Random Shutdowns

Random Shutdowns

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Virgo.5264

Virgo.5264

This has started happening to me. Not sure but hoping it’s an overheating or power issue. When I’m playing, usually in a mission during a long drawn out fight, my computer will totally power down. There will be just one light left on on the Mobo but nothing else is on. In order to restart I have to unplug the power supply and then replug it in. It has also happened once when I was trying to do an auto OC.

I have noticed my CPU running towards 90c but never over that. I just reapplied thermal paste and have tried increasing fan speeds to help with heat. I did find out that I bought a slightly lower quality power supply and my card requires 42A on the 12 volt rail but my PSU only puts out 40A. Are the 2 missing amps the problem? Maybe coupled with the fact that I have a power hungry card and 4 cores and the computer is just cranking at the point when it goes down causes the PSU to just not have quite enough oomph.

Rig:
MSI 890fx mobo
AMD 955 quad core
EVGA Nvidia 480
3 hard drives
2 optical drives
APEVIA 650 W PSU

I’m probably going to replace the PSU first depending on what I hear from here.

Random Shutdowns

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: majestic.8129

majestic.8129

The two possibilities you list are most likely.

Are you aware that the max. temp in the AMD specs is 62c? Assuming you mean a phenom ii x4 something seems very wrong with the cooling somewhere.

As far as the PSU, its seriously bad quality and won’t output what the inflated specs say anyway. A quality 650w would be fine but you may want to go higher in-case you wish to go SLI or something in the future. Some recommended OEMs: Seasonic, Enermax, Delta, Zippy. Always check who makes the PSU even seemingly reputable companies have dud models.

(edited by majestic.8129)