Re-Installing on Mac

Re-Installing on Mac

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: mynameiswhat.2896

mynameiswhat.2896

Q:

Hi, all —

I deleted GW2 about a month ago on my Mac. That is, I dragged the application into the Trash and emptied the Trash.

A good friend of mine recently got the game, so I tried to reinstall it, but alas, have had no success in reinstalling. My Mac system is up-to-date. I have manually deleted the Guild Wars 2 folder in “Application Support.”

After the initial install, the client simply doesn’t initiate download. It just opens up the icon of GW2 on the dock, which doesn’t launch the download screen and refuses to quit. I have to force-quit it.

I’ve been deleting the GW2 application and re-installing it like a maniac trying to get the thing to actually download from the internet. But nothing happens.

What do I do?

Thanks,
STC

Re-Installing on Mac

Posted by: Mazzacre.8509

Mazzacre.8509

Same issue here. Just sits on the installer screen and will not allow me to select continue to begin installation at all. Running OS X Yosemite 10.10.2

Re-Installing on Mac

Posted by: JRM.6218

JRM.6218

I’m not better. The installation is finished in seconds (?), but I can’t connect with servers. So bad.

Re-Installing on Mac

mynameiswhat.2896

@Mazzacre & JRM:

Was this your first install, or were you reinstalling after deleting the game?

Keep me posted if you figure out a solution….

Re-Installing on Mac

JRM.6218

Thank you.

Reinstalling. I think it’s a connection issue now. That (“Failed to connect”) is what appears in Console. No problem otherwise.

Re-Installing on Mac

Posted by: Aizle Syracuse.9857

Aizle Syracuse.9857

@mynameiswhat:

I’ve encountered the same issue, though the circumstances are slightly different. My game crashed about a day ago, bringing up an error code that I didn’t bother to screenshot because I didn’t think I needed to… It’s happened frequently enough and the game has relaunched just fine in the past. Since the crash however, whenever I try to start up the application, the icon just sits in the dock as if it’s active, but the launch window doesn’t appear. Force-quitting has proven the only way to close it. I tried reinstalling it as well, but the issue persists.

Is it safe to assume this is probably just a connectivity problem, or is a solution still being sought?

Re-Installing on Mac

JRM.6218

I’ve encountered the same issue, though the circumstances are slightly different. My game crashed about a day ago, bringing up an error code that I didn’t bother to screenshot because I didn’t think I needed to… It’s happened frequently enough and the game has relaunched just fine in the past. Since the crash however, whenever I try to start up the application, the icon just sits in the dock as if it’s active, but the launch window doesn’t appear. Force-quitting has proven the only way to close it. I tried reinstalling it as well, but the issue persists.

Just like me. I didn’t get the error code, otherwise my problem is the same. 4 days and some suggestions from assistance service, but no result.

Re-Installing on Mac

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Just like me. I didn’t get the error code, otherwise my problem is the same. 4 days and some suggestions from assistance service, but no result.

Have you tried this?

Repair Instructions for Mac:
Click on the “Finder” icon located in your Dock or the desktop of your computer to make “Finder” the active program in the Finder menu bar.
Click on “Go” in the Finder menu bar. A dropdown will appear.
Click on “Utilities.”
Once in the “Utilities” folder click Terminal.app.
Copy and paste the following line into the terminal and click “Enter”:
/applications/guild\ wars\ 2.app/contents/MacOS/cider —use-dos-cwd C:Gw2 -- C:\\GW2\\GW2.exe –repair

These steps should start the repair of your client. Let the process complete and once done, close out of Terminal, log into your account, and see if the issue persists.

Re-Installing on Mac

Posted by: NWalker.3049

NWalker.3049

Have you tried this?

Click on the “Finder” icon located in your Dock or the desktop of your computer to make “Finder” the active program in the Finder menu bar.
Click on “Utilities.”
/applications/guild\ wars\ 2.app/contents/MacOS/cider —use-dos-cwd C:Gw2 -- C:\\GW2\\GW2.exe –repair

These steps should start the repair of your client. Let the process complete and once done, close out of Terminal, log into your account, and see if the issue persists.

I tried that, but it just returns ‘cannot find -use-dos-cwd’.

I just installed the program normally, didn’t move the files or anything, do you know how I can fix this?

General in Lore School [GWen] – Aurora Glade
Charr Le Main | Olindor | Daevron | Bloggon | Contact Lenses

Re-Installing on Mac

Posted by: Athilio.2741

Athilio.2741

Exactly the same problem here . Client invisible . I tried the instructions from the forum (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/MAC-Basic-Beta-Client-Troubleshooting/first#post2480238)

And yet the problem persisted . Remember that when i tried to repair the client (following the instructions from item 3) the error message ’can not find -use- the – cwd appears.

Re-Installing on Mac

mynameiswhat.2896

@mynameiswhat:

Is it safe to assume this is probably just a connectivity problem, or is a solution still being sought?

Syracuse -

My problem randomly fixed itself. I just kept the game open. Didn’t force-quit even though it wasn’t responding. All of a sudden it began to download.

No idea what the problem was. I did put in a support ticket, and they walked me through the usual steps for a Mac: delete the folder in App Support, delete programs that might be interfering at log-in, and create a new user account to check whether it’s a problem unique to my user account. I also ran the repair code in the Terminal.

None of those worked. But yesterday the game suddenly decided it was time to launch, without any interference from me or the support staff.

So: I just kept the program open and didn’t force-quit. The client eventually woke up.

But that’s obviously not solving the root of the problem.

Anyone else have ideas as to how to handle this Mac client-sleeping-issue? Seems like a lot of Mac users are having trouble getting the game to launch.

(edited by mynameiswhat.2896)

Re-Installing on Mac

JRM.6218

Yeah, 6th day and here. I’ll keep the app open, maybe it decides to run at 12th.

Re-Installing on Mac

Posted by: Shivetya.9278

Shivetya.9278

I had to delete the folder in Library/Application Support/Guild Wars 2 before I could even run the repair option. Apparently it thought it was owned by someone else. Regardless it seems to let me install the game again

Re-Installing on Mac

JRM.6218

At this point (one week without playing the game), I must say that the suggestions from the assistance service seem sent by bots. It seems they have a predetermined sequence to, no matter what’s the problem. ANet, this isn’t nice, at all.

Re-Installing on Mac

Posted by: Firespirit.7253

Firespirit.7253

I’ve had the same problem as OP and apparently my processor doesn’t meet the Mac Beta requirements. However I was able to play GW2 Thursday and this entire problem started Friday. Had the same issue with getting an error that I didn’t pay any attention to because I thought that I wouldn’t need it. The client won’t let me log in or type anything or click and disable/reenable anything, and to quit it I need to force quit it.

Though they said it doesn’t meet requirements, I also asked if anything had changed this Thursday/Friday that would result in my Mac processor not working anymore. Apparently nothing has changed at all, and the requirements have been the same forever. My game ran fine before, doesn’t work anymore now, and I just recently got back into GW2. So what gives? I have my Mac fully updated to OS X Yosemite by now, and the client problem occurred before updating and still persists afterwards. I’m not buying a new computer for just one single game.

Re-Installing on Mac

Mazzacre.8509

I deleted the file and am trying to reinstall. It still doesn’t give me the option to click continue to instal the game. Had to actually download that game on the windows side since the MAC client is a fail. Any fix to this yet?? I honestly hate having to boot up windows side to play so much that I haven’t played in about 2 weeks…….

Re-Installing on Mac

Aizle Syracuse.9857

It’s been over a week and I remain unable to get the client started up. Normally I wouldn’t mind waiting in the hopes that a solution will eventually be worked out, but at this point the problem is threatening to cost me the chance to explore the Lunar New Year patch. Is anyone else still having this issue?

Re-Installing on Mac

mynameiswhat.2896

It’s been over a week and I remain unable to get the client started up. Normally I wouldn’t mind waiting in the hopes that a solution will eventually be worked out, but at this point the problem is threatening to cost me the chance to explore the Lunar New Year patch. Is anyone else still having this issue?

Yes. I was finally able to download the game, but tonight it decided it doesn’t want to launch for me anymore. It’s doing the show-up-in-dock-but-won’t-launch thing again.

(edited by mynameiswhat.2896)

Re-Installing on Mac

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Yes. I was finally able to download the game, but tonight it decided it doesn’t want to launch for me anymore. It’s doing the show-up-in-dock-but-won’t-launch thing again.

Thats unfortunately a common issue with Macintosh computers in general, did you try restarting or doing a force quit?

Re-Installing on Mac

Aizle Syracuse.9857

Thats unfortunately a common issue with Macintosh computers in general, did you try restarting or doing a force quit?

I’ve tried both restarting and force quitting multiple times since this problem emerged, and from the look of things others have as well. It doesn’t seem to make any difference.

Re-Installing on Mac

Posted by: ribambelle.1253

ribambelle.1253

Macbook Pro 2011 with Yosemite 10.10.2 here. I bought the game when it was on sale a few weeks ago and have been playing it regularly and without issues since then. Yesterday I had the “show-up-in-dock-but-won’t-launch thing” described in this thread when I started the game, but without warning or error message. The launcher window just didn’t show up. The only thing I can remember doing differently that day was using Safari as my main browser instead of Chrome…

My first reaction was waiting, but no launcher window appeared. I also had to force quit because right-clicking “Quit” didn’t do anything. I then went through disk utility (all ok) and tried several times to repair the launcher through the terminal, which apparently didn’t do anything: the game icon popped open in the dock but that’s it. I obviously have also tried to simply restart the computer and have checked the game permissions, but that’s not it.
I now have uninstalled and deleted all GW2 files, restarted my computer and tried to reinstall the game – but still no launcher window. I don’t know what else I can try.

Re-Installing on Mac

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

Click on “Utilities.”

May I suggest for future use the much shorter "Press command+space to open spotlight, type “Terminal”, start terminal.app from the results list

Also, copy-pasting that link can cause issues with the double dash before use-dos… it is often copied as a long dash (em dash) instead of two short dashes (en dash). That might explain the error message that NWalker and Athilio got.

Re-Installing on Mac

Posted by: KeairaPhoenix.6123

KeairaPhoenix.6123

When I try that terminal command I get this:

-bash: /applications/guild wars 2.app/contents/MacOS/cider: No such file or directory

Re-Installing on Mac

Posted by: Temerity.5239

Temerity.5239

-bash: /applications/guild wars 2.app/contents/MacOS/cider: No such file or directory

It’s case sensitive (I got the same error). Try this instead:

/Applications/Guild\ Wars\ 2.app/Contents/MacOS/cider —use-dos-cwd C:Gw2 -- C:\\GW2\\GW2.exe -repair

Re-Installing on Mac

Mazzacre.8509

Still no fix?? I tried the above and copied and pasted: /Applications/Guild\ Wars\ 2.app/Contents/MacOS/cider —use-dos-cwd C:Gw2 — C:\\GW2\\GW2.exe -repair

Into terminal and it states: -bash: /Applications/Guild Wars 2.app/Contents/MacOS/cider: No such file or directory

When I go to install it doesn’t give me the option to continue with the installation it just opens up to the Guild Wars 2 Installer with nothing to select to begin the process. The continue button is grayed out. Can a dev or someone fix this, it’s been months and I haven’t played at all because of this issue.

Re-Installing on Mac

Mazzacre.8509

Ok so just tried to mess around with the terminal code to see if I could get it to install and I ran into this:

/Applications/Guild\ Wars\ 2\ Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/tgInstall —use-dos-cwd C:Gw2 — C:\\GW2\\GW2.exe -repair

tgInstall[969:41069] Could not find image named ‘logo’.

Any ideas?? Still seeing this when trying to download:

Attachments:

Re-Installing on Mac

Posted by: Odesseus.1472

Odesseus.1472

Hi, guys. Yeah the Terminal command doesn’t do anything.

Try this:

- Go to your user Library > Application Support and delete the Guild Wars 2 folder
- In the same Library, go to Preferences and delete com.transgaming.guildwars2.plist
- Delete the application Guild Wars 2
- Download and reinstall a new client from GW2
- New data should now download

The prefs file sometimes has bad data and can cause the game not to download properly.

If the game won’t start, open the Activity Monitor and look for Guild Wars 2 in the list. If it’s there, click on it and force quit it. GW2 should start normally.

I can’t run Safari while I run GW2. They don’t like each other.

Re-Installing on Mac

Mazzacre.8509

Odesseus, there is not a GW2 folder or a GW2 application running on my computer because it will not download. I looked in preferences and there is nothing there pertaining to GW2. I also ran a search on my computer just in case there were hidden lingering files and I came up with 0 results. Also I tried closing Safari and that didn’t help either. I still get the above screenshot ankitten ot able to download the game.

Re-Installing on Mac

Mazzacre.8509

Hello devs any suggestions or a fix it’s been months………….

Re-Installing on Mac

Mazzacre.8509

Still waiting to hear back about this issue.

Re-Installing on Mac

Mazzacre.8509

So they said that my system all of a sudden doesn’t meet the requirements although the game worked perfectly fine prior to me deleting it when cleaning up my computer. Way to go NC Soft tech support sucks as always. No more GW2 for me.

Re-Installing on Mac

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

One small suggestion to people. Open up System Preferences>>Security and Privacy>>General. There is a bit where it says “Allow apps downloaded from…” Try changing that to Anywhere and seeing if the installer works after that?

Re-Installing on Mac

Posted by: Archranis.2375

Archranis.2375

Ok so just tried to mess around with the terminal code to see if I could get it to install and I ran into this:

/Applications/Guild\ Wars\ 2\ Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/tgInstall —use-dos-cwd C:Gw2 — C:\\GW2\\GW2.exe -repair

tgInstall[969:41069] Could not find image named ‘logo’.

Any ideas?? Still seeing this when trying to download:

This message indicates that the Installer is a separate application from the GW2 game, itself. (Game is /Applications/Guild Wars 2; Installer seems to be /Applications/Guild Wars 2 Installer) So perhaps making sure both the game and installer (and traces of them in Preferences and Application Support folders) have been removed before re-attempting download/install might be worth a check.

You might also want to make sure you’ve emptied the trash. If part of the download/install process is looking for parts of the download, and it happens to check the trash folder and finds things which it thinks indicates a finished download/install (which is, I know, not a great thing to do), that may confuse it and prevent a fresh download.

And there’s always the Disk Utility -> Repair Permissions thing -- just in case something got interrupted and permissions were left in a funky state.

I’m not sure if any of these things will help — and you may have tried them all already, but thought I’d throw them out there, anyway.

Good luck. If you find a resolution, please post.

[JUGs] Just Us Grownups — http://jugs-guild.com
Contacts: Archranis.2375 // Neksis Syxx.6983

Re-Installing on Mac

Posted by: KhalBen.6042

KhalBen.6042

Anyone who still have such problem with Mac Pro please see the below link,

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/arenanet-tracker/topic/265042-basic-mac-beta-client-troubleshooting/

My problem is fixed after I tried step 4).

Good luck.