Server Transfer/No Character Question

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Raim.6123

Raim.6123

So I was misinformed by a friend about what server he had picked when he started a few days ago, and as a result I picked the wrong server and have to wait 7 days for the transfer to be available. Do you think support staff would allow a transfer if the account had no characters on it?

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I doubt it but you can always ask. Go to the support tab at the top of the page then go to ‘ask a question’ and make out a ticket.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

So I was misinformed by a friend about what server he had picked when he started a few days ago, and as a result I picked the wrong server and have to wait 7 days for the transfer to be available. Do you think support staff would allow a transfer if the account had no characters on it?

You will be able to transfer for free, sure. But we cannot lift the 7-day cooldown period. Please be patient and transfer for free after 7 days. You will need to be sure you have no characters on your account, and if you have acquired anything, please move it to storage and do not leave it on the characters you delete.

I doubt it but you can always ask. Go to the support tab at the top of the page then go to ‘ask a question’ and make out a ticket.

It would be appreciated if you do not suggest that everyone submit a ticket. Sometimes, a policy is clear, communicated, and immutable. For instance, in this case, we cannot and will not reduce the 7-day cool-down period, and we’ve made that clear many times. Therefore, there’s no point in suggesting that someone write Support to ask for an exception.

We want to keep our ticket turn-around times as low as possible, and that means that it’s best not to encourage someone to submit a ticket “just in case” or because “it doesn’t hurt to ask.” Those tickets take time, and they delay answers to those we can help. So please analyze the subject matter and suggest that someone submit a ticket only when there really is a possibility that CS can help the individual through that ticket. In this case, the policy makes it clear that we would not eliminate the 7-day cool-down period.

Thanks for understanding.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: Pook.2097

Pook.2097

This seems awfully harsh. Friend basically has to wait 7 days to play your game because he picked the wrong server in the first 5 minutes. Is there somewhere that explains what the danger of a character-less account switching servers without a cooldown is, because I guess I am not seeing it.

Finally convinced a group of friends to come and play for the WvW, but have no clue if the interest will remain a week from now. They created a character just to get a sense of what character creation was like, without knowing there were such harsh consequences for picking a “home server”. They can’t even get started now, because as soon as they create characters on another server, they face a hefty transfer fee once the 7 day period is up. Just a strange policy in my opinion. Not sure how a brand new player is expected to know these policies. I certainly didn’t, and I have been playing for a long time. I have never switched servers, so I guess it must spell it out in detail somewhere I have never been.

Sorry for bumping a relatively “old” post, but the search function brought me to this, and it fit our circumstance perfectly. Making a new post seemed a bit silly.

(edited by Pook.2097)

Posted by: SandraSolace.7682

SandraSolace.7682

Finally convinced a group of friends to come and play for the WvW, but have no clue if the interest will remain a week from now. They created a character just to get a sense of what character creation was like, without knowing there were such harsh consequences for picking a “home server”. They can’t even get started now, because as soon as they create characters on another server, they face a hefty transfer fee once the 7 day period is up. Just a strange policy in my opinion. Not sure how a brand new player is expected to know these policies. I certainly didn’t, and I have been playing for a long time. I have never switched servers, so I guess it must spell it out in detail somewhere I have never been.

I agree that new players mostly don’t know these things when starting the game and it would be too easy to say " before you start read the forum/wiki/ect. to learn the rules.

But your friends can experiment for a bit during that week. Because if they delete the chars they make (and store all non soul-bound stuff in the bank) they can transfer for free. And in the mean time they can get a feel for the game and maybe even guest to your server for some PvP.

Hope this helps a little.

Pook.2097

Appreciate the response. It’s just a hard sell to tell someone to play for a week and then delete all of your progress to transfer. I understand the overall goal of the policy, but do not understand why the 7 day cooldown applies to new accounts or to accounts with no characters. Are they really such a danger to WvW balance?

Ah well, will just have to hope that their enthusiasm for the game remains, even after such an inauspicious start.

SandraSolace.7682

Yeah, that is why it was instated. There were people abusing the system before and that did manipulate WvW.

But I’m sure your friends will remain enthusiastic. Plus as an added bonus, if they do start playing during those 7 days, they can already make some money and have a chance to redo a char if it was not exactly like they wanted it.
So there could actually be some perks from this.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I am inquiring about this. I would like to see a change in how we handle these particular requests, so I’ll update if that happens!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: kaat.8237

kaat.8237

That or one free transfer within the first 30/60 days of creating an account.

MARA on Gunner’s Hold

Pook.2097

Just wanted to update, and to give a shout out with how impressed I am with the service on this issue. Our issue was handled overnight in a very satisfactory manner by a CSR, and we are off and running. Appreciate the quick response and think it’s great when a company can recognize when an umbrella policy might not cover every situation perfectly, and works to get it solved. What could have been an extreme annoyance for our group instead became a positive experience.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Ok, policy change made (or at least clarified for everyone).

In a situation where a new account holder/player starts the game and realizes he or she chose a game world in error, if that player contacts Customer Support (via a ticket, Click “Support” above and then “Submit a request”) we most likely will be able to accommodate a transfer request.

Exceptions may apply. For instance, if someone is playing on his/her second account, game world selection is not a new experience and I don’t see us offering this service. The free transfer without cool-down is intended for players who are totally new to Guild Wars 2.

This means a brand new player will not need to wait for a 7-day cool-down period but can get moved to the game world his/her friends are playing on without delay. This should happen when a player submits a ticket right away, within 24 hours of account creation.

Please let me know if you have questions, and I’m glad this sorted out perfectly for your friend!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Previous

Gaile Gray

That or one free transfer within the first 30/60 days of creating an account.

I’m afraid that negates the reasoning behind the cool-down period and is, unfortunately, too likely to be abused. The policy for new players is going to address this, but thanks for the suggestion!

Just wanted to update, and to give a shout out with how impressed I am with the service on this issue. Our issue was handled overnight in a very satisfactory manner by a CSR, and we are off and running. Appreciate the quick response and think it’s great when a company can recognize when an umbrella policy might not cover every situation perfectly, and works to get it solved. What could have been an extreme annoyance for our group instead became a positive experience.

So glad everyone is happy. Yep, we look at policies all the time to make sure we’re doing the maximum we can for every player. Raim, welcome to Tyria! And Pook, if your friend is a different person, pass along that greeting for me!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

Ok, policy change made (or at least clarified for everyone).

In a situation where a new account holder/player starts the game and realizes he or she chose a game world in error, if that player contacts Customer Support (via a ticket, Click “Support” above and then “Submit a request”) we most likely will be able to accommodate a transfer request.

Exceptions may apply. For instance, if someone is playing on his/her second account, game world selection is not a new experience and I don’t see us offering this service. The free transfer without cool-down is intended for players who are totally new to Guild Wars 2.

This means a brand new player will not need to wait for a 7-day cool-down period but can get moved to the game world his/her friends are playing on without delay. This should happen when a player submits a ticket right away, within 24 hours of account creation.

Please let me know if you have questions, and I’m glad this sorted out perfectly for your friend!

Will CS require a deletion of all characters for this?

SandraSolace.7682

Awesome solution, cause I too saw two sides on this.
I’m glad it’s made easier for new players!