Q6600 + GTX 570 = 14 fps without even many people around

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Antiriad.7160

Antiriad.7160

What’s up with that? Metro 2033 on Ultra settings runs super smooth, as expected from these system specs. But in GW2 I get like 14-18 fps although there are maybe just 10 people around me (idling on Lion’s Arch overflow a bit). (And I checked CPU load, it’s not maxed out or anything). According to a GW2 performance chart I saw somewhere I should be getting like 50-60 fps.

Another odd thing I noticed: Anti-aliasing doesn’t seem to work, my character in the character overview screen shows aliased diagonal lines, so the graphics don’t even look that great. I have installed the latest version of Nvidia drivers for the 500 series (and DX11). In general, my sys specs fulfil the recommended requirements of GW2.

Colin ‘The Liar’ Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on equal power base.”

(edited by Antiriad.7160)

Antiriad.7160

I ran a 3d-mark and I got a gfx score of 5374, which is pretty close to the expected average performance of GTX 570 cards which would be 5830 according to charts on futuremark.com. 3d-mark also actually confirmed that my system seems to be running fine. So it seems GW2 is somehow faulty? Why is it running at 1/4 of the expected performance, and why isn’t it antialiasing? o_O

Edit: If I turn my character around, I even drop as low as 10 fps…
Edit2: If I choose “best performance” and everything looks like minecraft, I get better fps, but can still drop down to as low as 22. xD
Edit3: PCI-e slot is running at 16x according to GPU-Z, so that’s fine.
Edit4: I followed the sticky instructions in this forum for nvidia cards, but it didn’t help. Except the game looks pretty bad now^^.

Colin ‘The Liar’ Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by 80 should have the

Posted by: Home Style.9640

Home Style.9640

A lot for people are having trouble with 5xx series cards. It’s the game not your system. If you haven’t noticed, there is a 1400 post thread floating around on. Here regarding fps. Anet just isn’t addressing any of these issues. You’re just going to have to wait for a fix like the rest of us.

Posted by: Sindarin.1095

Sindarin.1095

Nah, I have a GTX 570 HD card and with all settings maxed, I am usually running 90+ FPS. If I overclock my processor, I can push that to 130+ FPS.

I would venture to say that your processor is the problem here. It is fairly dated and discontinued now. As you can see from my over locking, GW2 is still extremely processor heavy.

I built a screaming system (at the time) for this game.

Core i7 2600K
Asus P8Z68 del/Gen 3 mobo
16 GB Ram
SSD

Even though ANET says you can use a mid line PC, it heeds to be more on the higher end.

If you can afford it definitely upgrade your mobo, processor and ram.

Antiriad.7160

Well, my cpu load isn’t even at 90% or anything, I measured it. It’s more like 65% or so. I guess it could happen though if GW2 makes poor utilization of Quadcore cpus AND had a badly optimized engine in general (come on it doesn’t look like it requires more than this CPU..for what?) :/
Anyway, my system exceeds the requirements by far while each single component on its own at least matches them or is better, so if that’s really the cause then I’m kitten off at Arenanet for lying there.. 10 fps when turning around is NOT “recommended requirement”!

Edit: Actually, it changes between running just at low fps and then having bad hiccups when I’m actually turning around by say 360°, where it really goes to like 2 fps or something, if that helps in any way..

Edit: I must correct my statements above: I got the “recomemnded specs” from a gaming site, so I naturally assumed that those were given by arenanet, but it seems that site just made it up, if arenanet actually hasnt released official reqs.

Posted by: Axiom.6490

Axiom.6490

I am sitting in the same boat and also use a q6600. But I overclocked it up to 3,0 GHz combined with a HD 6870 and 8 GB ram. The game runs in common PvE pretty smooth about 40+ fps. Nevertheless my frames drop really hard in great cities, large fights and while camera turning. WvW is nearly unplayable while running on 8 – 10 fps.

There need to be done many engine optimizations. At least I hope, taht Arena-Net is able to handle this.

PS:
- everything is up to date.
- Resolution: 1440 : 900.
- Settings: best Performance, excepting rendering (it`s on native)

Posted by: Sindarin.1095

Sindarin.1095

www.systemrequirementslab.com

This should tell you where your system needs improvement. (If anywhere) Other than what I listed that is all I can think of…

Maybe reinstall your O/S and have a fresh clean install old windows.

Posted by: Axiom.6490

Axiom.6490

www.systemrequirementslab.com

This should tell you where your system needs improvement. (If anywhere) Other than what I listed that is all I can think of…

Maybe reinstall your O/S and have a fresh clean install old windows.

This homepage won`t help anyone because they only have listed the minimum requirements Arena-Net published. There are tons of discussions about the meaning of “minimum requirements”. In the end it means you can barely start the game. And this will not help.

Until Arena-Net doesn`t announce recommended requirements your posted homepage only empowers unfullfilled wishes!

Antiriad.7160

Also, why is the game not antialiased and when I run towards a staircase the (thin) stairs flicker badly? I have everything on highest settings.. guys come on this was already much better in 2004 in HALF-LIFE 2

Edit: Graphics bug in wvw: Running up some slope suddenly erased the floor texture, which made it remotely look as if there was a giant canyon in front of me.
eww, and inside a keep some wooden upper floor also suddenly turned transparent in a similar situation..

Antiriad.7160

Well, I just had a look at CPU performance of an Ivy Bridge i5-3450, and it doesn’t look like its performance would explain a difference in frame rates of a factor 4, at most a factor of 2 maybe. Which is of course already not small. But yeah, maybe Arenanet should just release official requirement specs..

Posted by: Valkaneer.7834

Valkaneer.7834

I have been having lots of problems as well, I have a gtx 460 and a 9860 york OC to 3.4, I have 4 gb of ddr2 800 oc to 1600. If I stand still I’m alright, but soon as I turn or start moving I drop from 50 to under 30 fps. I can’t play till this gets fixed.

Posted by: zerk.9701

zerk.9701

Well, I just had a look at CPU performance of an Ivy Bridge i5-3450, and it doesn’t look like its performance would explain a difference in frame rates of a factor 4, at most a factor of 2 maybe. Which is of course already not small. But yeah, maybe Arenanet should just release official requirement specs..

Their a big change is speed over almost 6 years when your CPU was made maby it’s time to upgrade and the way your PC plays other games has nothing to do with this one.
A simple i3 2100 will perty much just stomp on the old chip you have in gaming.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html
And this game just loves to make people cry about their low performing CPU.

(edited by zerk.9701)

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

Q6600 @ 3.2 + GTX 660. GW2 isn’t optimized for quad core. It uses only about 2 core and 3rd core partially. Try disabling a core you will notice no fps drop. Im getting about 40-45fps Questing and 15fps in heavy fights. My cpu load is only 55% on avg. GPU load at 40%. Hopefully gw2 will be updated for optimization.

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

I honestly cant beleve how many people ‘game’ and dont even have the most basic understanding on PC components and how they work.

Just becouse your CPU utilization is not maxed does not mean it isnt slowing down your computer. You need to udnerstand how they work, in simplest terms.. the old CPU’s process data slower at the same clock speeds as a new cpu. This is becouse of the archeticutre of the cpu. Additionaly GW2 can only use so many cores/threads i beleve its somthign like 2.5. Therefor you will never really see max cpu load anyway unless your on a Dual core, even then its not guarunteed.

therefor you problem OP is that your CPU is not fast enough . OC’ing will help.. but it still wont be as good as a modern cpu.

MMORPG’s are ALWAYS more CPU bound than GPU unless they are heavily coded to do the oposite.

Another way of simply finding out why your running slow is this.
Check your GPU usuage when you have low fps ..if your GPU is NOT on 99% usuage then its being slowed down by another part of your computer which in 95% of casses is your CPU. Irrelivant of CPU usuage.

Its not how much the CPU can take(%utilisation) …its how fast it can take it(Core clock & Architecture)

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

GW2 only use 2.5cores. Think of it this way. You no longer have a Quad core, but more like a Dual core. Go disable a core or two. Likely your remaining cpu will reach 100%, but your GPU utilization will not change or fps.

Now those people with Core i5/i7 will also have 4 or more cores, and only use 2.5 of them, but each of their core can compute more than the C2D hence they probably won’t see a bottleneck in gw2.

Maybe some day GW2 developers will think of a ingenious way to use more cores effectively and WvWvW could be do able at 120fps lol

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

(edited by kirito.4138)