Screen Is Interlaced

Screen Is Interlaced

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: TactualRain.7109

TactualRain.7109

There’s a common OS X “feature” whereby HDMI connected monitors will present to the OS a bunch of resolutions. If you’ve got say 1080p (1920×1080), the monitors usually present 1080i before 1080p – so when the app requests a resolution, it grabs the first 1920×1080 res and the game runs interlaced (yuck).

I don’t know of any games that don’t have this problem – Diablo 3 and StarCraft II both have it – but those games have a workaround. The workaround is windowed mode but full screen – so it overlays everything else.

At the moment the workaround is to run it windowed, but at a sub-optimal resolution (because “windowed” at 1920×1080 runs off the bottom edge of the screen).

I can see a few possible workarounds…
1. Windowed to maximum available resolution minus the dock and menu bar;
2. Windowed at full screen;
3. Fix the app so it grabs 1080p over 1080i as a preference.

Attachments:

Screen Is Interlaced

Posted by: Sleix.7438

Sleix.7438

I found that this same issue pervades a lot of the popular MMOs I’ve played under OS X, and I’d like to see if there’s a way to force the client to choose progressive over interlaced, as it is annoying to have to deal with these workarounds. Any chance that this can be introduced sometime down the road?

Screen Is Interlaced

TactualRain.7109

I’ve tried to log this to support to get a ticket raised, and the support tech’s response was this:

“Please be sure the resolution of your display in OS X is also set to the correct resolution of 1920×1080 as well.”

I have nothing good to say about that response, it reminds me a bit of this:
http://americanmajority.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/not-my-job1.jpg

Screen Is Interlaced

Posted by: Idhor.1480

Idhor.1480

I have this problem too Q_Q

Screen Is Interlaced

Posted by: Todd.8162

Todd.8162

Connect your monitor using something other than HDMI? Examples: DVI, Display Port …

Screen Is Interlaced

Posted by: Idhor.1480

Idhor.1480

I have tried a software called SwitchResX but with no success
Changing to DVI same result, but i can play in fullscreen mode with VGA
Btw i’m using bootcamp instead, the Mac version has too low fps

Screen Is Interlaced

TactualRain.7109

Connect your monitor using something other than HDMI? Examples: DVI, Display Port …

/sigh

There’s always one.

Screen Is Interlaced

Posted by: Todd.8162

Todd.8162

/sigh

There’s always one.

Actually, there are at least two: DVI and Display Port. I don’t know why people want to use HDMI when other connectivity methods have been around and proven for years.

Or maybe you were trying to be funny about something else, unrelated to the topic and not contributing to a solution?

Screen Is Interlaced

TactualRain.7109

Actually, there are at least two: DVI and Display Port. I don’t know why people want to use HDMI when other connectivity methods have been around and proven for years.

I get that you don’t see a reason, and I can’t really help you with your thought process, but I can suggest that there are legitimate reasons you might have missed. Here’s a few examples:
1. Your monitor has no DVI port.
2. Your monitor has no DisplayPort.
3. Your monitor does have an HDMI port.

HDMI is as ubiquitous as DVI. It has the advantage of carrying an audio channel, as well as Ethernet, audio back, and a bunch of other cool things well outside the remit of DVI.

If you’ve got your Mac connected to a home theatre setup for playing games, then you’ll probably be wired in with HDMI, and not a DVI connection in sight.

So maybe that will help you understand why saying, “Oh, just use DVI,” is not universally helpful.

Or maybe you were trying to be funny about something else, unrelated to the topic and not contributing to a solution?

Oh it was totally related to the topic (note above) – that you presuppose that everyone’s willing to change their setup to have DVI because that’s the standard you prefer.

Seriously: if it was as easy as swapping cables, it’d be kitten fix and unworthy of posting in here. Your assumption that it’s that easy and that we’re all morons is kind of where I was going with my subtle attempt at irony.

On a helpful note, I’ve logged this with ANet – they’ve said they’ve passed the bug up stream. That is, there is no fix, it’s a problem that needs resolution. No comment on what that fix will be, or if they’ll even fix it, but they acknowledged the problem.

Screen Is Interlaced

Posted by: Giddeon.3429

Giddeon.3429

bump

This is still a technical issue / bug that needs to be fixed.