Q: Hacked account reset & password change

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Reptile.6583

Reptile.6583

Hi,
A friend of mine was recently hacked and lost all her Items / armor / gold.
I though she had been hacked, even before she told me, as she was logged in at a time when she would normally be sounds asleep (different time zones).
She sent in a tickets, and did get her account reset, BUT she logged in with her old password and found that she couldn’t change it. She sent in a ticket about that, but, in the mean time, the hacker struck again and she lost her stuff again. I don’t even think she had that much stuff. She mainly WvWs. I do know she had 4 set’s of exo armor- one T3 Human armor and another with Profain skin? (Gem armor).
She waiting till she could change her password, then asked for a reset now she can protect the account, but she is told that only one reset is allowed?

I think she is disheartened enough to stop playing.. and that would be a real shame in my eyes. Is there someway this can be reviewed?

(I am lacking some details.. but I’m just trying to help a friend in the game…)

Posted by: venicewei.5318

venicewei.5318

just today i found out that my accound was hacked, my accound was lock and when i unlock my accound, i log in the game and all my jams and gold was gone and the person who hacked me sell all my armor… ive been busy these days so i dont login much, last time i log in was find and it was 8/18th please i need help about my accound

Reptile.6583

You should create a support ticket. Anet a usually fairly fast at doing these things. Just make sure, if it’s reset, that you get the password changed at the same time.. if not before… then you shouldn’t find yourself in my friends position…

Posted by: SandraSolace.7682

SandraSolace.7682

As far as I know they only do one rollback after getting hacked.

Reptile.6583

I would have though, as part of a rollback, that they would have reset the password at the same time. It seems this didn’t happen, and the hackers took advantage of this.
If she had reset her password to her old one, I’d say, well.. bad choice, but as she could change it, and submitted a ticket about being unable to change… I’d think a rollback, now that she can protect her account would be warrented?

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

In cases of an account compromise, we absolutely do reset the password and send it to the player. That is part of the account restoration process. If someone is hacked a second time, there are far more serious issues going on than simply those related to a game account. Meaning, that this individual’s email account is most likely compromised and perhaps other things as well.

We will not restore an account a second time because at the point an account is re-hacked, we have no confidence that it will be secured, and we will not “feed” RMTs and account hackers by generating new items and currency for them to steal on a treadmill of hack/strip/restore/hack/strip…

I am sorry for your friend, but I certainly understand why the policy is what it is. And she should take steps to secure ALL her personal information.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet