Reserved Names

Reserved Names

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Revenga.1293

Revenga.1293

Hello

What is the status on reserved names? When will they be released to the general public? It was my understanding that any reserved names that were not used shortly after launch, would be released to the general population. I have been trying for days to see if this one name I have been trying to get would come out of reserved status. Are reserved names going to be released? I have not been able to get an answer to this question as of yet, nor have I been able to find any info regarding this.

p.s
As a note, when attempting to register a toon with the name it gives me the “this name is reserved..” error message, which is different then “character name already exists”. Thus I am of the belief that the name has still not been used/created

Regards

Reserved Names

Posted by: BloodDoll.4602

BloodDoll.4602

They should have gone with the naming system champions online uses so everyone could have had the same first name but the username is what makes it unique. All the name thieves jumped on the headstart early and took all the good names sadly. People are using my name and pictures from my various websites and saying they are me in the game and getting free stuff from people.

Reserved Names

Posted by: PravusObsideo.8293

PravusObsideo.8293

I’m in the same situation. Have been waiting quite awhile now to make a character with a name that is on the reservation list; it is a bit frustrating. I know that the name I am trying to use is not in use already because when searching for it in-game it tells me no player is currently using that name.

Reserved Names

Posted by: Sylent.8271

Sylent.8271

There have been a few forum posts on this topic, and I’m in the same boat waiting for my name to become ‘unreserved’. From what I can gather, A Net is trying to fix all the issues people are having with logging in and being hacked, in case some of those people have names reserved from Guild Wars 1. I assume that the names will be released when the major issues are sorted out, but I hope it’s soon = ]

Reserved Names

Posted by: CalvinHobbes.3541

CalvinHobbes.3541

I’m sure names will be unreserved right around the time GW3 is making it’s way to stores. The terrible choice to reserve names in the first place is placing names in further limbo due to the never ending login issues support has been dealing with. So with no end in site for support problems I definitely wouldn’t hold my breath.

“It’s a magical world, Hobbes, ol’ buddy… Let’s go exploring!”

Reserved Names

Posted by: Revenga.1293

Revenga.1293

Well that’s a bummer. It’s understandable that they got a lot on their plate atm, but the temptation to start my alt is difficult to control. I really hope they can take the time to un-reserve the names sooner rather than later.

Reserved Names

Posted by: Frost.2908

Frost.2908

Agreed its been almost 2 weeks that Ive been waiting on a name to be released to create my character… yes names mean a lot to me in this game but this is getting really old really quickly.

The whole naming situation is just as important as players being unable to log in or hacked accounts in my eyes as I cannot play until the name is released and my character is created… 2 weeks and counting…

Reserved Names

Posted by: Snow White.9680

Snow White.9680

It makes sense that they’ve given more time for this feature considering all the problems people are having.

Imagine how frustrated you’d be if you took the time to grind hom to reserve a name and then you couldn’t log in and create your character at launch to due being hacked or one of the other launch issues we’ve had. Only to have your named wiped clean and given to someone else.

Reserved Names

Posted by: CalvinHobbes.3541

CalvinHobbes.3541

It makes sense that they’ve given more time for this feature considering all the problems people are having.

Imagine how frustrated you’d be if you took the time to grind hom to reserve a name and then you couldn’t log in and create your character at launch to due being hacked or one of the other launch issues we’ve had. Only to have your named wiped clean and given to someone else.

Name reservation isn’t tied to HOM so there was no grind necessary. Any name that was created in GW1 was reserved as long as that account logged in within the time frame they set before release of GW2.

“It’s a magical world, Hobbes, ol’ buddy… Let’s go exploring!”

Reserved Names

Posted by: Athena.3579

Athena.3579

Hey everyone. I was also hoping that the names would have been unlocked by now. I do understand they have been having issues though. On the other hand, it has been nearly two weeks — a lot longer than just 24 hours after the 28th. I sent in a question to the support team a little less than a week ago and they answered my question last night. Here is what they told me:

“At this time we are currently working on other features, and we would encourage you to create your character and start playing with it, as it will still be a little while until we release the Guild Wars 1 reserved names to use on Guild Wars 2. We also encourage you to link your Guild Wars 1 account to Guild Wars 2 if you have yet to do so. This feature will surely be available. I hope this information is useful to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, let us know.”

I’m in the same boat wanting to hold off making my character because I want a name that is reserved but unclaimed in GW2. Hopefully they will be able to give us an official date before too long, although I was hoping the names would be unlocked this weekend.

Reserved Names

Posted by: Sylent.8271

Sylent.8271

“At this time we are currently working on other features, and we would encourage you to create your character and start playing with it, as it will still be a little while until we release the Guild Wars 1 reserved names to use on Guild Wars 2. We also encourage you to link your Guild Wars 1 account to Guild Wars 2 if you have yet to do so. This feature will surely be available. I hope this information is useful to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, let us know.”

So create my character and start playing with it, even though my name isn’t available? Does that mean that when the names become available you’ll allow character name changes? or will we be stuck with what we created as a stop-gap?

Reserved Names

Posted by: Flame Haze.1758

Flame Haze.1758

I’m also starting to get annoyed I think 2 weeks is enough time to get your GW 1 name and it’s most of the time the users fault that they’re hacked so though luck.

Everyone’s saying GW 2 ist a completely new game so cut the roots to GW 1 already.
I’m cecking everyday if the name’s free and the chances are high that those people don’t even play GW 2 or have taken a completely different name.

Reserved Names

Posted by: Athena.3579

Athena.3579

Yeah… Starting a character isn’t really an option for me when the name I want is sitting there unused. I wish they had made it slightly more intentional to reserve names. Just logging in to reserve them, on hindsight, wasn’t the best idea.

Reserved Names

Posted by: PravusObsideo.8293

PravusObsideo.8293

Dang; as much as I want to make my character, I can’t bring myself to do it knowing the name I would like to use isn’t currently in use. I guess a lot of people might see a name as no big deal, but I always have to decide pretty carefully before choosing them.

Reserved Names

Posted by: Death Dealer.1456

Death Dealer.1456

I am the type of player that like to have names based on the characters & for the lore of the game. Being GW2, and setting your own “story” on that character & its journey, it only made the game feel more personal.

This being now over 2 weeks, still having same trouble with linking my account for the “Revered names”. You go through all the steps that ArenaNet /NCSOFT set to save your toons name, go through all the “copy & paste” info that they want you to send them, saying it will further help the process. Yet they have not fixed this problem & leave us wondering what was it all for if they cant fix this problem?

Reserved Names

Posted by: Pukka.6389

Pukka.6389

I opened a ticket on this and got a response. I was told that there was NO announced date as to when they would be dropping these. That’s weird, as the two blog posts on it at least had some clarity on it (“shortly after launch” and the original blog post said “day after launch”). shrugs, just wish they would give us some kind of time frame.