Question about 1080 GPU + GW2

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

So I got myself the Armor MSI 1080 8gig gpu and an ASUS 2k TN monitor.

With everything on High/Ultra, except Character model Limit and Character Model Quality (lowest), i’m getting about 75 fps average, with a high of 120 in some idling cases. The fps is not sporadic by any means.

I know the game is older and the game coding is more cpu dependent, i’m just wondering if my FPS is normal for the 1080 gpu. My CPU is the i5-6600k.

If it’s a small bottle neck to GW2 only, then I wont upgrade the cpu. I just wanted to double confirm here on the forums to see if anyone else are having similar FPS on their 1080.

Thanks,

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Posted by: TEKnowledgy.1760

TEKnowledgy.1760

i5 probably bottle necking the 1080 and gw2 to be honest if you went to i7 you’d probably increase fps even more . GW2 is more cpu needy. Better the cpu better the fps i used play gw2 on dual core amd with 4670 radeon very weak system, when i put in a video card bout 4x better i hardly went up any fps maybe 15 tops slightly better stable avgs. With my new system which also amd build went to 8 core cpu massive fps gains from that using same video card. But 75-120 fps you should be happy gw2 came out when there was no such thing as freesync designed more around a stable 60 fps why you only have frame limiter in game that tops at 60.

(edited by TEKnowledgy.1760)

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Being a CPU bound game, top tier GPUs aren’t going to make that big of a difference because you are being limited by the game itself— even mid-tier GPUs fall asleep dealing with Gw2.

However, there’s really nothing for you to really upgrade to that wouldn’t be a huge waste of money. An i7 processor would not benefit Gw2 (or most games anyways) as it woudn’t be able to make good use of the hyperthreading and Kaby Lake is only a bit faster than Skylake.

We can only hope the Zen hype is real.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

My thoughts exactly guys. Appreciate the responses, just wanted to double confirm. No reason to upgrade my cpu as I play other games just fine.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

an ASUS 2k TN monitor.

You mean 1440P? 2k and 2560×1440 are two different things

I know the game is older and the game coding is more cpu dependent, i’m just wondering if my FPS is normal for the 1080 gpu. My CPU is the i5-6600k.

If it’s a small bottle neck to GW2 only, then I wont upgrade the cpu. I just wanted to double confirm here on the forums to see if anyone else are having similar FPS on their 1080.

That seems about right. There isn’t another CPU that will be any better for GW2, so your best bet is to OC it as high as you can, which will eliminate the bottleneck as much as you can

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood