Stop ignoring us with 4k displays!!!

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Darcwolf.6817

Darcwolf.6817

This is ridiculous, I have posted here multiple times, after being told in a support ticket to post here, nothing is done. 4k NEEDS a larger interface, the game looks absolutely amazing, UNTIL you try to read chat, player names, skill description, ANYTHING! Just do a quick google search, I am not the only one asking for this.

Posted by: infinityandbeyond.9652

infinityandbeyond.9652

I’m hoping that they will now have more time to consider fixing this now that HoT is released. In the scheme of things i cant see it being that hard for them to do. Fingers crossed

Infi Erratum.
Snafs Golem Emporium SoS

Darcwolf.6817

I’m hoping that they will now have more time to consider fixing this now that HoT is released. In the scheme of things i cant see it being that hard for them to do. Fingers crossed

Exactly, I literally built my newest pc around playing at 4k, every other game I play it scales appropriately, but this game….. seriously, how hard is it to bump a font size.

Posted by: Mousa.3081

Mousa.3081

Exactly, I literally built my newest pc around playing at 4k, every other game I play it scales appropriately, but this game….. seriously, how hard is it to bump a font size.

4k what exactly? Are you talking about resolution or something?

Posted by: deadonarrival.9234

deadonarrival.9234

There are like 4 people in the US who own 4k. I’m sure they will spend their entire profit into pleasing those people. Just my 2 cent.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

There are like 4 people in the US who own 4k. I’m sure they will spend their entire profit into pleasing those people. Just my 2 cent.

4K displays are increasingly becoming mainstream, even on a lot of laptops… What a poor attitude to have and a dreadful opinion. I don’t have a 4K display on my 4 year old computer, but when I next buy a computer chances are it may well be a 4K computer..

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Cheapest at NewEgg is $350 for a 600mm (~24") panel.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Darcwolf.6817

4 people in the U.S? Do you live in the backwoods of Mississippi or something? Just because you don’t have it, doesn’t mean others don’t. I am using a 4k 60 inch tv that I paid $900 for.

Also, since HoT the game crashes A LOT in 4k, drop it to 1080p and it doesn’t.

(edited by Darcwolf.6817)

Behellagh.1468

4 people in the U.S? Do you live in the backwoods of Mississippi or something? Just because you don’t have it, doesn’t mean others don’t. I am using a 4k 60 inch tv that I paid $900 for.

As a more “casual” game, I suspect that there are a lot of players who are running on rigs that cost less than your TV.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Wyvern.2430

Wyvern.2430

4K is becoming more and more common. I have a dual 4K setup (bought 2 24inch 4k dell monitors on eBay) and the only game I play is GW2, several of my friends have similar setups.

I would like a bigger mouse pointer, since I always loose him (hides on the second screen). That is the most irritating thing about GW2 on 4K.
Interface can be scaled and is ok, but improvements are still needed.

Darcwolf.6817

As a more “casual” game, I suspect that there are a lot of players who are running on rigs that cost less than your TV.

So me and others gamers should be penalized because you can’t afford 4k?

Behellagh.1468

It’s a matter of where resources are best spent. Working on a UI update for 4K players or something that affects everybody.

I’ve always considered arbitrary resolution increases in PC gaming simply as a reason to up sell uber high end video cards and/or multi GPU setups. Review sites use them as benchmarks, simply because 1080P doesn’t show a whole lot of difference anymore so it all becomes a vicious circle to sell $2K+ rigs.

RIP City of Heroes

infinityandbeyond.9652

Yes,yes,yes,yes Behellgh, you say this anytime a 4k monitor thread pops up. Your opinion is largely irrelevant as the people asking for it do own the hardware and will keep asking for a fix until it’s done, which it will be, eventually…….

Infi Erratum.
Snafs Golem Emporium SoS

Posted by: chemie banger.9624

chemie banger.9624

I’ve only ever used my 4k on 4k for a few minutes. 1080 is fine.
I’d prefer games be able to operate at the lowest specs possible.

Behellagh.1468

Yes,yes,yes,yes Behellgh, you say this anytime a 4k monitor thread pops up. Your opinion is largely irrelevant as the people asking for it do own the hardware and will keep asking for a fix until it’s done, which it will be, eventually…….

Doesn’t matter. ANet has a fix amount of people who could do this work and they get scheduled to do stuff that affects the most players first. So unless someone pulls a Joel and does work on it “off the clock” because it’s something they want, it’s probably not coming anytime soon.

Not saying you should stop asking for it, just understand that QoL work tends to be prioritized by how many players it will affect/help.

RIP City of Heroes

infinityandbeyond.9652

Doesn’t matter. ANet has a fix amount of people who could do this work and they get scheduled to do stuff that affects the most players first. So unless someone pulls a Joel and does work on it “off the clock” because it’s something they want, it’s probably not coming anytime soon.

Not saying you should stop asking for it, just understand that QoL work tends to be prioritized by how many players it will affect/help.

Yes, we’ll continue to ask for it.

Infi Erratum.
Snafs Golem Emporium SoS

Posted by: Hydro.7963

Hydro.7963

Hey,

I’m looking to buy a 4k monitor and I was wondering if my current computer is good enough to run GW2 on it. It’s the only game I play so no need to worry about other stuff I’m gonna do. My current setup looks like this:

intel i5-4590
Nvidia GTX 960
8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz

Cheers

Posted by: Nick.8256

Nick.8256

Well some UI scaling love would be nice regardless if you have a 4k display or not. With technologies like VSR (amd) and DSR (nvidia) you can enjoy some of the benefits without the need for a new 4k monitor so why not keep up with the times?
Personally I am disappointed it wasn’t taken care of with the x-pack. It’s something we’ve been asking for since the beginning and would be welcomed even for those on 2k displays

(edited by Nick.8256)

Hydro.7963

I would like to add that I exclusively play PvE, so no huge zerg vs zerg fights or any of that sort.

Posted by: Judge.1923

Judge.1923

Low fps, I run dual 760’s, can stay usually at 60-70fps, 40 during meta pve events.

I’d suggest sli’ing the 960 as it would be budget route than dropping for a 980 as two 960’s would out perform.

Hydro.7963

Unfortunately, my motherboard doesn’t support SLI, only CrossFire. What would be a suitable upgrade for not too much money? Getting 980, another 960+motherboard, a better single GPU or something else all together?

Would it maybe be possible to just get away with my current system and take a slight FPS drop for granted or can you tell for sure that what I currently have definitely isn’t gonna cut it?

Posted by: Bendek Stormsaver.3812

Bendek Stormsaver.3812

I have a Samsung U28D590D ? 28" LED Monitor for my personal rig. 4k at a good fps requires a pretty serious rig. I’m running a 980TI and I reach around 60fps. One of the great things is that you can completely turn off AA and not ever see jagged edges on textures. That may save you some framerates here in there. I might add that zerks and huge group stuff will kill your FPS either way.

infinityandbeyond.9652

Hey,

I’m looking to buy a 4k monitor and I was wondering if my current computer is good enough to run GW2 on it. It’s the only game I play so no need to worry about other stuff I’m gonna do. My current setup looks like this:

intel i5-4590
Nvidia GTX 960

Cheers

Hello

Running a gtx 980 ti here. Had a 980 previously and it didn’t perform well enough with gw2 at 4k so i upgraded. Happy now

Infi Erratum.
Snafs Golem Emporium SoS

Hydro.7963

Aight, so looks like what I currently have isn’t even close enough.

Then here’s my next question. How would it look if I would keep playing in 1080p. At the moment I have a 27" 1080p monitor I’m considering is a 24" 2160p monitor. My reason is that my current monitor is too large for my desk so I’m gonna sell it and I’m just exploring my options for the replacement. I would really appreciate the extra pixels for stuff outside of gaming so playing GW2 at 4k isn’t my only goal. How would it be to keep playing GW2 on 1080p, but on 4k monitor? In theory I would say it would be fine, maybe even sharper, since I’m going from 27" to 24" while having the same resolution I’m playing at right now. Just a theory though, how would that be in reality?

(edited by Hydro.7963)

Posted by: MrFayth.3546

MrFayth.3546

I know of at least half a dozen people in my area alone who game at 4k, not to mention tons more online. You should actually do a little more research before opening your keyboard again. Might look a little smarter that way. Just because you don’t have one doesn’t mean that lots of people don’t either. Lots do and that’s getting bigger all the time.

This Steam Survey seems to paint an entirely different picture, with 27% of people playing on 1366 × 768(laptop resolution,typically), 34% playing on 1080p and .06% of people on 4k. By no means is it the end-all of Primary Monitor Resolution Surveys and im not sure how many of the 100 million active steam users were surveyed,but its better than your “tons”

Behellagh, Are you really that dense or are you just being stupid on purpose?

You should actually do a little more research before opening your keyboard again. Might look a little smarter that way.

Just wow.

i5 4690k @4.1ghz, r7 260x 1180/1680,8Gb G.skill Ripjaw 2133, 120gb ssd Gw2+OS

Behellagh.1468

Current Steam Survey says less than 1.5% have a monitor over 1920×1080/1200. Compared to 36% with 1920×1080/1200 monitors.

Yes if you have the lastest GPUs the drivers allow coning apps into believing you have a 4K monitor while only having 2K but then the question is how many of those rigs have GPUs that the driver will expose that option to.

I don’t dispute that 4K is rising, I pointed out as my first post that 4K monitors are relatively inexpensive now. I simply contend that in the big scheme of things on ANet’s plate, adding 4K UI support is likely not that high on what needs to be done list by the UI team.

So, dial it back a smidgen their mate.

Edit delayed due to forum issues (at least for me).

RIP City of Heroes

Behellagh.1468

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Maze.3825

Maze.3825

Bellegraph,
Your speculation helps no one. You just seem to have an incessant need to preach here.
Pardon the misspelling.

Behellagh.1468

Bellegraph,
Your speculation helps no one. You just seem to have an incessant need to preach here.
Pardon the misspelling.

All I’m preaching is patience and understanding about how software development generally works.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Bellegraph,
Pardon the misspelling.

All I’m preaching is patience and understanding about how software development generally works.

Actually you’re continually posting and trying to minimise an issue that other people are having. Everyone in this topic gets that you don’t think 4K is very widespread and don’t think that the devs will have the time or resources to put into it as it isnt a priority. You said your piece, why not just stop posting in this topic?

While I don’t think 4K is very widespread, I don’t understand why the game doesn’t have some kind of UI scaling anyway. That would negate the need to support specific resolutions as people would just be able to make it as big or small as they wanted. It would also be a boon to people with smaller resolutions, of which there are many, because they would be able to decrease the size. The smallest UI size isn’t that small. And clearly if you’re using a screen with a high resolution the biggest isn’t that big.

Behellagh.1468

For those who have 4K it’s not a minor issue, I know that. But the vibe I get from some is “I have an expensive setup so help me first” and that’s not how project scheduling works. It’s almost always how many will benefit for the manhour cost relative to other issues on the stack of things to do as well as priority set by senior management.

Maybe if Colin or MO gets a 4K display …

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

On Mac page president of Anet is always with Mac and we see how good that work for Mac client so maybe not so good for 4k also.

On top of it all, ArenaNet staffers are big fans of Macs. We offer them as part of our employee laptop subsidy program, and our president Mike O’Brien is rarely seen without his Mac laptop. We’re as excited as anyone to play Guild Wars 2 on OS X.

Sorry do not mean to go off topic just thought that funny.

;)

Posted by: eliteblast.6403

eliteblast.6403

I play with 3 70 inch 4k tvs crossfied with 3 fury x video cards, and the chat is nearly unreadable if you’re farther than 3-4 feet away, but I live with it.

I think ui scaling needs to go from 150 percent to 450 percent, this should be an easy thing to change with a simple edit to ui scaling code to incorporate a larger enlargement options based on scaling maths.

I think it would take me 10 minutes to change, that’s without any experience with your source code, and me just modifying the algorithm in the code.

Behellagh.1468

On Mac page president of Anet is always with Mac and we see how good that work for Mac client so maybe not so good for 4k also.

On top of it all, ArenaNet staffers are big fans of Macs. We offer them as part of our employee laptop subsidy program, and our president Mike O’Brien is rarely seen without his Mac laptop. We’re as excited as anyone to play Guild Wars 2 on OS X.

Sorry do not mean to go off topic just thought that funny.

Well we know they aren’t playing on Macs then.

Or maybe that’s why they think the performance on the PC is fine …

RIP City of Heroes

Darcwolf.6817

It’s a matter of where resources are best spent. Working on a UI update for 4K players or something that affects everybody.

I’ve always considered arbitrary resolution increases in PC gaming simply as a reason to up sell uber high end video cards and/or multi GPU setups. Review sites use them as benchmarks, simply because 1080P doesn’t show a whole lot of difference anymore so it all becomes a vicious circle to sell $2K+ rigs.

you need to get your eyes checked, gw2, and every other game out there I have played look a TON BETTER on 4k, another major reason for this is you don’t need anti aliasing on, so it offsets the need for more horsepower.

Darcwolf.6817

Hey,

intel i5-4590
Nvidia GTX 960

Cheers

No, a gtx 960 will not be able to handle 4k, unless you turn down all your settings. My 980ti struggles at times, plus the user interface is garbage with the current size. Just stick with 1080p for now until you upgrade your video card, or until anet decides to get off their kitten and change the interface size.

Darcwolf.6817

Bellegraph,
Pardon the misspelling.

I have been patient and understanding for too kitten long, this is a simple fix, why are you so against it? I bet you were one of those people who hung onto 32 bit cpus until the very end also.

Darcwolf.6817

For those who have 4K it’s not a minor issue, I know that. But the vibe I get from some is “I have an expensive setup so help me first” and that’s not how project scheduling works. It’s almost always how many will benefit for the manhour cost relative to other issues on the stack of things to do as well as priority set by senior management.

Help me first? What??? Some of us have been waiting years, how are we saying to help us first, anet has continued to put out living world, game tweaks and class changes (that aren’t needed imo)look how long it took them to fix things like charr footprints, they are too busy trying to do new things instead of fixing existing issues. And manhour cost? I think you mean manminute cost.

Darcwolf.6817

After some searching I located a 3rd party mod to adjust the UI size although i’m afraid it’s probably against the terms of service so I won’t list it here or use it myself …….

please message me with it, I am willing to take the risk on a ban, cause I’m sick of this.

Behellagh.1468

Bellegraph,
Pardon the misspelling.

I have been patient and understanding for too kitten long, this is a simple fix, why are you so against it? I bet you were one of those people who hung onto 32 bit cpus until the very end also.

I’m not against it. Where do I say I’m against it. I’m saying it won’t likely be a priority until their own internal hardware/settings survey dings past a certain percentage when another QoL release starts to get discussed.

Help me first? What??? Some of us have been waiting years, how are we saying to help us first, anet has continued to put out living world, game tweaks and class changes (that aren’t needed imo)look how long it took them to fix things like charr footprints, they are too busy trying to do new things instead of fixing existing issues. And manhour cost? I think you mean manminute cost.

Years. So you were on the bleeding edge when even less people had them and GPU hardware and drivers couldn’t fake that resolution for lower resolution monitors.

Again, manpower is assigned where it will do the most good to the most people first based on ANet’s perception of what’s “the most good”. 4K simply isn’t at the top of the pile yet for the team who takes care of issues like that. It certainly wasn’t “years ago” but as adoption rates increase and players hardware get refreshed it becomes more and more likely.

This is just like the threads on Dx11/12/Mantle/Vulkan/VR Headset, just because it’s the latest tech doesn’t mean it automatically becomes a priority to adopt and/or support.

Edit: combined replies.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

This is just like the threads on Dx11/12/Mantle/Vulkan/VR Headset, just because it’s the latest tech doesn’t mean it automatically becomes a priority to adopt and/or support.

There’s a huge difference between UI scaling and asking for all of that much more complicated crap.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

(edited by Fermi.2409)

Behellagh.1468

There’s a huge difference between UI scaling and asking for all of that much more complicated crap.

Perhaps.

But when they were developing the game, they might have never considered resolutions beyond 1920×1080/1200 for a single display then it’s still a request driven by new hardware.

It’s the same in my book as topics like …

• I have 32GB, why am I getting OOM errors?
  • My 4/6/8/12/16 core CPU is using less than 100%, why isn’t it scaling with number of cores (more likely number of simultaneous threads than actual cores)?
  • I updated my GPU with something that’s twice as fast in Far Call of Battle Duty 23 so why didn’t I get a similar bump in performance here?

and all these topics conclude with a demand to “fix it”. And all based around advances in hardware since the game’s tech foundation was laid.

RIP City of Heroes

Darcwolf.6817

Perhaps.

But when they were developing the game, they might have never considered resolutions beyond 1920×1080/1200 for a single display then it’s still a request driven by new hardware.

They didn’t think about it…. that’s why the option for that resolution is there right? facedesk

And for the billionth time, this isn’t bleeding edge, a year ago nvidia and amd brought out the technology to scale 4k on a 1080p monitor, 4k was out before that. You have no proof besides your steam numbers, which doesn’t include things like ubisoft games using uplay, or ea’s origin, and even if its only 1% of the people on steam there are 125 million people on steam, that means over 1 million people are using 4k, plus however many on other services that aren’t reported.

(edited by Darcwolf.6817)

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

Except it’s not. Those are much more involved fixes which would required huge portions of the game to be recoded (except the GPU one, that’s never really going to be an issue) while adding more UI scaling options is much easier.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Behellagh.1468

Perhaps.

They didn’t think about it…. that’s why the option for that resolution is there right? facedesk

And for the billionth time, this isn’t bleeding edge, a year ago nvidia and amd brought out the technology to scale 4k on a 1080p monitor, 4k was out before that. You have no proof besides your steam numbers, which doesn’t include things like ubisoft games using uplay, or ea’s origin, and even if its only 1% of the people on steam there are 125 million people on steam, that means over 1 million people are using 4k, plus however many on other services that aren’t reported.

The option is there because that resolution is supported by the driver and your monitor. ANet didn’t code that other than request a list of available resolutions for your setup.

So one of every 56 people on the planet are on Steam? Impressive.

Agreed, Steam doesn’t represent everyone but it is one with a public face of hardware connected to it. And using Steam doesn’t mean those systems aren’t also using those services you mention, they aren’t mutually exclusive. Also the survey is opt-in. And the results may be skewed by spare/hand me down hardware still active but are no longer the primary rig. It also doesn’t divide laptops from desktops explicitly. But it’s better than pulling numbers out of the air.

And I’ve acknowledge the driver updates that fake out the resolution of the monitor to a game, however the option only shows up on the current generations of hardware. Not everyone upgrade their rig every year.

The only people who have hard numbers of what resolutions that players are running at ANet.

Now wouldn’t it make sense that if it’s as widely adopted and so easy to fix, as some armchair developers claim, that it would have been an low hanging QoL feature they would have tossed in? These are the kind of features developers love to give customers because the work required is minimal and straightforward and the praise is high.

And let me get back to another point you made.

I am using a 4k 60 inch tv that I paid $900 for.

My 980ti struggles at times …

Taken together, with over $1500 devoted to just the video side of your rig while believing you are being penalized because ANet doesn’t cater to 4K players like you is the epitome of entitlement. How dare ANet not cater to your needs over all those mundanes who can’t afford a tiny God rig. That attitude riles me.

All I’ve ever council in this thread patience and understand as to why this isn’t on the top of their to do list yet. Yet I get accused for not wanting it. For telling people to stop asking for it. That I’m a tech Luddite. And worse.

But a consolidated thread asking for something than shotgunning a handful of threads where the same people cross post. And it doesn’t hurt to use a little sugar rather than the attitude.

RIP City of Heroes

Behellagh.1468

Except it’s not. Those are much more involved fixes which would required huge portions of the game to be recoded (except the GPU one, that’s never really going to be an issue) while adding more UI scaling options is much easier.

They are all hardware issues that players believe that the software should automagically support because they upgraded.

How many “GW2 uses a single core” or “why doesn’t my 8 core FX run better” or “my new $300 video card doesn’t make a difference” threads have you seen in the forums over the years Fermi?

This is just another “I upgraded my hardware so why doesn’t the game support it well thread”. Nobody want reasons, they want the money they spent to do something because they wrongly thought it would make a difference.

And in this case it’s not like it breaks the game. If the UI is too small at 4K, run it at 1080p for now and ask nicely. But do realize that this isn’t commonplace yet.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: StoryMode.8256

StoryMode.8256

I completely understand the frustration here. I had a 55inch 4k Samsung tv and even at “larger” ui it was hard to see, I would drop it to 1440p just to fix this… however, I recently upgraded to a 65inch Samsung 4k SUHD monitor and the extra 10 inches makes “Larger” look just fine =x I know its not a fix, but just thought I’d thrown in my experience.

So yes, Arenanet, you need a 65inch display for 4k to even be readable.

As for running it any lower than 4k, that is no longer an option for me. At 4k I get much deeper colors and the game looks beautiful… so 1080p and 1440p? no thanks, looks too washed out now. Spoiled I know =x sorry…