Questions about giving out serial code

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Waah.1270

Waah.1270

Q:

A few hours ago i received a fishing email, ofc i didn’t recognize it and clicked into the link like a fool. What’s worse, i gave out my serial code in that fishing website. Although i changed my password but i’m still concerned about giving out the serial code to the hackers.
I would really appreciate anyone can tell me about the consequences of giving out serial code regarding account safety and the methods to deal with it. PLZ HELP.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

A:

I’m going to look into this for you. At this time, just be sure you’ve cleared your system and secured both your game and e-mail accounts. I’ll let you know about the serial code question as soon as I have a definitive answer.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: SandraSolace.7682

SandraSolace.7682

Secure your email too, change the password.

After that scan your pc for keyloggers.

The serial can be used to fight for ownership of the account, but the serial is not all that. You do not really need it to prove you own the account if you can provide proof.

But indeed, change the password for the game and your email account. And if you feel really insecure, you might want to consider asking support for an email change.

For the future, anet/guildwars will never ever send an email asking for this info, if you do do something against the rules there will be no warning through email.

Waah.1270

Thx for answering sandra, my email account have a different and more complicated password than the game account, i think it’s still safe. Since the serial code can be used to fight for onwership, i guess i made a huge mistake. Wish there’s any way to change the serial code, or i’m gonna live the nightmare that someone might take away my account someday.

Posted by: SandraSolace.7682

SandraSolace.7682

You’ll be okay, the serial is an important thing but not as important as you might think. Like I said there are other way’s to prove it is your account.
There are many players that didn’t even save their serial and have successfully claimed their account back.

But I would change my email password. Thinking something is safe is just not enough.

Remember, ultimately account security is our own responsibility even if support is awesome.

Waah.1270

Thx for the help sandra, i’ll change my email password later.