Screen Locks Up Randomly

Screen Locks Up Randomly

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Geilnor.3541

Geilnor.3541

Hey guys, hopefully someone here can help me with my problem. I’ll try to make this quick.

Problem:
When my girlfriend plays GW2 she finds that the screen will completely lock up for about 1 – 4 or 5 seconds. Most of the time its very short locks that last anywhere between .5 to 2 seconds. Most of the time the audio also continues to play through, but during the larger screen locks the audio cuts off.

Laptop Specs:
Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit
GPU: nVidia GeForce 660M
Drivers: GeForce 320.49 (Latest according to their website)
Processor: i7-3630QM @ 2.4GHz (8 CPUs)
RAM: 8GB

I personally thought it might have something to do with the graphics card but the computer used to run the game fine a few months ago when we used to play all the time. Since we started playing again this issue came up. Not personally I don’t think it’s so bad as much as it is annoying. She also has very thin patience and that doesn’t help! :P Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Screen Locks Up Randomly

Geilnor.3541

Just downloaded RealTemp 3.70 to check CPU and GPU temperatures.
While IDLE in-game CPU Cores seem to vary from 65 Lowest to 75 Highest.
While IDLE in-game GPU seems to be around 50 – 52 degrees.

I will try some PVP with this one and check temperatures in another 10 mins.

Screen Locks Up Randomly

Geilnor.3541

After some SPVP temperature readings show 78 degrees lowet and peaking at around 89 degrees. During that GPU temperature peaked at 78 Degrees but mostly stuck around 65 degrees.

Also I went into nVidia Control Panel and switched GW2.exe to work off High Performance and in the past few games the screen hasn’t locked up. Here’s hoping for the best.

If anyone has any suggestions however please feel free to post.

Screen Locks Up Randomly

Geilnor.3541

Seems’s to have gotten lost in the posts, does anyone have any input on the matter?

Screen Locks Up Randomly

Posted by: tota.4893

tota.4893

Have you tried a different driver version? All the recent 320.xx drivers from Nvidia are very unstable with some cards. It’s much worse with 400 and 500 series GPUs, but some have been complaining of issues with newer GPUs too.

My otherwise perfectly stable system started having screen freezes and then locked up within 15 minutes of installing the first 320 WHQL driver, while browsing around with Firefox. The GTX 560 Ti’s fan started screaming like the card was about to burn out, and didn’t generate a signal for the screen again until I unplugged the computer for a moment.

Downgraded drivers to 314.22, not a single problem since then.