, at least, reduce this issue. I don’t think ArenaNet is purposely trying to inconvenience a select few purchasers.

I didn’t have any problem purchasing the Ultimate Edition. I’m not sure why DR doesn’t seem to like some who do. /shrug

Loli Ruri.8307

Ah thanks for this information. But what happens if somebody uses a pre-paid MasterCard? You can’t refund credits back to those things.

Mordliss.4270

I got word from support that this requires further investigation and they would get back to me when they have completed the investigation. That was almost 4 hours ago… How long does it take to look at the account and realize it has done that same kitten thing that happened to EVERYONE ELSE that posted about having this exact same issue on the forum post that I linked….

Seriously this is the only game Company I have ever seen that doesn’t want to accept money …

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I got word from support that this requires further investigation and they would get back to me when they have completed the investigation. That was almost 4 hours ago… How long does it take to look at the account and realize it has done that same kitten thing that happened to EVERYONE ELSE that posted about having this exact same issue on the forum post that I linked….

Seriously this is the only game Company I have ever seen that doesn’t want to accept money …

Because they have to make sure your account isn’t an actual fradulent purchase and not a scammer trying to slip by due to the higher number of false positives. I’m not saying your purchases are fraudulent, but ANet has to make sure.

Mordliss.4270

They have since gotten back to me and advised that their purchase detection flagged my wife and I as fraudulent purchases, however after recovering my support ticket and investigating the matter further, it was found to be acceptable transactions… And this have removed both account suspensions.

I was advised I could repurchase new serial keys to add HoT to each account, which I will be doing, via Amazon.com.

Seera, I 100% agree that they certainly do need to take precautions for scams and fraudulent transactions, however, based on the countless amounts of digital games purchased by my wife and I, and the absence of any of this sort of suspended account or questionable fraudulent activity, I’d say that ArenaNet needs to seriously reconsider who they are using for digital purchase fullfilment or at least change the policy…

Enough ranting, glad my account is back to being mine, off to Amazon to purchase two keys!

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Ah thanks for this information. But what happens if somebody uses a pre-paid MasterCard? You can’t refund credits back to those things.

There shouldn’t be any problems like this, since support would reject the refund request. Personally, I would still wait ~3 days however since there’s no reason to rush at this time and I’d rather avoid the 0.001% chance of getting locked out of my account for ~1 week.

This is the reason these issues don’t get corrected, because when people justify a broken system, it stays in place.

Justification? No. Risk management. Even if their system was working flawlessly, your bank could see the transaction as suspicious and force a chargeback, which has happened in the past. Although these problems can be very rare, I’d still rather avoid them.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I shouldn’t have to wait 3-7 days to activate my purchase due to ArenaNet having an issue with auto-refunding purchases. ArenaNet should fix the problem on their end.

If people posting on the forums, either supporting or lamenting a design implementation or policy, is all it takes, I wonder why more things don’t change weekly, nay daily!

Posted by: DeadSurvivor.6157

DeadSurvivor.6157

Man, I Always Believed Purchases Are Flawlessly Processed … While In-Game Bugs Are On The Bucket List.

Guild Wars 2 News & Links
Guilds: [AoL]
( Swindle Rogue )