Rapid-Fire Mousebutton, legal?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Mistshifter.5732

Mistshifter.5732

Hi there!

Hoping to clear something up, before I get banned or something.

My regular mouse died and I’m using an old one, Trust.. Predator I think. It has a Rapid Fire button on it. It’s designed for Shooter-games where it gives 3 short left mousebutton clicks so fast that it fires exactly 3 shots and nothing more or less.

Great for halo, but I’m worried pretting the button might be against the rules here. As it’s 1 button firing off 3 actions.

I’ve pressed it while holding the engineer’s grenade kit, and if I hold it down, I just keep tossing grenades where the cursor indicates.
Now I’m not one to look for exploits, the game isn’t all that complicated to play. And if it’s not allowed, I’m absolutely fine with that. But it is making the grenade kit less fingercrampy lol.

But it might still be registered as 3 button strokes. I just don’t know. It’s not really a program, but it is a third party.. “thing” I suppose.

So, just to clear this up:
Am I allowed to use this button or not?
Would love to get an official ruling on it. ^^’

Edit: Obviously I’m not using it now, untill I get a green light. Just figured I’d add this before some one calls me a cheater. :P

(edited by Mistshifter.5732)

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

You can hold 1 and left click on a standard mouse and your character will keep chucking grenades as well. Can’t imagine that yours is against the ToS.

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

Mistshifter.5732

That does not seem to work of me. :x Are you sure that works?

Edit:
I normally play with ability 1 also bound to the scroll button, (not throwing by scrolling, but by clicking the button down). Seemed to me a pretty pleasant way to play as it allows better movement while throwing. Also less troublesome hand placement than spamming 1 while also needing your fingers to press WASD and 2-5.

But here the main concern is that I can perform multiple actions by just pressing 1 button. Which I believe is against the ToS. But on the other hand it’s technically pressing the same button very fast automatically.
So a bit of a grey area there.

(edited by Mistshifter.5732)

Posted by: LeCreaux.3087

LeCreaux.3087

For Christmas my wife got me a Logitech G910 mechanical-switch keyboard and Logitech G502 mechanical-switch mouse. These devices are supposed to be able to do really fancy stuff in the macro department and have a bunch of buttons to do them. But to be on the safe side in games I have them mapped to do just single-keys. Just because your device can do fancy stuff doesn’t mean it’s a good idea, especially if it puts your account at risk.

Mistshifter.5732

Heh, I realize that LeCreaux.
Like I said, I’m not using it right now. I was just wondering if it would be allowed.

My best guess is that it shouldn’t be. But if it is, I might retain usage of my index fingers by the time early onset artritis kicks in from the frantic spamming of grenade buttons. :P

Also, that is a really nice mouse, so 3 cheers for the awesome wife you have!

Posted by: LeCreaux.3087

LeCreaux.3087

Oh she didn’t make it that easy, I’m still hearing about how expensive it was and what she could have gotten with the same money (over $300). The bad part is my fingers are still getting used to the new layout, I have no muscle-memory for it so I’m fumbling around a lot. I’m resisting the strong urge to attach my old keyboard/mouse (Corsair K70 and Logitech G400S) because she will never let me hear the end of it.

Posted by: Atistheso.4657

Atistheso.4657

So I am gonna share my experience here:

I was using a rapid fire button too, the difference being that mine would click non stop as long as I kept the button pressed. A few months ago I spent a whole week farming magic find to get to 300, so I was buying tons of greens and blues, and then salvaging them. In this process I was using my fire button a lot to consume the magic find, but also to cancel all my buy orders on the tp before making new ones. This was saving me a huge amount of clicks (the irony is that I killed my previous mouse playing gw2 because I was clicking too much).
Anyway, 1 day after reaching my 300mf, I was suddenly banned. It took me 6 days to get unbanned and the Customer Service never wanted to tell me why I got banned in the first place despite insistence in my mails, but I strongly believe it must have been because of this fire button. I know I didn’t misbehave in chat, I didn’t use bots and I never bought gold … so that’s my personal conclusion.

It might have been because I used it on the tp tho – I could see it generating a lot of cancel requests really fast and looking suspicious – or because I used it A LOT during that week – I was using it before but not nearly as much.

So anyway, just to be safe, I would advise you to not use it.

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

It;s the one big question so many of us want answering but ANet REFUSE to definitively say. They have said that auto-clickers are not allowed but have not said what they regard as an auto-clicker. They have said that macros are fine but you need to stick to the one-press to one action principle, they have not said how mice fit into that, either buttons or wheel.

So many people want to resolve the kitten ed awful game design that is “click your mouse button millions of times”. People have burnt out their mice and burnt out their fingers with this. Players have found ways around this, commonly binding mouse wheel to double-click. But we all live in fear of a ban because of their deliberate ambiguity on the matter.

We don;t want to bot, we don;t want an “advantage” we just want to do the things ANet have put into the game but without damaging our mouse or our health.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

One click = One action is basically the rules.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square