Ranger Pet "Macros"

Ranger Pet "Macros"

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Illuminerdi.9153

Illuminerdi.9153

I was hoping to get some clarification on the macro policy; the stated policy regarding macros is “one keystroke per action”

Does this include “actions” that currently cannot be bound to keys? For example, stowing a Ranger’s Pet or setting it to passive can only be done by clicking the UI.

Technically speaking, this “action” is comprised of 2 separate acts: moving the mouse to the specified part of the UI and Clicking on the UI; with a macro, you can execute a click on specific screen coordinates, so technically you’re eliminating the “moving the mouse” portion of the action.

Would this be considered against the rules, or is the mouse movement portion considered negligible?

I want to stay within the rules here – I have no desire to automate anything and I’m not looking to give myself any kind of advantage, I just prefer to do as much as possible (besides camera movement) with keystrokes.

Thanks!

Ranger Pet "Macros"

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

They’d probably be fine with that – but the ranger pets can be manipulated with the F keys.

wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pet#Pet_interaction

The wiki page.

Ranger Pet "Macros"

Posted by: LyricDawnhagen.7803

LyricDawnhagen.7803

I believe what he is having questions with are the “Stow Pet” and “Pet Maintenance” buttons. They do not have a key binding in the Control Options tab of the Options screen. You actually have to click on those two buttons with the mouse.

As to the OP’s question, I really do not know how ArenaNet will come done on this. Any macro you write will either have to move the mouse pointer to the location of the button on the UI and then execute a left mouse button click on the UI object or use a virtual mouse pointer to execute a click on the interface button independent of the actual mouse pointer location.

Using a fairly strict interpretation (my opinion only) of the red posts on these forums, it could violate the the one to one required relationship between hot key click and game action. I do think having software create a hot key to handle the mouse movement and clicking would give you a definite advantage over a user that was not using a key bind macro to “Stow Pet”. Here is a forum post by Gaile Gray which can be used as a metric to measure how “acceptable” a key bind or macro might be.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Policy-3rd-Party-Programs-Multi-Boxing-Macros/first

I doubt someone from ArenaNet will give you an absolute “it’s ok” message on the forums. You might try submitting a support ticket and ask the question directly. They still may not give a direct answer because it would open up the flood gates of people asking for approval of their specific macro/key bind and of course these would try and push the boundaries of what can be done as far as possible.

As a second thought you might create a post in the general “Guild Wars 2 Discussion” forum and make a suggestion that ArenaNet add key binds for those two buttons to the options screen. Give some reasons why this would be useful and see what sort of response you get there. While not an immediate solution, it would the first step in getting the key binding ability you are looking for without the use of third party software (and the accompanying chance of an account ban).

Hope that helps a little.

Ranger Pet "Macros"

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

Well, unless it’s changed, “K” should open the pet management screen.

Ranger Pet "Macros"

Posted by: LyricDawnhagen.7803

LyricDawnhagen.7803

Well, unless it’s changed, “K” should open the pet management screen.

Well that is interesting. I have been using “K” for something else for 2 years. I did a reset to default and sure enough, default “K” is the pet management screen but it is called “Pet Dialog” in the settings. Never put the two together. I just clicked the UI button when I need to do pet switches. So thanks for sharing that.

But that still leaves no key bind (that I can find) for the “Stow Pet”.