Strong Language resulting in loss of play

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

I think the problem I have with the policy regarding “strong language” and getting banned is that this is very subjective. Because this game is played in by many different people, in many different countries, with many different tolerance levels, it’s almost impossible to not offend someone.

For example, as a Canadian, I’m not particularly offended by the term “kitten”, and so if I read that in-game, I would think nothing of it. However, someone from the UK may take more offence, and report players using that word.

In my opinion I think that the policy should reflect the rating on the box. The game is currently rated T for TEEN. On the official ESRB website it explains what this means:

“TEEN
Titles rated T (Teen) have content that may be suitable for ages 13 and older. Titles in this category may contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling, and/or infrequent use of strong language.”

- Crude Humor – Depictions or dialogue involving vulgar antics, including “bathroom” humor
- Strong Language – Explicit and/or frequent use of profanity

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_guide.jsp

In my opinion this means that anyone buying this game should expect that these things may be a part of the game. The entire reason for these ratings is so people can make informed decisions about what types of things they subject themselves and their children to.

As well, the game provides users with a built in profanity filter which doesn’t need to exist, but does as an added bonus for those users who decided to accept the games rating.

So, in my opinion, users should not be banned for the use of mild language and/or crude humour in general. What really should matter is context and intent. There is a huge difference between two good friends or role-players having a conversation amongst themselves, and someone actively trolling other players.

Being disruptive, insulting, and annoying through the use of language, or other means is really what should constitute a suspension. Let those who are offended by mild language use the profanity filter, and suspend anyone else who is being disruptive. Anyone else should be safe under the terms set out by the games rating.

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Freyar.3254

Freyar.3254

I hate to say it, but in the end it’s ArenaNet’s opinion that matters, not yours.