Scammed in-game

Scammed in-game

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Tase.3294

Tase.3294

I reported the player via the in-game interface. Should I take any extra steps to ensure that my money is returned in a timely fashion?

I made this forum post because I read about people getting scammed, reporting it, and nothing had been done about it 1 week later. I assume this was because the support team was too busy.

Scammed in-game

Posted by: God Of Fissures.8627

God Of Fissures.8627

Why did you trust him in the first place? Never trust somebody you don’t know.

As for “extra steps” to take, you should make a follow-up post here on the forums to raise awareness about scams in-game. Make sure to be specific in how you were scammed, including every detail you see relevant.

Don’t, however, post the name of the player who scammed you. ArenaNet already has that information from the report.

i7-3770K (Delidded) @ 4.6GHz | nVidia GTX TITAN X@ 1468/7800
ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz @ 2400MHz
Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSD | Windows 10 x64

Scammed in-game

Tase.3294

It was a deal that was too good to be true, and I had never had any problems trading one the Map channel, so I was too trusting.

Scammed in-game

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

It was your choice to send the money. So far, Gaile has mentioned no refunds will be given out.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Scammed in-game

Tase.3294

So scamming is permitted? Link source.

I’ll just make a ticket then.

(edited by Tase.3294)

Scammed in-game

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Tase — it’s really difficult, nearly impossible, for our team to intercede in what are, essentially, “Gentlemen’s agreements.” You said the price was “too good to be true” and yet you accepted it and got burned. Like the guy in the alley who says he’s going to sell you a “Rolex” watch for 10 bucks?

I sympathize, we all sympathize, but getting in the middle of every transaction is just not in the cards. Reporting the situation is good — it makes us aware of the unscrupulous players and, once highlighted, may allow us to track a history of bad behavior that results in their removal from the game. But it’s truly unlikely that we will be able to give that item or gold back for you.

In all transactions, use caution and care, just as you do in real life.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Scammed in-game

Posted by: Konn.5978

Konn.5978

It was your own fault, herpkitten

Scammed in-game

Posted by: Ziggy.7319

Ziggy.7319

This is exactly why we need player to player trading or a cash on delivery.

so wait it minute. Jason Smalling says:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/bltc/Player-to-Player-trading/first

Kazim.2043:

For example one player advertising an item on shout, and made a deal with another player through chat. He sent the item through mail, but the second player did not pay back.

Is it considered officially as a scam?
Is it an official offence that might have consequences?

Yes, you can report that player as Scamming.

but then you won’t even help the people? what’s up with this?

Scammed in-game

Posted by: Kikz.5097

Kikz.5097

I don’t know why we don’t have a direct trade system or even a mail that needs to be replied with cash before you can take the items in it.

Maybe the dev team is afraid of making the gold seller’s life easier, but I think this is something that the game needs, the Trading Post alone isn’t enough.

Scammed in-game

Tase.3294

Use caution and care? I am supposed to be afraid and weary of everyone I meet in this game? This is not the kind of community I would want.

It’s very much so possible to intervene in this kind of situation, it is even done, since ArenaNet seems to have no problem interceding when there is an argument and racial slurs and other inappropriate language is used. All I see here is that it’s much easier to ban the person and move on then to actually fix the situation for the offended party.

The behavior demonstrated here is the same as any other kind violation, and I would have expected ArenaNet to do their utmost to resolve the situation in a manner that returns everything in order. You can’t “remove” insults, but you can certainly give me my money back, to be shrewd.

And as for your example, if I buy that 10$ Rolex, and the guy takes my money and runs away, I’ll be calling the cops. They usually return stolen property if I’m not mistaken, if it’s possible. While in real life, tracking down some guy that took your money in an alley-way is practically impossible for the police to do, I will find it hard to believe you can’t find the person that scammed me and retrieve the stolen goods; I provided his game ID when submitting my ticket.

I’ll be expecting a positive reply to my ticket; intervening in these types of issues is the job of game masters and the support staff. Brushing it aside is by no means a way to solve the situation. Support is supposed to be personalized, and it seems to be from what I read; people getting their bans reduced after explaining the situation, thousands of people getting second chances after using exploits, case-by-case / high-profile study for exploits. Where is this kind of support, will I be getting a copy&paste “We are sorry […] nothing we can do” ? Did I pay to get scammed? That’s all I’m seeing right now, not the fun I had since the headstart, only “I got scammed and I was told they weren’t going to do anything about it”, I’m seeing some guy who scammed me logging in and playing without a care in the world, I’m seeing myself getting screwed over in some way or the other in the future; be it by a trading post hiccup or an other problem, and getting the same answer; We do not care.

I will continue on complaining until the matter is resolved, because it’s just not fair that I’m on the losing side and ArenaNet refuses to do anything, while it is totally in their power, and there is nothing I can do myself. I will continue on making long posts, I will not stop, because your job is to make sure I don’t get kitten on when I come back from work and decide that I’ll play some Guild Wars 2, and that doesn’t just mean make sure I don’t get kitten on again, that means make it like it never happened, that means make my day, make me say “hell yea, ArenaNet, I got scammed and they fixed it”, don’t let my day stay kitteny, because it’s all 0s and 1s, and you are god, no matter what you try to make me believe, because some guy over there knows the SQL query to increment my current money amount by 10000 copper and decrease the other guy’s by the same amount, and that will make my day, and it won’t ruin anyone else’s; at least not yours.

In the time you spent writing up the reply to this topic, this issue would have already been resolved. Add money to me, remove money to him, add a mark to his account. Heck, in the time I took writing this stuff, I could have figured out how to do it myself.

(edited by Tase.3294)

Scammed in-game

Posted by: Boomstars.4508

Boomstars.4508

You can keep complaining, but they will probably take action against you. It’s infuriating, I know, but it’s in the past now. Let it go, dude. The guy that scammed you is on their radar now, that’s the best you could hope for. If they intervene here they’d be expected to intervene every time someone got scammed, or changed their minds and claimed they were scammed, and there would be no time for anything else.

And, again, you should’ve been more careful. I’m sorry, but you should’ve. I don’t trade in chat for this exact reason.

Scammed in-game

Posted by: Boomstars.4508

Boomstars.4508

This is exactly why we need player to player trading or a cash on delivery.

so wait it minute. Jason Smalling says:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/bltc/Player-to-Player-trading/first

Kazim.2043:

For example one player advertising an item on shout, and made a deal with another player through chat. He sent the item through mail, but the second player did not pay back.

Is it considered officially as a scam?
Is it an official offence that might have consequences?

Yes, you can report that player as Scamming.

but then you won’t even help the people? what’s up with this?

I think the scammer is just banned, but don’t quote me on that.

Scammed in-game

Posted by: Renegadeimp.8439

Renegadeimp.8439

No player to player trade mechanic = scamming runs rampant. Its just a pity ArenaNet cant see that. Even when its happened in other MMO’s.

Scammed in-game

Smooth Penguin.5294

>Use caution and care?
>I am supposed to be afraid and weary of everyone I meet in this game?

I LOL’d at this.

>Did I pay to get scammed?

No, but a little common sense can be priceless.

>No player to player trade mechanic = scamming runs rampant

(cough)UsetheTradingPost(cough)

Ok ok, now that I got that out of my system, I can understand why Anet would ban a scammer. Duh, he’s ruining the game experience for others. However, if Anet were to babysit each and every player who made a bad choice, there would be no end to the support tickets. Soon, they’ll get requests like “I bought the wrong item from the Karma vendor, please undo my transaction so I can get my Karma back.”

Scammed in-game

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

Easiest option? Don’t trade via map-chat and mail.
We do have a trading post for that. If prices there seem to low – keep the item a little longer and wait fro prices to improve.

Polka will never die

Scammed in-game

Posted by: Irenicus.9801

Irenicus.9801

Sad to hear this, but for those arguing that using the trading post is an, or rather the, option, you are not safe from being scammed there either. And even if the scam occurs due to a bug on ArenaNet’s part, you will receive no help at all with getting the goods that you actually paid for. As a bonus, the bugged goods are still allowed on the trading post! See the following thread for more information: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/BUG-Box-of-Berserker-s-Draconic-Armor-Berserker-s-Gladiator-Armor-Sad-Charr/first

(edited by Irenicus.9801)

Scammed in-game

Tase.3294

Soon, they’ll get requests like “I bought the wrong item from the Karma vendor, please undo my transaction so I can get my Karma back.”

There are already a bunch of these requests, and the request for a “Confirm” dialog. There are also requests such as “My brother did XXX, please undo”, “I linked the wrong e-mail to my account”, bunch of other requests that are at least as demanding as mine. And those people will probably have their issue fixed.

Well, a new day, and the issue is meh, but I’m disappointed in ArenaNet, other companies such as Blizzard do act when people are scammed and items/golds are returned. I expected the same thing as ArenaNet.

PS: Go in LA and advertise “WTS Black Dye”, how many whispers? Now try “WTS Black Dye 1g”, might get less, might get more, but you’ll get a few.

(edited by Tase.3294)

Scammed in-game

Posted by: wolonggong.3469

wolonggong.3469

WHAT!

Did I just read someone from Anet stating that this is not a scam after their telling us over and over that they wont give us P2P trading in order to STOP SCAMS!

All you did was make it easier for more people to get scammed just because they elect NOT to have to run back to town to a trader NPC to get a freaking item when every other MMO allows P2P trading or emails with CODs…

This company is really starting tokitten me off…

Scammed in-game

Posted by: OurDelusions.2635

OurDelusions.2635

tase, at the end of the day, this is your fault and your responsibility. Just move on and try not to get scammed again. There will always be scammers, and undoing things for people will just clog up the real issues like making the game better.

End of Witty Comments. Semper Fi kiddies.
Don’t chase shadows, cuz you just might find whats in ’em – Cpl Braunsberg

Scammed in-game

Smooth Penguin.5294

>wolonggong

Anet didn’t make it easier for people to get scammed. The naive players who are too trusting make the scammers look more successful.

>OurDelusions
>tase, at the end of the day, this is your fault and your responsibility

+1 to you good sir

Scammed in-game

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

No player to player trade mechanic = scamming runs rampant. Its just a pity ArenaNet cant see that. Even when its happened in other MMO’s.

There was P2P trading in Guild Wars 1, complete with a trade window, and unsuspecting people still got scammed. The trading post has everything sell-able available now. I may be in the minority here, but I like the fact that P2P trading isn’t in the game, WTS spam in chat is annoying.

Scammed in-game

Posted by: WildFire.8756

WildFire.8756

Are you people kidding? If there is a risk of being scammed, DON’T DO IT. There is a reason why they don’t want this in the game, the Trading Post is a Gold Sink that also stops ALL scamming from ever being an issue.

Use the trading post or take the risk, It’s not ArenaNet’s fault that you got yourself scammed – don’t trade through mail it’s that simple.

Scammed in-game

Posted by: Irenicus.9801

Irenicus.9801

Dear WildFire, as the link in my post above shows, the Trading Post does not protect buyers from being scammed. Hence it does not stop ALL scamming from ever being an issue. This scam is based on a bug on ArenaNet’s part and is a major issue right now for people who have literally lost ~6-15 gold. Further, it is a future issue for those who will lose such amounts because ArenaNet, despite knowing that the goods are bugged, is not removing the scammers goods from the Trading Post, nor are they providing the buyers with the actual goods that they bought. The trading post might be a buyers best chance of getting their goods, but it is not scam-proof.

Scammed in-game

Posted by: EvilParfait.7538

EvilParfait.7538

Tase — it’s really difficult, nearly impossible, for our team to intercede in what are, essentially, “Gentlemen’s agreements.” You said the price was “too good to be true” and yet you accepted it and got burned. Like the guy in the alley who says he’s going to sell you a “Rolex” watch for 10 bucks?

I sympathize, we all sympathize, but getting in the middle of every transaction is just not in the cards. Reporting the situation is good — it makes us aware of the unscrupulous players and, once highlighted, may allow us to track a history of bad behavior that results in their removal from the game. But it’s truly unlikely that we will be able to give that item or gold back for you.

In all transactions, use caution and care, just as you do in real life.

I also got scammed and sent in a ticket only to be told there is nothing you guys could do. A lot of people had to resort to mail, which CONVENIENTLY doesn’t have a cash on delivery option for trade. Why?

Because Trading Post/Auction House technology is new and frightening! Oh wait, no, we mastered that awhile back didn’t we? So it was down for what, two weeks? Our banks were full (almost convenient how that happened? Forced a lot of us to buy bank slots) and we had to get rid of some things.

Some disreputable player comes along and steals our item. And you say you can’t do anything? Not even ingame mediation?

You aren’t sympathetic, you are apathetic.

(edited by EvilParfait.7538)

Scammed in-game

Posted by: Kazness.5132

Kazness.5132

so bottomline…scam all u want no1 gives a kitten lol

Scammed in-game

Posted by: Stan.5018

Stan.5018

If you wont intercede in “Gentlemen’s Agreements” why cant you simply remove the no scamming rule from the Code of Conduct.

Then people can scam to their hearts content and we can have a far more vibrant game where we dont just reward a sterile game play style ?

If you can check up chat logs for the numerous reports you must get from players trying to get other players into trouble for talking – you can surely pull up the chat logs for alleged scams and see what was actually said ……

Scammed in-game

Smooth Penguin.5294

>Kazness
>Stan

It would seem that you support players making bad decisions? Do you blindly give your creditcard information to random people calling your phone, asking for donations to save that mysterious Nigerian prince in jail?

Scam prevention starts WITH THE PLAYER. If you don’t want to use the Trading Post as the official marketplace, and would rather take the chance with total strangers via the Mail system, by all means go for it. But if the transaction falls apart, don’t be flooding Anet with trouble tickets for your failure in judgement.

You wanna know what the true bottom line is? Stupidity costs you Gold. Listen to Gaile and the other players who shake their heads each time someone plays the victim card. One way to look at it is to imagine this as a real life transaction on the streets. If a homeless lady tells you she has a $50 deal for a good time, would you pay her? And if you get arrested because the lady was an undercover cop looking for “Johns”, think they’ll let you go for “poor judgement”? I would love to have a real life place to submit trouble tickets for this, because I would work there part-time for the LOLZ.

As GI Joe once said, “Knowing is half the battle”

Scammed in-game

Posted by: Quinci.5968

Quinci.5968

This is why you are supposed to trade using the TRADING post. See look, the word trade is even in the name.

Scammed in-game

Posted by: sdsakuragi.8170

sdsakuragi.8170

I do believe the lack of face to face trading was a conscious design choice. As inconvenient as it is for some people not to be able to conduct these trades and deal with the lack of enforcement, the idea is to push the in-game economy to the TP and spare the rest of us incessant WTS spams.

A few years back in GW1, if you went into Lion’s Arch it was impossible to follow a conversation with everyone and their mom spamming WTS/WTT/WTB. And once people figured out that they weren’t being heard because people would disable the Trade channel, they started spamming in General chat, you know, just in case you really did want to buy from them after all.

So yea, I hope they NEVER bring back a direct player to player trading/selling mechanism.